Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I believe it. I have seen many reactions. I will never forget the one cat that was brought in after having recieved the Hartz product for fleas. The poor poor cat has scalding burns and soughing skin all over its back and sides. Its poor brother died at home from it. I have also seen neurological cases from it as well in dogs and cats. I will never touch that stuff!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is just horrifying !!!

I mean - it must also effect humans too !!!! We just do not have such a BIG reaction since the body mass is bigger :smow: but it definitely is toxic to any animal, including us. Imagine how many kids sleep with cats and dogs after that treatment :scared:

Unbelievable what is on the market and nobody was doing anything bout that for years :wacko:

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's about time they cracked down on that stuff. I have never touched it. I've seen bad skin reactions to their flea shampoos as well. I have some clients that will bring it in for me to use so they won't have to pay $5 for my flea shampoo (which is all natural and works better). I refuse to bathe the dog in it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TQ managed to lick some of her flea meds off one time... I came home to a dog that was "smacking" and shaking and drooling uncontrollably. We took her immediately to the vet and she had a shot of valium to calm her down and I was told that this was a VERY common reaction to flea/tick medication.

Needless to say, we haven't used flea and tick meds since... and are still searching for an alternative that won't hurt her.

We also have a greyhound, and they are notorious for their sensitive skin... ugh, flea meds are just a whole thing over here at my house. Sadly, we live somewhere where they NEED a preventative.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So what can you use instead to prevent fleas & ticks??

I used that stuff on Desmond before, I never knew it could be so dangerous! If he hasn't shown any sort of reaction yet, do you think I could keep using it? I dunno, I'd feel pretty bad about using it after hearing THAT... D: We don't have fleas frequently where I live, but I'm sure that the dog park has flea ridden dogs, surely Desmond could pick them up. I'm mainly worried about ticks. We get them EVERYWHERE here, and with his thick fur I may not see them for quite a while. Scary scary!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Birdie, did you use that brand (Hartz), or the prescription kind? I use Frontline on Teddy (and also used it on previous cats), and have never seen a bad reaction from it. Not saying it never happens, just that it hasn't happened to any of my animals.

I wouldn't use the over the counter stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You don't need a preventative.
Giving meds for no reason is not healthy.

You need to keep a very vigilant watch on your dogs to see if they have fleas, when you see one or two bathe them in straight dawn, and give them a capstar pill (kills all of them within 24 hours)
If you have an infestation in your house you need to bomb it, send the dogs to boarding and give them a capstar and if your yard has them too spray your yard.

I have never used a preventative, but use capstar for my own dogs and clients and have never seen or heard of a reaction.

A tiny amount of garlic in the food can be used as a preventative but garlic is toxic in large enough doses and I stay away from that as well..

I had fleas this last summer because of a rescue I did on a nast matted completely flea infested dog.

I did the capstar/bomb trick and we are flea free. That is the ONLY time I've ever had a flea problem and I bring my dogs to my salon where a ton of dogs have fleas.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
.......some areas are more prone to fleas and ticks though. During the hot months I too want to use something to KEEP THE FLEAS OFF because I have heard infestations are VERY HARD to get rid of not to mention the amount of money.......(I am horrible with bugs as it is let alone a break out on the dogs or in my house:scared:)

I will likely talk with the Vet about options, I DO NOT want to risk my dogs health amd at the same time I am not going to have fleas on them and spread through out my home if possible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Alabama, I'm in one of those hot humid states with fleas and ticks.

I don't know maybe I'm just more vigilant than others:cool:

You can try comfortis I have heard good things about it, it is similar to capstar but is also a preventative (capstar is not)
ONE person said she had heard bad stories about comfortis I haven't looked into it, but I have alot of clients that use and love it. And my friend uses it as well.

I have heard many, many, many bad things about ALL of the topical treatments. Let alone the fact that they just don't work for crap nowadays. Fleas seem to have evolved in the last year or two, or the companies changed ingredients because every client I have had that has used it has not been working, their dogs come in flea infested as if it attracts the fleas!

·
Registered
440 Posts
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/petproductseval.html

"Immediately, EPA will begin reviewing labels and determining which ones need stronger and clearer labeling statements. EPA will also develop more stringent testing and evaluation requirements for both existing and new products. EPA expects these steps will help prevent adverse reactions from pet spot-on products."

Safety tips for pet owners:
* Consult your veterinarian about the best way to to protect your pets from fleas and ticks and whether pesticides are even needed.
* Use extra care before use on weak, aged, medicated, sick, pregnant, or nursing pets, or on pets that have previously shown signs of sensitivity to pesticide products.
* If your pet experiences an adverse reaction, immediately bathe the pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water.
* Keep the package with the product container (such as individual applicator tubes). Also keep the package after treatment in case adverse effects occur. You will want to have the instructions at hand, as well as contact information for the manufacturer.

Sounds like there's a LOT to be worried about!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
With the amount of chemicals people pump into their pets and themselves, there is more than alot to worry about.

Flea collars are horrendously dangerous to both pets and humans too. I can't stress enough how rediculous topical treatments are in fact. All of those chemicals used to eradicate a living creature going on top of a separate living creature. THEN it enters the blood stream through the skin!Thats like leaving small portions of rat poisoning around for your dogs to eat because it's not going to be enough to kill them.

I want to throw up when people use topical products on dogs, and have kids that cuddle up on those animals.

Not only do people overvaccinate their animals they are coming out with more and more "yearly" vaccinations everyday...
come on canine flu?

So we have flea preventative, heartworm preventative, tons of vaccinations, and awful crap in dog food.
No wonder I see the problems I see with skin, immune, and general health problems. ugh, yes I'm bitter. Sorry for that.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
THEN it enters the blood stream through the skin
Sorry, just wanted to point out that not all flea preventatives enter the bloodstream. I know that frontline in particular does not.

I have the option to not give flea meds in the summer as we personally dont have a problem with it. I am more concerend with ticks actually. I would personally not have a problem with giving certain flea meds monthly if needed. I also do Not have a problem with giving monthly heartworm meds either! :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I only use flea medications if I see flees or flee dirt, never as a preventative. I've been using frontline plus for my dogs and advantage for my kitty. I just had to treat them this past Sunday, as I found fleas on them for the first time in 16 months. I have had no reaction to either Frontline plus, nor to Advantage. My havanese is only 12.6 lbs and my kitty is only 8 lbs and everyone is great. I believe it's the cheaper, over the counter meds that cause these severe reaction. Although, I've heard of some dogs having really bad reaction to Advantix. I've never used it, as I've been warned by my vet that it's toxic to cats and shouldn't be used if you have them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Teddy gets Frontline and Interceptor heartworm pills every month, and I have no qualms about it.
That's what Desmond gets too, we get it from our vet. Ahh okay, I feel a bit more reassured that Frontline is a bit safer to use. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
but guys- you're missing the point; NOTHING is out of the weeds yet, EVERYTHING is suspect until the EPA starts ACTUALLY testing them!

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health...ductseval.html

"Immediately, EPA will begin reviewing labels and determining which ones need stronger and clearer labeling statements. EPA will also develop more stringent testing and evaluation requirements for both existing and new products. EPA expects these steps will help prevent adverse reactions from pet spot-on products."

We've used Advantix on Ocsi for years (nearly 7) and although he's never "had a reaction" who knows if he has! Remember back in October when I said he had a seizure, its unexplained... maybe too much toxin had been building up in his body...???

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
...Although, I've heard of some dogs having really bad reaction to Advantix. I've never used it, as I've been warned by my vet that it's toxic to cats and shouldn't be used if you have them.
That's why our vet prescribed Frontline for Teddy. I don't use anything on my cat, since it's only the dog who goes outside. If he doesn't bring them in, Mickey won't get them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
frontline does not work anymore. At least in my area. You probably have just not gotten fleas. But I would not trust frontline to work if someone paid me to use it.

I see dogs come in everyday with fleas that use frontline every month.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I used advantage multi on my cat, and his hair fell out completely where it was applied! It was only a few hours after application, and I immediately threw him in the bathtub and washed him down. Poor guy! There want a single hair left anywhere the oil touched.

I have switched to Frontline just to be safe (no problems) but I later learned that the formulas for ticks are much more toxic. It's better to use regular Frontline or Advantage and spot check frequently for ticks. Any ticks you find can be killed with rubbing alcohol and then pulled off with tweezers.

I live in Texas and the flea season here is pretty hardcore. Not to mention we got a new variety of smaller, darker colored fleas last year that nothing seemed to kill! I haven't heard anything official about it, but I remember seeing those d*** fleas on a few dogs and we just couldn't kill them completely. Even straight rubbing alcohol didn't always do it (applied to the flea itself, not the whole dog!).

I have always gotten along well by washing Flash once a week, and applying Frontline only when I see fleas on him. He's also had WAY fewer fleas since I bought him a dog bed with cedar in it. But be careful if you have cats, they are sensitive to cedar and can get respiratory issues if they sleep on the bed. I bought a second dog bed for the cats to sleep on (lol, my cats are as spoiled as my dog).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts