Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. I have 3 month old f1b bernedoodle (75% poodle, 25% bernese mountain dog). His name is Jasper. He is having a few issues which has stumped the vet on his first visit. His hair is thinning on the top of his paws, and the front of his front legs and the back of his back legs and has areas that are sparse all over. He also has an odd smell in his ears which the vet said could be the start of a yeast infection and treated it with a wash, and ointment. She thinks he is a little scrawny (bony) as well. He is playful, eats and drinks fine, has normal, solid poops and only scratches from time to time. Any thoughts? I'll try to attach some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome! What an adorable baby pup. Those legs definitely look like something is up. Mange comes to mind. Do you have a canine dermatologist near you?

ETA: Ear infections are very common in spoo puppies. Make sure to have an ear wash routine going forward. I use Epi-Otic every time I bathe mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
I would suspect systemic yeast overgrowth. One sign of this is hair loss.

Do you have access to a holistic vet? They could help you get the yeast under control (after ruling out other issues, of course) and then start him on an anti-yeast diet, including canine probiotics.

One of my biggest pet peeves with vets is how quick they often are to spot-treat symptoms without digging into and addressing underlying causes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome to you and your gorgeous puppy!! I truly hope you find a solution to this. What the other members said above is somethings I would agree with looking into!

Maybe also look into a different vet?? All vets are different and another vet may think of something new the other didn't! I would give another vet a go!

Good luck to you both, please update up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts