Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just joined after looking for some show grooming information. Never can get enough tips and advice on grooming. I'm currently owned by 2 standards. 1 black male Harry and 1 cream female Ginger. I'm shopping right now for a third poodle. I'm looking for either a miniature of standard but my husband and I keep leaning towards the standards.

Well, I look forward to the advice and tips I can get from here and breeder referrals are always welcome.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay pictures it is.

This is our rescue from a "breeder sell out" girl Ginger.
She's still putting on weight from being too thin.

This is our boy Harry. We raised him from a puppy and he's quite the love and all boy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
:vroam: WOW, you're QUICK! :)
They are both gorgeous!! They smile perfectly for the camera!! Brilliant! Congrats on the rescue! and welcome to the forum! Everyone is so nice here, you'll learn lots! :clover:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:vroam: WOW, you're QUICK! :)
They are both gorgeous!! They smile perfectly for the camera!! Brilliant! Congrats on the rescue! and welcome to the forum! Everyone is so nice here, you'll learn lots! :clover:
Well, we had those pictures and it's as easy as copy and pasting the codes.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
KPoos, Welcome to this forum, you will have a lot of fun here. A lot of very knowledgable people here with a lot of advice and great tips. We have a black female spoo named Marlee, a cream male spoo named Rocky. (see pix in avitar). We also have 2 female toy poos. (mother and daughter), one white and one light cream. We have M.P.S. (multiple poodle syndrome), as do so many others. Thanks for rescuing your girl Ginger. Bet Harry was happy to get a new sister to play with.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KPoos, Welcome to this forum, you will have a lot of fun here. A lot of very knowledgable people here with a lot of advice and great tips. We have a black female spoo named Marlee, a cream male spoo named Rocky. (see pix in avitar). We also have 2 female toy poos. (mother and daughter), one white and one light cream. We have M.P.S. (multiple poodle syndrome), as do so many others. Thanks for rescuing your girl Ginger. Bet Harry was happy to get a new sister to play with.
Honestly it's not a very good match temperament wise. Ginger is an extremely laid back alpha girl whereas Harry is a protective mid-dominate level boy. They are both fixed but their personalities do not match. Because Ginger is a rescue and little is known about her previous owner except that they bred her and obviously didn't feed her right because her weight showed that and their excuse was that she was "picky". She was also a kennel dog and at 2 had already had 2 litters of puppies. I'm actually more fostering her because she needs a different environment than what we have here. I don't regret getting her away from that life and paying to have her all fixed up one bit. I'd do it again if I saw another dog in need like that. Sometimes personalities just don't mesh all that well and that's okay. I'm being extremely cautious about finding her the right home and as long as she's here she's treated with love and respect. On top of that she's gaining weight and those hips are starting to be covered with muscle and she's living the life in an air conditioned house instead of a rock bed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am a bit confused.
All your posts up until the last one indicated that Ginger was a permanent part of your family.
But you are just fostering her,correct?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is she not a part of my family if she lives with me and is in our daily lives in and out? I bought her after I saw an ad someone had for a "breeder sell out" and knew that she just needed me. Her eyes just spoke to me so I went for it. I didn't know a thing about her other than she was house broken and used as a breeder. I didn't know she was in heat when we picked her up. I didn't know that her teeth were in horrible condition and had to be scraped by our vet. I also didn't know that she was an alpha female and wouldn't be compatible with my male and my family with kids. What was I supposed to do? Leave her in that situation so that some loser with $150 would come along and throw her in the backyard and breed her some more? I took her into my home not knowing how it would eventually work out and realized after she was here that she's not the right fit. That doesn't mean I'm in any rush to find her a home. It just means she needs a more low key home and one with 3 small kids and a dog with high energy isn't it. I'm working with Harry's breeder to find her the home she needs. I don't see a problem with that do you?

·
Registered
843 Posts
How is she not a part of my family if she lives with me and is in our daily lives in and out? I bought her after I saw an ad someone had for a "breeder sell out" and knew that she just needed me. Her eyes just spoke to me so I went for it. I didn't know a thing about her other than she was house broken and used as a breeder. I didn't know she was in heat when we picked her up. I didn't know that her teeth were in horrible condition and had to be scraped by our vet. I also didn't know that she was an alpha female and wouldn't be compatible with my male and my family with kids. What was I supposed to do? Leave her in that situation so that some loser with $150 would come along and throw her in the backyard and breed her some more? I took her into my home not knowing how it would eventually work out and realized after she was here that she's not the right fit. That doesn't mean I'm in any rush to find her a home. It just means she needs a more low key home and one with 3 small kids and a dog with high energy isn't it. I'm working with Harry's breeder to find her the home she needs. I don't see a problem with that do you?
I said I was confused,not that I have a problem with anything you do.
These are your words that I totally misunderstood:
..I'm currently owned by 2 standards...
..I'm shopping right now for a third poodle...
I guess,it would be clearer to me me if your introduction stated that you own a black spoo boy and are currently fostering a white spoo girl.
Anyways,not a big deal.
What you did for Ginger is admirable and that is what counts,not how I percieve your statements.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I said I was confused,not that I have a problem with anything you do.
These are your words that I totally misunderstood:
..I'm currently owned by 2 standards...
..I'm shopping right now for a third poodle...
I guess,it would be clearer to me me if your introduction stated that you own a black spoo boy and are currently fostering a white spoo girl.
Anyways,not a big deal.
What you did for Ginger is admirable and that is what counts,not how I percieve your statements.
Well, when I say she owns me, she does. For now I'm hers and until she is with someone else, she's mine. I am not a "rescue" operation so I don't want to claim that I'm fostering a dog when technically I'm not. I just wanted to be clear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, when I say she owns me, she does. For now I'm hers and until she is with someone else, she's mine. I am not a "rescue" operation so I don't want to claim that I'm fostering a dog when technically I'm not. I just wanted to be clear.

I think Spoofan perceived your original statements as you owning 2 spoos permanently and are looking for a third addition. Then in a later post you said you were sort of fostering Ginger because she isn't the right fit for you and your family, which is perfectly fine because there is nothing wrong with rehoming a dog to a family that will work best with them. Spoofan was just trying to clarify the situation, and there is nothing wrong with that. Fostering doesn't mean you have to be a rescue operation, it just means you are trying to find a great compatible forever home.

I find it very amiable of you to take Ginger out of that horrible situation and kept her from a possible life of continued breedings although she was in a malnourished state. I'm sure she is so thankful for what you have done for her.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Spoofan perceived your original statements as you owning 2 spoos permanently and are looking for a third addition. Then in a later post you said you were sort of fostering Ginger because she isn't the right fit for you and your family, which is perfectly fine because there is nothing wrong with rehoming a dog to a family that will work best with them. Spoofan was just trying to clarify the situation, and there is nothing wrong with that. Fostering doesn't mean you have to be a rescue operation, it just means you are trying to find a great compatible forever home.

I find it very amiable of you to take Ginger out of that horrible situation and kept her from a possible life of continued breedings although she was in a malnourished state. I'm sure she is so thankful for what you have done for her.
When I got her she wouldn't even take treats from my hand. She's now looking forward to their "treat time" and she eats them just fine. She's afraid of water. Can you imagine a standard poodle afraid of water? I feel so bad for her. We have a little pool in the backyard for Harry because he's a water fanatic and Ginger will have nothing to do with it. Anytime we get the hose out to fill up their water bowls or fill up the pool she runs off. I always wonder what was done to her to make her afraid of water? I understand her being afraid of the vacuum cleaner and the broom. These are things that she hasn't really seen before since she was a kennel dog but water and the water hose just baffle me.

You know I have such guilt even thinking about finding her another home but then I get requests from possible homes and think how wonderful a fit she would be for this couple or that household because they are laid back with either no kids or very submissive female dogs. I think she does okay here but I think she can do better in the environment that matches her temperament.

Before, because I'm not a "rescue" I didn't want to claim that as what I'm doing and use the word "foster" because I don't know how people view people throwing that word around. I knew pretty early on that it wasn't a fit with my dog but I didn't want to let her go until she was in better health and understood life with a family. She's doing great now so now she's ready to move onto the next step in her life. I'm interviewing this older couple today that want to meet her. They have older grown children and just lost a rodesian ridgeback after 12 years. I am going to get their vet references and see how Ginger reacts to them but a household like that, she would thrive in. I wonder if it's okay to ask them to continue to feed her the quality food that I've been giving her? It's really done wonders for her skin and coat and she's looking great.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Poor Ginger.
Who knows what she went through before.
I think that the fear of water isn't that odd.
Most spoos love it,but certainly not all.
As I said before,it is great that you took this girl out of a bad situation.
An older couple,quiet household,where someone dotes on her 24/7 might be just what this girl needs.
Keep us posted as to how it goes.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poor Ginger.
Who knows what she went through before.
I think that the fear of water isn't that odd.
Most spoos love it,but certainly not all.
As I said before,it is great that you took this girl out of a bad situation.
An older couple,quiet household,where someone dotes on her 24/7 might be just what this girl needs.
Keep us posted as to how it goes.
They asked to see a picture of her and then didn't want her because they want a black. I said okaaaay, probably wasn't her "home" anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts