Poodle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rescued a small dog from a rescue in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico last month. Meet Winston, who had been living on the streets for quite some time.
Not 100% he's all poodle but that's the consensus.
No idea what was in his past, but he's a sweetheart.
He's 4-5 years old and runs a little crooked and hops at times. No signs of pain.
Is that normal?
Thanks for any information or suggestions to new poodle parents. ❤🐾
Dog Water dog Collar Dog supply Fawn
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Oh my goodness. What a change in his appearance!

Has your vet eval Luxating patella - that is, the kneecap slipping out of place - is unfortunately common in small dogs. They go bopping along, the kneecap pops out of position, the dog hitches up the suddenly non functional leg until the kneecap (hopefully) returns to its proper place, and then the dog continues bopping along just like before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both our furbutts are rescues from San Felipe Dog Rescue.
Our vet in San Felipe is wonderful and he estimated his age and did a full workup. He was treated for tick fever. He's a new dog now. Learning to play and live inside. The vet never mentioned luxating patella. We don't know any history. We'll keep watching for changes as he comes out of his shell. He's seeing vet again in late February for follow up and "snip, snip".

·
Registered
274 Posts
Poor guy. I'm so glad you found each other. I can't imagine the little guy living on the streets having to fend for himself, or the weight and discomfort of those mats. He must feel so much better. I hope you'll keep us posted on how he does as he becomes more comfortable in his new home.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
He’s lucky to have found you. Sweet looking little boy.

It does sound like he has problems with his patellas. I would call the vet and ask specifically if they had checked Winston’s hind legs.

Reactions: SueMcD

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
I so love a happy tail tale! :)!
Please do stay in touch so we can watch him bloom in your care.

As for running crooked and the hopping, could be several things. Patellas are possible, a fracture that didn't heal quite right, or something else with leg, hip or spine.

If he were my pup, I'd ask for x-rays to look for possibilities beyond his knees, jic. Try to get a video for the vet since it's not all the time.

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
299 Posts
Lucky Winston. What a change! If indeed it is luxating patellar, it can become very painful and arthritic. It can be hereditary but also from trauma. As @roses mentioned crooked running you suggest trauma. Winston has been left to fend for himself - who knows what he has endured. Luckily he is comfortable and safe now. He has the sweetest face and a very insistent look in his eyes. Love love love

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the information and love for Winston. He's starting to come out of his shell more this week. Still not too playful with his new sister, but he engages for a minute or so with her. I wonder if he's always lived in a crate? We took him for 2 walks this week. Leash work & fresh air! He did well, NO hopping and walking normal. Even a little running. Still keeping an eye for hopping.
Thanks again. TGIF 😊
Sky Mountain Cloud Dog People in nature

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
He is so very lucky he found you! Thank you for rescuing him! Looks like a great walking path, too.

I also rescued my girl when she was almost 6. Not sure if she's full poodle either. She's the size of a mini, and even though she didn't show any signs of luxating patellas, I put her on joint supplements right away with the vet's permission. You might consult with the vet about that just as a preventative.

Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about his progress!!

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
Winston looks wonderful in your beautiful place. He landed well. Many great time ahead! Welcome to PF:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts