Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Melissa. I just recently got my first Poodle :) (March 7th) She will be 9 weeks on Sunday. She is apricot, and a whopping 2 and 1/4 lbs lol I named her Kira. and I heard Poodles were smart, but I didnt realise they were THIS smart. We havent even had her for a week yet, and she is allready litter box trained and starting to understand sit. I have a few questions. 1st, so all poodles use there paws all the time......for everything? lol 2nd, Whats a good eye stain remover? I have heard angel eyes is good. Any thoughts? Im a little nervouse about doing the ear hair plucking........Help lol
Well I just wanted to join to ask questions when I have them, and talk about the love of my life lol She is my first Poodle, but hopefully not my last. I look forward to meeting all of you and your furbabies :)
P.S How well do your tiny ones do with snow? We tend to get alot of it up here lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have another question.......Are all Poodles this stuborn to train to come? Kira just gives me this LOOK. She is so darn exspresive. She will look at me like, come?......Why? Whats in it for me? And she is such a little Diva....Always prancing lol Whats a good way to teach her come? I've never had such a tiny pup before

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, Poodles are notorious for using their paws like hands.

The tear staining beneath the eyes is mostly a genetic thing. I'm sorry to say that if your Toy Poodle's eyes are running and staining now, they probably always will be. Some Poodles do grow out of the tearing as they get older, but these are mostly Standard Poodles. In some Poodles, the tearing is related to teething or allergies, but with many of the Toys it has to do with the size and placement of tear ducts and the round shape of the eye. You can take your girl to an Ophthalmologist to have her ducts evaluated. Sometimes they can be surgically enlarged.

Back to products for staining... you can try products like Angel Eyes. These products contains a low level antibiotic called Tylan. It is effecting in blocking the production of red yeast which grows in the wet areas around the eyes. You can't stop the wet but you can get on top of the staining. Ultimately though, you will need to consider the long term health impact of being on low level antibiotics for extended periods.

Snow.... I don't know toys very well so I can't guess what her final weight will be. Do you know how big her parents were? The tiny Toys have a larger surface area in relation to their internal organs. They simply get colder faster. Plus, a small dog is wading chest deep in even ankle deep snow. We have a geriatric Poodle mix who is maybe 6-7lbs. I shovel a potty path for him in the winter so that he does not have to wade through the snow. He doesn't like it when his "man parts" drag in the snow. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I also have another question.......Are all Poodles this stuborn to train to come? Kira just gives me this LOOK. She is so darn exspresive. She will look at me like, come?......Why? Whats in it for me? And she is such a little Diva....Always prancing lol Whats a good way to teach her come? I've never had such a tiny pup before

A common training question; we really should sticky this. Search the training section for more ideas. Start here:

http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=5639

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah i have 2 poodles, one 6 and one 2....

my advice.... time and persistance.... it doesn't happen in a month, usually a year of training will make it happen. there are alot of "tricks" people say they use for training to make it faster, but these are usually... well.... not lol. just keep it going and your poodle will learn.

i don't do own ear hair... i got a groomer, but if thats out of your price range, you can also call up and ask any groomer how they do it, its not hard from what i hear, but they get regular goomings (very very important for poodles). just try to brush hair at least once a day, its not just a hygiene thing but also a bonding experience that helps you establish not just a touching and friendly relationship but also a dominant one. If your poodle does not see you as the alpha of the pack, you'll have a harder time training. Don't be afraid to "man-handle" during brushing, its part of pack mantality and they won't remember it as a bad experience.

Being Alpha of the pack is key.... then you just keep reinforcing good traits and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh yeah i forgot snow.... train for a jacket at least, toys do get cold, but will usually let ya know when their done playing in the snow (either come to the door or will actually try and get your attention), like cbrand says, shovel a lil path usually works good but we don't get much snow here in western washington, so what do i know lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
She sounds like my little girl, Reece. She is 4 lbs and 4 years old. I can't say about the coming, because I've only had her a year. All my poos are velcro dogs. Reece is such a diva!!!

I have a client that uses the Angels Eyes. It works, but she has had to gradually increase the frequency to keep up the results. I don't know if that is such a good idea. Someone else told me that a teaspoon of plain yogurt a day will help with the staining. I haven't tried it so I can't say how well it works.

Good luck. Post some pics of your baby.:)

Oh I forgot. Reece hates the snow. She sits and looks at us like we are crazy. Then she prisses in and uses her potty pad and snuggles up in her bed while we have fun.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
:welcome: I am still pretty new here. There is a wealth of information here for you and your poodle.

We have many clients (I'm a groomer) that use the Angel Eyes. All have had great success. That being said, I wouldn't want my dog on any dose of antibiotics long term, even if the dose was very low.
If you like the clean poodle face(whole muzzle clipped close), you can learn to maintain it yourself and keeping it short will really help with the stains.
I looking forward to hearing about your poodle :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG is she such a Diva. She refuses to get her feet wet lol :rolffleyes: And she prances lol Its so darn cute though lol And even though most of our snow is gone, she did have fun in the little patch she found when we went out to the woods lol I think she is more my sons dog than my own lol Her and him have just bonded. He is 6, going on 7. And she just adores him. I got her a pink sweatshirt, and she wears it just fine lol she is allready potty trained, and Im trying to get her to learn to wave lol I am so in love with this little diva girl lol Im thinking of maybe getting into agility with her since she is so hyper. I bought a clicker, but not to sure how to use it (Train with it) any good websites with easy to understand instructions? I'll see if my sis can post pics at her bf's. Im just on a public pc.
Thanks for all the help guys :) Im glad I found this place

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Im looking around her site right now :)
I am happy to report that Kira went into the kitchen on her own today lol She usually dosent. there have been a few times when her and my son were playing that she chased him into the kitchen, but just by a few inches, and as soon as she realised where she was, she ran right back out again. I have a question. When the vet removed the litters dew claws, they missed her back ones, and I was wondering if this will pose a problem with grooming? Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we had a lapse in house breaking lol She started going poo by the door instead of the litter box lol Silly girl. Sadly she has being haveing to go through the indignities of being dressed up lol I have never had a little dog that would wear dresses and bows and everything. I had a male Yorkie named Oliver years ago, but he refused to be put through anything that silly lol Kira will give me this look, like "really mom?" and kinda roll her eyes lol I've never known a dog to have so much personality lol I know now why so many people breed Poodles lol Its not cause there popularity lol its cause there so much fun lol (Dont worry, Kira will be spayed) She also LOVES the snow and being a wild Poodle in the great outdoors lol I am haveing trouble on recall, She still acts a little leery of me, my sis, and my mom. However takes everything that my son dishes out and wants more lol (Running through the woods, the house lol ) Any ideas?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi and welcome!

My Toy (cream) had eye staining as a puppy but grew out of it. His eyes can get gunky, of course, but staining is minimal.

Nat weighs in at 7 pounds, he's 15 years old. Except for a brief 1.5 year escape, we've lived in cold / snowy states since getting him 15 years ago. He does fine in the cold and snow. I tried to dress him for the weather initially but got tired of him peeing on the sweaters. (It used to be hard to find sweaters for Toys that didn't go back to far underneath) He's done fine all these years without outerwear and it never discouraged him from going out to do his business. This year, however, he's a bit more achy than normal so I did give in and get a jacket again. Not sure it made a difference but he tolerated it LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats cute lol
Me and my sis shaved her face a little shorter today......well half, were giveing her a break right now. She looks like a Poodle now instead of a little ragamuffin lol Does anybody know of treats that are small enough for toys to eat in two bites? Just for training? Im going to try to post this question in the training part, but last time I tried it wouldnt let me :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts