Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im Kaos, i have 2 standard poodles, Bonita, 4 1/2 years old, Blue, and Consuela, 3 1/2 years old, Black.

We have recently decided we would like a litter of pretty poodles (no doodles here!) and i was wondering if anyone could help, The one we'd breed would be Connie, She is about 18" to the withers and we would either like a similar sized pedigree boy or a top kennel(Preferably not from VANATONIA as thats where shes from :) ) We would kc reg them so he'd have to be kc'd! I dont want to say where i live for the whole forum to read but ill say the furthest we'd like the stud to be is Edinburgh/Glasgow And we would not travel with her and leave her with you as i dont find that a good solution, Especially as she cant even go to a friends when we go on holiday for a weekend :( So If you'd(or someone you know) come here, You could leave the stud or stay in a hotel with him

If you need any more information feel free to post here or or pm me and ill try to answer what i can :)

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome.

The very first place to start would be with your breeder. The folks at the Vanitonia probably have a good idea about which stud would compliment your bitch. Also, they can give you important information about your girl's pedigree including a head's up (as we say in the States) about any potential health issues. This is very important to know before you go and breed.

In AKC, we have Full Registration and Limited Registration. Only Poodles with Full Registration can have their offspring registered with the American Kennel Club. You should check to see if this is true in the UK.

The next step is testing. It is important to test Standard Poodle breeding dogs for the following:

Hips
Eyes
Thyroid
Von Willebrand
Sebaceous Adenitis
Neonatal Encephalopothy

This testing takes time and it is important to do the hips when your bitch is not in season. It is also important to understand the meaning of test results. For example a VWB carrier can be bred to a clear and not produce affected puppies.

The stud never travels to the bitch because some boys have... um.... performance issues. The bitch always travels to the dog. Staying in a hotel wouldn't be a bad idea especially if you use progesterone testing to pinpoint the actual day of ovulation.

Finally, while we have members from Canada, the UK, Iceland (big shout out to Winnow!) and down under, we are primarily a US board. We can't be of much help when it comes to choosing studs across the Atlantic. I think your best bet is to attend various dog shows in your area and see if you can get local breeders to help you.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Ditto what CBrand has said. Raising puppies (particularly healthy ones) is not an easy thing to do and is not for the feint of heart. I hope you will talk to your breeder about all that this entails. I am fortunate to run our renovation business out of our home, so am here with the pups 24/7. If you both work full time, having puppies might not be the best idea. But, I wish you luck and hope if you do it, you have happy, healthy babies.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
...Welcome:)----Just in case you find what you're looking for here, maybe some more information would help besides your specific wants for Connie being bred.

What a great opportunity to ask:

Why do you want to breed?
What are your long term goals?
Why are your resources so limited?

Good luck in your future endeavors:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts