Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Well suddenly, I find myself with a poodle. I'm a 56 yr old guy and I havent had a dog since I was a kid. A good friend was taking him to the pound cause he couldn't get along with her other dogs. I told her to bring him to my house. There are so many questions about dog ownership in general. And is there anything in particular I need to know about poodles? This is a toy poodle...cute little guy who loves to play...3 yrs old, pretty hyper. He seems to be spring loaded...jumps straight up pretty high. Pretty funny to watch. Is this a common poodle trait? Well, I'll check in later. So much to know about, like shots, baths, food etc.....Oh, his name is spongee. He is my spongebud. So that is what Im calling myself here.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hello everyone. Well suddenly, I find myself with a poodle. I'm a 56 yr old guy and I havent had a dog since I was a kid. A good friend was taking him to the pound cause he couldn't get along with her other dogs. I told her to bring him to my house. There are so many questions about dog ownership in general. And is there anything in particular I need to know about poodles? This is a toy poodle...cute little guy who loves to play...3 yrs old, pretty hyper. He seems to be spring loaded...jumps straight up pretty high. Pretty funny to watch. Is this a common poodle trait? Well, I'll check in later. So much to know about, like shots, baths, food etc.....Oh, his name is spongee. He is my spongebud. So that is what Im calling myself here.
So congratulations ! And you have something to be thankful for there as well !
You have a new friend. Ask the friend that you got Spongee from when he had his last shots and go from there ..Take him to petco and let him pick out some toys :) And a bed of course....Poodles need to groomed at least every 6 weeks..Someone can either refer you to a good groomer or you can find one in your area..
Congrats again ! Ask your friend what he was feeeding so you can half and half it so Spongee does not get a tummy ache..In the meantime some nice cooked ground turkey with a bit of rice will be okay till then...No salt of course..

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Ask your friend what he was feeeding so you can half and half it so Spongee does not get a tummy ache
Or, maybe Spongee was already getting a good quality diet, and then you can stick with that... there are lots of food threads here on the forum that you can check out if you have questions about what are good, nutritionally-sound foods...

Bless you for rescuing this little guy, too! It's great you were willing to open your home and heart to a soon-to-be-homeless poodle!

As bigredpoodle mentioned, grooming will play a big part in your life with Spongee. Haircuts can be as simple or as complicated as you want. The more simple and short the cut, the easier the upkeep. Poodles don't have fur like most dogs - they have hair which will grow and grow and grow if not cut/clipped regularly. If you check out the Grooming section of this forum, you'll see pictures and/or descriptions of different kinds of cuts. Brushing and combing is also very important to keep matting from occuring.

Sounds like Spongee has a great new home with a guy who will do what it takes to keep him healthy and happy! Have fun, you two!! :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yeah! Only a real man has a Toy Poodle! :)

Poodles are immensely athletic dogs, so yes it is totally normal for your dog to be able to jump 3 feet in the air from a stand-still. Also, Spongebud probably isn't hyper, he is most likely high drive the same way a Border Collie is high drive. Toy Poodles can be great working dogs. You need to give this boy a job to keep his mind and body active.

A job can be a simple as teaching tricks: sit up, roll over, walk on your back legs..... or you can think about actually training this dog for competition Obedience or Agility.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and he is a manly poodle! :) Well it seems there are some really good people here. I appreciate all the congratulations. I need to give him a job, huh? HMM I wonder if they make mini lawn mowers?
My friend took him to the groomers two days after I took him. But there was a problem. He kept snapping at them and they called and told her to pick him up. I havent seen this side of him. He seems like such a happy little guy. So I guess I cant bring him there again. Well off to the gym...well first I'll go throw the ball a few dozen times so he can get his workout too.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yes, and he is a manly poodle! :) Well it seems there are some really good people here. I appreciate all the congratulations. I need to give him a job, huh? HMM I wonder if they make mini lawn mowers?
My friend took him to the groomers two days after I took him. But there was a problem. He kept snapping at them and they called and told her to pick him up. I havent seen this side of him. He seems like such a happy little guy. So I guess I cant bring him there again. Well off to the gym...well first I'll go throw the ball a few dozen times so he can get his workout too.
Hey, my friend taught her Toy to play a toy piano. Cute trick.

You need to get on top of the grooming thing. Poodles live much of their lives on the grooming table and they need to suck it up and be good citizens.

Practice putting him on a table at home and brushing him. I like to stand a dog on those non-skid mats you put under throw rugs because they make the dog feel more secure. You can buy them at any hardware store.

PRAISE! PRAISE! TREAT! for good behavior. Give him a strong collar correction and a firm verbal warning for nasty behavior. I bet he is going to learn to stand well if only because he will want to please you. If this doesn't work, PM me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi from the Uk. I was in the same boat as you when I got my first toy poodle but you soon get into a good routine. Inca was a baby when I got her, so I taught her to lie across my knees and let me groom her, sort of additional strokes when you're watching TV. If you do it little and often, they soon learn. I agree with another poster, they can be very driven. I had to wait quite a long time before I could take Inca to obedience. She cottoned on so quickly, she got fed up by the time the trainer got to her. I taught her tricks at home, got the lead training right and a good recall, then I took her to agility and heelwork to music. It's very much like having another person living with you - enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi from across the pond and across the country. I'm in California. What are you grooming inca with when you watch tv? I gave spongee a bath last night and at first he ran around a lot after and rolled on every rug in the house. But then he seemed to calm down and sleep in my lap while I watched tv. I stroked him with my hand only. Is there a special poodle brush?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi spungbud and welcome to the forum. I love your the name you chose! So the little guy had the zoomies after his bath. That is common; even my standards to that. I use a pin brush to brush mine out after a bath. I'm sure you find all sorts of help here on the forum. Happy to have you with us.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To spongebud - I groom Inca with a soft slicker and a comb with two sizes of teeth. When she was in show coat, I line brushed right down to the skin then used the comb.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Spongebud, good for you for saving Spongee from going to the pound. Welcome to this forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. BTW, what part of California are you from? I live in Central Cal. around Modesto, was born and raised in So. Cal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Fuz. I'm down here in Visalia. Are your dogs indoor dogs? Spongee is outside till I get home from work at 11 30 at night. But it's been cold lately. I'm thinking of getting a doghouse. He comes in and flies around the house and plays with toys and always pushes them under the couch and he proceeds to whine like its the end of the world. So I have to move the couch. This seems to be a nightly ritual. But I think he's becoming a conan obrien fan.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That is so great of you to open your home and heart for Spongee (love his name, btw..lol). I am sure he will give you loads of joy for your kindness to him.

Definitely work with him on standing on a table top and brushing him, if he gets naughty, as Cbrand says, be firm in letting him know it is not acceptable (not meanly!! obvioulsy!) just firm, and lots of praise and treats for good behavior. Once he realizes what is expected of him, you should be able to drop him off at a groomers without issues.

I agree with the "not hyper", just a normal active poodle. Toys tend to be more exuberant than the standards, but they all have plenty of desire to "do something". It sure sounds like he is one happy boy with you! :)

Congratulations on your first dog since being a child, congratulations on opening your heart to a dog in need, and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to hang out. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, jesters mom. So is jester a bit of a clown? I cant take credit for the name. My friend named him that cause they happened to have spongebob on tv when they brought him home 3 years ago. It's kind of a sad story. She admitted that they gave him less and less attention over time and more to their other dogs...and so he started getting jealouse and grouchy and started attacking the other 2 dogs. Understandable behavior. People get that way also. Now they miss him. I havent seen any of that behavior. Probably cause he is the only one here. But I really hesitated to take him cause I'm not home that much. I work a lot of days off. I hope I did the right thing and that he doesnt feel neglected all the hours I'm at work.
Good to hear from you and all the nice people here. So you are in vermont, huh? Must be cold there b y now. So they must be inside dogs. I grew up a bit further south down 91, in Springfield MA.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Spongebud, ours are inside dogs. They act like we are punishing them if we leave them outside anytime at all if we are not outside with them. They love it outside, running, playing and etc. as long as we are outside too. After you get home from work at 11:30 pm and the two of you watch a little Conan O'brien together does Spongee stay inside the rest of the evening or does he go back outside? BTW, David Letterman is on at that time also, thats our choice of a late night show, never cared much for Conan myself. Didn't really care a lot about Jay Leno either, but did like him better then Conan. Was a big fan of Johnny Carson, always wished that Letterman had been the one taking over for Carson.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again. Yes spongee stays in all night. He has chosen the first shelf in the laundry room as his bed. So I put his bed and blankets there. And he goes out in the morning.
I think Johnny was the best also. But I did become a leno fan cause I went to the show several times and had pics taken with him. It was always a fun experience.
Well we are going to turn in early tonight cause I was off work. So good night zzzzzzz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts