Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some hiking in the high desert with Violet this week, and at one point had to remove a thorny prickle from her paw. This has me thinking about boots.

I have never had a dog find boots exceptable, but I’ve never tried leather moccasins or walkie paws (dog leggings). Anyone have any suggestions? How about some of you that live in Arizona or New Mexico?

I am not especially worried about snow or rain or forest, but I am concerned with thorns and prickles. Any thoughts on leather?

Here is a photo of her in just a regular grassy field with nice gopher smells. (I missed my hiking photo ops, a sure sign I was having a good time.)

5FD5495C-ECF5-409F-B6B0-835FF01E98BB.jpeg

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have used Ruffwear boots with Misha. They stay on well if you tighten them a lot. But a wearing them a lot created some small calluses on his knuckles where he lost hair. I have gotten him the socks to wear to hopefully alleviate this problem but haven't had a chance to test it. The hair has grown back though so I should.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Raindrops Are you using the grip tex boots by ruffwear? It’s interesting that they are marketing socks to go with the boot on their website- you may not be the only one with a rubbing issue.

I’m very curious about the performance of leather dog boots. I have heard (don’t know if it’s true) that many search and rescue dogs use leather and that it helps the dog retain some “ground feel.” Perhaps they would be less likely to chafe? Seems more likely to have thorns penetrate-so there may not be a happy middle ground.

Here is one version on Etsy:Dog Summer Shoes | Etsy

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We had the same problem during our short time in the southwest, and I ended up choosing trails carefully. I know leather is used by hunters to cover their dogs' undercarriage (my preferred term) from puncture wounds, but I didn't know they had expanded into boots.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yep I use the griptrex ones. Those leather ones look cool. For me living in SoFlo I need something that will hold up better in wet conditions but leather might be fine for dry areas. The rubbing is a common issue, so I think the socks are recommended for best results in all dogs.

Violet's a pretty girl. If you ever shave her down please get a stacked photo!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did some hiking in the high desert with Violet this week, and at one point had to remove a thorny prickle from her paw. This has me thinking about boots.

I have never had a dog find boots exceptable, but I’ve never tried leather moccasins or walkie paws (dog leggings). Anyone have any suggestions? How about some of you that live in Arizona or New Mexico?

I am not especially worried about snow or rain or forest, but I am concerned with thorns and prickles. Any thoughts on leather?

Here is a photo of her in just a regular grassy field with nice gopher smells. (I missed my hiking photo ops, a sure sign I was having a good time.)

View attachment 470109

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thank you for the beautiful photo. We did camp in New Mexico and Arizona, and those Goats Head Burrs are terrible. Poor Charlie had bloody feet within minutes. It was hard to find good boots for big feet . He is amazing about keeping them on. Wore out two pairs in no time at all. I recently found the RuffWear boots in a store, but the very thing that made the sole so great means that the heel parts are terribly stiff. Charlie tried them on in the store and had trouble walking, and he is used to boots and does not mind them much.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have used Ruffwear boots with Misha. They stay on well if you tighten them a lot. But a wearing them a lot created some small calluses on his knuckles where he lost hair. I have gotten him the socks to wear to hopefully alleviate this problem but haven't had a chance to test it. The hair has grown back though so I should.
Socks too! makes sense, that is what turned me off of the RuffWear.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Goat heads are terrible stickers - very painful. I have managed to eliminate them from our property although I continue to have to look for any that have come in on vehicle tires or carried by either the wild horses or other wildlife.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We love the Muttluks brand of boots. We used them all winter last year. They make boots for all seasons and for different terrains.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the feedback.

@Spottytoes I'll take a look at the Muttluks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts