Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI my name is Rue. This week I picked up a one year old toy poodle pup called Twix. He is really good temperment but he is having seperation issues, whinning and howling if I go out. If anyone has any tips on how I can stop this please help. He has also just started barking at people, again any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I can't believe what a difference he has made to our household in just a few short days.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Do you crate him when you go out. my Teddy has separation issues but is fine in his crate - until he hears me coming of course - then he starts barking like a madman! welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
How long can you leave them in a crate for?
Welcome.

A little more info might help:)

Well he's a year old so that depends on his history if he had been in the crate prior too you.

Many dogs stay in crates when the owners are gone, could be 1 hour to 8 hours. If he is having SA then I am not sure that doing it for long periods yet is affective.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I don't know if he was crated before we got him. I did spend the morning looking round our local pet shops for something suitable, but found nothing. I have been going out and standing outside the door for a few minutes, several times a day then coming back in. Hopefully this might help him to settle. He does in general seem to be settling well, so i am hoping these issues will gradually disappear.

thanks
rue

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sometimes it's the type of crate. Some dogs like the openness of a wire crate and some like a darker more enclosed den. I have a wire crate for fosters that I can cover if they are more comfortable in a more enclosed environment.

One foster came to me that would go nuts in an enclosed crate but was just fine when it was open all around. The foster I have now prefers it covered with a sheet.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Welcome! I've heard that being nonchalant about leaving coming home help w/ separation anxiety. Don't make a big deal out of leaving or wait a while after returning to give attention. As far as crates go, I think you'd be happier getting a foldable wire crate. You can always buy or make a cover for it. I have a plastic crate for my Rottie and it's a PITA. Even collapsed, it takes up tons of room and it's harder to clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts