Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Gina, I currently have one standard poodle, named Dobby. He is about 18 months old.

We also have a miniature schnauzer mix, name Emma, who is 15, and is NOT a fan of having a new, big dog in her life.

I am currently a stay at home mom, with one toddler. Previously, I was director of operations at a non-profit animal shelter in Texas.

Dobby is our first standard poodle. We previously had a miniature poodle mix I adopted in college, and lived to be 17 years old.

Since we now have a kiddo, we decided to get a larger, standard poodle, and it has, and has not been what we expected, but we love him regardless!

Gina

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Hi and welcome. We'd love to see photos of your pups.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Standard poodles tend to be clowns and can be serious about their clownishness until they approach 3 years old, but they are the most amazing dogs, even when silly.

Welcome to PF.

Reactions: Jpunelli

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Wonderful photos - both puppies are so cute. Your poodle is living a real poodly life in the water - Dobby is a lucky dog.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Welcome from Houston! I agree it’s best to take the view that Dobby will be a great dog at three. Give yourself a pat on the back if he’s poodle perfect at two. I don’t blame Miss Emma for being annoyed with the limitless exuberance of thunder paws. It’s challenging for humans!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Hi, Gina, Dobby, and Emma! What a cute family you have :)

It is so true, spoos really do mature at 3. My girl is absolutely perfect now, but she was hell on wheels as a puppy. My boy is 2 and currently hell on wheels but at least I know in a year he'll be golden :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is so encouraging to hear about hitting 3!

OMG it's been kind of a crazy ride! I just kept telling myself, he's a puppy, and we just hadn't had one in over a decade. All of our previous dogs were seniors, and passed away over the previous three years of various old age and cancer issues. I think we just forget how much work they are as puppies, so we are crazy enough to do it again!

He has the core things I wanted. He's not a guarder, he is submissive though a pest to our senior Schnauzer. Likes our toddler, and is mostly good with him aside from his crazy mouthiness which we have been working on for past year. He is awesome in his crate, even when I'm home, has pretty great recall, and stays on the property while we are at the lake. So, I just kept telling myself, the maturity will come! It's just a maturity issue.

I've seen some calm creeping in the this past summer, and his breeder kept telling me "he will hit 2 and it will be better, and get better from there. Just hang in there and keep training and socializing him!"

We do love him, and he is a silly goof when I don't want to kill him for pestering poor Emma. We have lots of baby gates so she can have her old lady naps undisturbed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm Jo. My husband and I live in the PNW on about an acre with our three poodles: 10 yr old blue standard (Tudorose Poodle), 11 yr old red 5 lb shelter toy (no papers), and 10 yr old also 5 lb apricot shelter toy (with papers).

Looking forward to learning from all of you. I'm new to forums as this is a first for me so will appreciate your patience and understanding as I am not yet experienced with most computer operations.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
LOL I laugh now when I hear thing like this, overly energy poodle. I have had many a dog in my lifetime and now my 1st St. poodle. Mine is only 9 months right now. So you know where we are at. When I walk him he is great now on loose leash, people say wow what a well behaved dog you have. LOL little do they know. I am so pleased with him though and I think by the time he is 3 he will be awesome. More awesome. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts