Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My parents' neighborhood in Colorado has annoying rules... however their rule concerning pets are; that you must keep your yard upkept (more specifically, pick up the darn poop!), you aren't allowed to have 100% outside pets, if your dog barks overly much when outside and you do nothing about it you can be fined, you aren't allowed to have more than three pets (two dogs/one cat, two cats/one dog - birds, etc don't count), and you aren't allowed to breed/sell animals out of your home. The HOA used some of the money from dues awhile ago to put in these little trash cans on a pole with dog poo bags on them asking people to pick up. The problem isn't in the neighborhood, it is the people walking though and letting their dogs go in others' yards. (My dad got in a nice conversation with a man that let his dog pee and poop in our yard every morning. He doesn't anymore!)

No one really follows those rules about the number (heck, in one of the newsletters, this lady listed her name, her husband's, their kids, their two dogs, and two cats' names), just as long as you don't have a whole bunch of dogs. My parents have three dogs and three cats... however the cats never bother anyone as they are strictly indoor and the only time people outside ever see them is when they're basking in window sills giving those strangers the patented kitty evil eye. (You know the one!)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't have a HOA, but we live in a "military" housing (it's privately owned), and there are lots of rules. The rules concerning pets are:
No "dangerous" breeds (Am. Staff, APBT, Rotties, Dobermans)
Pick up your yard
Don't let your dog poo and pee in other yards, without picking up, etc.
No off-leash play except in designated dog play areas

Now, I have personally been told to put my dog back on a leash (in my own yard), even though she is very well behaved off leash, by a security officer. But, I currently have three giant dog turds in my front yard that don't belong to either of my dogs. So, the rules are only enforced if you are caught in the act.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I know someone on another forum who has a spoo, a bichon & chinese cresteds on a HOA place. She can't have a physical fence at all (and I remember her talking about having only a small choice of mail boxes! haha) so she has the underground electronic fence for the spoo & bichon, and the cresties stay on lead and/or are never out unsupervised I think? I'm not sure what other rules they have though, I personally find it all rather bizarre! lol. I guess I can see how it does make for a very 'nice' looking neighbourhood, but... I dunno. It's not for me!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not for me either, but seems all the new homes are these "planned communities" with rules and regulations. I would seriously like to move South (can't stand the snow and Fairfield County is much to expensive) but in my price range I am running into these HOA "road blocks"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts