Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get Sisko a new dog food today, and want it to be a good high quality food, but not sure what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any good ones in Petsmart?

Thank you from Sisko and I in advance!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
We feed Purina Pro Plan right now. Fluffy seems to like it, and he has much less dry skin on it. Less eye boogers, too, although we did feed him Beneful before the Pro Plan, as that was the only thing we could really find in a bag bigger than 4 pounds at the beginning of lockdown. Misty is on the senior Pro Plan formula, and she has much more energy and gets up from bed faster. I’d love to feed Farmina or Royal Canin something similar, but it’s way too expensive for us to do on a regular basis. Iams is also pretty good by my standards. Science diet is also good. I’m afraid I can’t speak to what’s actually in Petsmart, as there are mostly Petcos around here, and the one Petsmart that we have close enough to be convenient smells like cat urine all the time.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
When comparing foods, one thing I've noticed is that high quality kibbles often have a smaller serving size. And the fewer "filler" ingredients a food has, the more filling (and nutritious) that smaller serving size is going to be.

So when shopping around, be careful you're comparing "apples to apples."

(I've yet to find a brand that makes this easy. It should be mandatory that labels clearly show the number of average servings by dog weight contained within each bag.)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We feed Purina Pro Plan right now. Fluffy seems to like it, and he has much less dry skin on it. Less eye boogers, too, although we did feed him Beneful before the Pro Plan, as that was the only thing we could really find in a bag bigger than 4 pounds at the beginning of lockdown. Misty is on the senior Pro Plan formula, and she has much more energy and gets up from bed faster. I’d love to feed Farmina or Royal Canin something similar, but it’s way too expensive for us to do on a regular basis. Iams is also pretty good by my standards. Science diet is also good. I’m afraid I can’t speak to what’s actually in Petsmart, as there are mostly Petcos around here, and the one Petsmart that we have close enough to be convenient smells like cat urine all the time.
I'm thinking about Purina Pro Plan! That's awesome that Fluffy and Misty doing so well on it😎 Same here!! We just don't have the money either. Hopefully one day we will be able to afford what we really want to get for our pets. Ewwwww, that's really gross😝!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When comparing foods, one thing I've noticed is that high quality kibbles often have a smaller serving size. And the fewer "filler" ingredients a food has, the more filling (and nutritious) that smaller serving size is going to be.

So when shopping around, be careful you're comparing "apples to apples."

(I've yet to find a brand that makes this easy. It should be mandatory that labels clearly show the number of average servings by dog weight contained within each bag.)
Yep! I noticed that same thing. I had even wondered if I could make homemade dog food if I just get a bag of a high quality dog food and buy the ingredients and make it. Maybe it could save money?

Okay👍

I haven't been able to either. Yes, it should!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts