Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about 16 year old Flower, it's been a week and half since her mini stroke.

Here's the scoop as it were

Flower has high blood pressure so she started Enalapril and Her blood pressure was rechecked on Saturday, although it's lower it still too high she now to start taking Amliodipine .5mg daily as well

I have been doing a lot of reading on High Blood Pressure and its causes, with a dog her age, there is almost always underlying disease, in Flower's case its her kidneys, so new diet and SubQ fluids twice a week (which she is the best for)

I was so hoping that the one med would help her

Has anyone else dealt with high blood pressure?

Symptoms and Types

The following are just some of the more common symptoms displayed by dogs with high blood pressure:

Seizures
Circling
Disorientation
Blindness
Dilated pupils
Retinal detachment
Hemorrhage of the eye
Blood in the urine
Protein in the urine
Bleeding from the nose
Swollen or shrunken kidneys
Heart murmurs
Weakness, either on one side of the body or in the legs
Involuntary oscillation (rolling) of the eyeballs
Palpable thyroid gland (when hyperthyroid)

Flower only had two of the symptoms Circling and Disorientation

Because of her age I am not sure if I am doing the right thing but there is some improvement since the start of the new regime.

Beyond return to Flower's norm

Flower hears better than I thought did , I thought she was pretty much deaf now I can call her and get her attetion right away.

Also Flower is no longer confused/addled at all I thought she was suffering from brief bouts of dementia at times, she would stare off into space.

I am not sure what to expect or even hope for

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I have no knowledge of doggy blood pressure but I wanted to say I am sorry Flower is having problems with her BP. Hopefully her new regime will help her.

It's so hard when our furry friends get old and have medical problems.

You've been so good and attentive to her. She is a lucky girl. Hugs to you and Flower !

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
No experience with high b/p in dogs. I am glad dear Flower, seems better on her new regimen. Your poodle girls are so lucky to have you. Hugs from Houston to all of them!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
It looks like the BP medication is helping her which is good.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I hope Flower's new meds help her! You are such a good caretaker..........your babies are lucky to have you!

Reactions: twyla
1 - 5 of 5 Posts