Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poodles are my favorite breed. My last dog was a black miniature poodle named Morgan and he was amazing and wonderful, as poodles are.

I'm not ready for another dog yet, but I'm now able to even think about the possibility. I don't know for sure, as it would have to be a joint decision in my family, but I would really love to have a standard poodle.

I'm here to look at people's poodle pictures and read everyone's favorite poodle products and grooming techniques and so on!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry for your loss of Morgan.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of great poodles of all sizes here. A fun thread to look at is the 52 week one, its shows a lot of pups growing up. I have a standard who is now 20 months . I've been slow on his training, b ut he is a great dog. I don't groom myself, at least not yet. I presently have a wonderful groom who he sees every 4 weeks. I do brush and comb him out in between and sometimes I have to pull some hit from his ear as he grows it quite quickly.I keep white on white on hand and I use his ice on ice when I brush n comb. I use a slicker, a pin brush and a comb on him. I also have a dremel for his nails that I sometimes trim in-between grooms. I have a large sized "flying Pig" grooming table. I also have an old A5 poster clipper that I've had for years in the event I need to trim anything. I really love the standards. Probably because of my age and my bad legs I would have been better maybe with a smaller size but I would do it all over and wouldn't trade him for anything.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Welcome to PF. Poodles are such awesome dogs that I certainly do understand that for some of us it can take a while to get over the loss of one.

I have two standards and love their size, large and sturdy but not gigantic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the welcome and the information. I have been checking out the 52 weeks threads, so much fun!

Morgan was one of those amazing dogs that won over everyone he encountered. My SO said he was the dog that made him want dogs.

Morgan was the first little dog I've ever had! All my other dogs have been medium to large dogs. I think standards are the perfect size dog for me. My SO wants a dog that would be able to go running with him, and also I think some dog sports or activities would be really fun to try. I am disabled so I'm not sure what ones I would be able to do, but poodles are so versatile I'm sure there would be one we could both do. Other breeds I have owned or worked with were herding breeds and working breeds but poodles have always been my favorite and dream dog.

I think it would be next year before I am ready to actually get another dog, but in the meantime I will be looking at everyone's dogs and living vicariously through them, and maybe I'll get involved with the poodle club here.

Do you know if poodle clubs are fairly open to non-standard poodle colors and natural tails, or are poodle clubs mostly show-oriented and that's something that's looked down? Morgan was docked but I would love a natural tail on my next poodle.

I am in the Portland Metro Area, and hope that I can find poodle activities a non-poodle owner can sit in on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The standard is my favorite, but they are not the best fit for my family. Both of my sons are disabled and although they are very tall teenagers now, I don't feel safe when most standard poodles are playing near them. People may disagree but in my experience, no matter how much training, poodles like to play hard, fast and more upright than some breeds. We have a large Bernese Mountain Dog that plays completely different with other Bernese and I never worry about them accidentally running into my boys. I don't mean to sound slightly discouraging, I only suggest that if your disability affects your mobility/balance in any way, that you hang out near many different off leash Standards to make sure you are comfortable with the size. A mini bumping into you can be easily ignored but not a standard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The standard is my favorite, but they are not the best fit for my family. Both of my sons are disabled and although they are very tall teenagers now, I don't feel safe when most standard poodles are playing near them. People may disagree but in my experience, no matter how much training, poodles like to play hard, fast and more upright than some breeds. We have a large Bernese Mountain Dog that plays completely different with other Bernese and I never worry about them accidentally running into my boys. I don't mean to sound slightly discouraging, I only suggest that if your disability affects your mobility/balance in any way, that you hang out near many different off leash Standards to make sure you are comfortable with the size. A mini bumping into you can be easily ignored but not a standard.
Thank you for your concern! As I mentioned, Morgan was my first small dog and all my other dogs have been very high drive herding and working breeds that were medium or large.

I don't anticipate it being a problem but I will definitely get some experience with standard poodles before I get one, hopefully through the local poodle clubs. I don't want to go towards adding a new family member lightly, and it has to be a good fit for everyone in the household.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Welcome Tser - my boy Asta is a standard about 50 lbs. Only once have I really come close to him knocking me off my feet and that was when he was about 2 yrs.old. Nowadays he has mellowed into a wonderful dog that helps me so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts