Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 16 week old, cream-ish, miniature poodle. His name is Ollie. He's my first poodle, first dog, and this is my first post to ANY forum! Anyway, he's doing great, but I am wondering when poodles start to lose their puppy coat and get their adult coat? I started noticing that his hair between his shoulder blades was starting to "part" instead of being all fluffy and it seems like it's getting thinner and the area is getting larger. There is still hair there, but it is much shorter and kinda wavier. (this is also where I applied K-9 Advantix, could it be something to do with that?) Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dogs took a long time to get their true coat. Probably a year and a half. Molly is 2 and still seems like a puppy with some of her fur. Welcome to the forum! Keep writing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi to you and ollie I have a 14 week old toy and she is still in fluff the groomer said she will not clip her coat till she is 6 months or older only her feet face and bottome are clipped. but we do the brushing and have the clipper turned on at least weekly to desensitise her so far it is not working she hates it near her face......... good luck but like other threads have said it can take a long time to get a true coat. my lily started as chocolate and will be a silver beige with a white patch on her chest, cute!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Hi to you and ollie I have a 14 week old toy and she is still in fluff the groomer said she will not clip her coat till she is 6 months or older only her feet face and bottome are clipped. but we do the brushing and have the clipper turned on at least weekly to desensitise her so far it is not working she hates it near her face......... good luck but like other threads have said it can take a long time to get a true coat. my lily started as chocolate and will be a silver beige with a white patch on her chest, cute!!
She wont clip her until 6 months :eek:

I've never heard that and in my opinion may make her not want to get it cut or at least be afraid / not willing.

Ask around other groomers, I know I was cutting Moose ~ 3 months and prior the breeder was clipping his face, feet and belly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts