Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually from Burnaby. Be gentle to me, this is my first doggy forum, well mainly because I don't have a dog...just yet.

My last dog was a Sheltie, loved him to bits, but lost him about 15 years ago. Our family is read to adopt, so researching whatever I can about Standards and PWD's.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My boy Dexter came from Vancouver Island.

I belong to a poodle obedience list and there seem to be a lot of OB people who have had both shelties and poodles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome - I am due South of you in Oregon. My first ever Poodle - a Standard - just turned one. I got her at 4 months. Lots of energy and very smart - so likely similar qualities to your Sheltie. In my case similar to one of my Chinese Cresteds. Wonderfully versatile dogs Poodles! I do agility (beginning because she isn't finished growing so limited jumping and no weaves), and now we have started Rally which is a very fun activity with a young Poodle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! My boy Dexter came from Vancouver Island.

I belong to a poodle obedience list and there seem to be a lot of OB people who have had both shelties and poodles.
Vancouver Island is a long ways from Washington, DC. Nice place to retire, who was your breeder?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Vancouver Island is a long ways from Washington, DC. Nice place to retire, who was your breeder?
I was in Los Angeles at the time, although I guess that still doesn't explain much, LOL. You find a breeder you like, you get on a plane... My sister flew out from Atlanta to help me pick him up and we had a blast. It is such a beautiful area.

Dexter's breeder is Suzanne Loblaw (Reigate).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome - I am due South of you in Oregon. My first ever Poodle - a Standard - just turned one. I got her at 4 months. Lots of energy and very smart - so likely similar qualities to your Sheltie. In my case similar to one of my Chinese Cresteds. Wonderfully versatile dogs Poodles! I do agility (beginning because she isn't finished growing so limited jumping and no weaves), and now we have started Rally which is a very fun activity with a young Poodle.
Thank you - I'll have to look into Rally, not familiar with it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in Los Angeles at the time, although I guess that still doesn't explain much, LOL. You find a breeder you like, you get on a plane... My sister flew out from Atlanta to help me pick him up and we had a blast. It is such a beautiful area.

Dexter's breeder is Suzanne Loblaw (Reigate).
Yes, Comox is a beautiful area...I think you and your sister would have a tough time getting in trouble there though. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes, Comox is a beautiful area...I think you and your sister would have a tough time getting in trouble there though. :)
Oh, but we spent an evening and a morning in Victoria, where you can get into a lot of trouble, LOL. But being middle-aged dog geeks, having a blast consisted of a good dinner, whale watching, and enjoying the scenery.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Welcome!!! Another canadian here (Saskatchewan)

Rally is a i dunno simpler? more user friendly version of obedience? Both Obedience and Rally are in CKC. As well as there is CARO which is rally O that doesnt' require registered/purebred dogs (Un registered but purebred dogs can get a performance # from CKC to do CKC shows)

Can't go wrong with a standard or PWD for obedience that's forsure. .

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi. I am from Saskatchewan too. I really like Vancouver. My sister used to live in Dunbar but moved to Nanaimo a couple of years ago where the property is cheaper!

I really don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere - and it made sense to me -- that Poodles are better at obedience than Porties because Porties were bred to think for themselves, to work independently of instruction - so consequently they are not really attuned to being told what to do - rather they like to make their own decisions!

Of course, that it not a criticism of Porties. Its just a comment on their breed personality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, actually from Burnaby. Be gentle to me, this is my first doggy forum, well mainly because I don't have a dog...just yet.

Welcome and hi from Alberta! I have a couple of minis but will also be adding a standard in the next year. Just can't have enough poodles! :)
Carol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts