Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for a breeder (in the UK) and have sent a few emails out, though I've only had a response from two so far. I am wondering if I might be expecting too much from a breeder, all these tests must be really expensive... I'm asking about
NE, DM, vWd, PRA & NEWS, and checks for addisons, SA, cardiac, thyroid malfunctions and CERF examinations, COI and Wycliffe calcs. It seems the genetic tests are regularly covered, but all these others which need regular checks not so much... which honestly seems understandable. I can't even imagine how much all this would cost. I have such a long checklist for a breeder I really doubt there will be any that meet my ridiculous expectations. What do you guys think?

TIA :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What size poodle? A standard? Some of these may be unnecessary or outdated.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
The Kennel Club expects Assured Breeder Scheme members of standard poodles to do the BVA/KC Hip Dysplasia Scheme tests, and a recognised eye test. Testing for vWD, prcd-PRA and PRA (rcd4) "should be considered". Health Information for Poodle (Standard)

The Standard Poodle Club code of ethics states "To ensure that both sire and dam are of a suitable temperament and type; are in sound health and construction; currently have normal SA reports and seek to establish a mode of inheritance of diseases (testing wherever possible under the existing schemes) to preserve, safeguard and improve the characteristics of the breed."

I think expecting UK breeders to go very much beyond these requirements may limit your options excessively.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry yes I'm looking at standards! I forgot about hips; i'm fairly confident that everyone will have hips (i bloody hope so!) Alright on my hit or miss list i'll have hips, two PRA tests (prcd and rcd4) and vWD... what are the differences between the PRA tests? I can probably just google but in case anyone has a summary for me! With the SA tests I believeit's a piece of skin being taken every year right? Would you expect that to be consistent every year up until the litter is born or just a couple throughout the lifetime?

Apologies for the questions, i don't want to overwhelm the breeders with them!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thanks to FJM for adding the recommended screenings in the UK. If I'm reading the UK recommendations correctly, to meet the requirements for Assured Breeder, breeders must test only hips and eyes, though SA is strongly recommended. I would expect that these three tests provide a good floor when considering breeders.

The other three tests, for von Willebrand and the two retinal atrophies, are entirely up to the discretion of the breeder. For perspective, the US recommendations do not mention PRA (prcd-PRA is recommended for Toys and Minis). VWD is optional in the US as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Something that came up in a recent thread was how much to ask/include in your initial contact. Consensus seemed to be that a short but friendly intro was best. For example, if you're sending an email: One or two sentences about your basic lifestyle/suitability for a poodle/what you're looking for, one complimenting their dogs/expressing interest, and another asking about upcoming litters and how best to move forward—phone or email. Sign off with your name and phone number.

Short, sweet, clear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I think I might have seen that thread, my initial email is just a summary of the lifestyle i could offer a dog & might they consider me for a future litter. It is in my second emails when i've asked 'can you tell me about their health testing' and they've come back with 'fully health tested' which i then have to be like 'so does that include blablabla'. Which of course they don't because it's ridiculous and then the breeders think i'm an asshat! It's good to see that there are only actually a few which matter and the others are just extras! In which case I have two maybe breeders to meet 😁

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I'm glad you've been able to refine your checklist a little, but don't ever feel bad for digging further. "Fully health-tested" means very different things to different people, so a breeder should really be elaborating if they want to avoid follow-up questions.

Hope your two meetings go well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts