Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make it clear from the beginning that I am NOT arguing this has been the case for poodles. But I've been thinking about it from a broader perspective since I read that Merle in Cocker Spaniels is
controversial and can be traced back to one dog starting in the 1980's. And I am wondering how we can even know which breeds legitimately carry it if it can be hidden by other colors and patterns like this article discusses(apparently it's a controversial color in bulldogs too!) http://www.rarebulldogs.com/the-merle-controversy.htm .

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That web site is certainly an excellent discussion of merle. I suspect that any merle poodles who exist today have an outcross to another breed. It is a shame that anyone would think it a good idea to introduce the merle gene since it can result in serious health problems.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
That web site is certainly an excellent discussion of merle. I suspect that any merle poodles who exist today have an outcross to another breed. It is a shame that anyone would think it a good idea to introduce the merle gene since it can result in serious health problems.

I couldn't agree more. And any poodle with merle is not really a poodle through and through.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the interesting links! I had not considered that the eyes show despite the body coloring being hidden.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't think many folks do. That is one reason the UKC says Disqualifications: Blue eyes, or any variation of, including flecks and marbling.

While not every dog with 2 merle genes will display eye deformities, or blue eyes enough will that it would become apparent very quickly that something was wrong with the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts