Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some hiking in the high desert with Violet this week, and at one point had to remove a thorny prickle from her paw. This has me thinking about boots.

I have never had a dog find boots exceptable, but I’ve never tried leather moccasins or walkie paws (dog leggings). Anyone have any suggestions? How about some of you that live in Arizona or New Mexico?

I am not especially worried about snow or rain or forest, but I am concerned with thorns and prickles. Any thoughts on leather?

Here is a photo of her in just a regular grassy field with nice gopher smells. (I missed my hiking photo ops, a sure sign I was having a good time.)

Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Raindrops Are you using the grip tex boots by ruffwear? It’s interesting that they are marketing socks to go with the boot on their website- you may not be the only one with a rubbing issue.

I’m very curious about the performance of leather dog boots. I have heard (don’t know if it’s true) that many search and rescue dogs use leather and that it helps the dog retain some “ground feel.” Perhaps they would be less likely to chafe? Seems more likely to have thorns penetrate-so there may not be a happy middle ground.

Here is one version on Etsy:Dog Summer Shoes | Etsy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.