Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

We'd been looking to add a 2nd dog for quite a while now, we currently have a chinese crested and needed one that would be friendly, not agressive and failry passive to meet Quincy's personality, or at least compliment it.

So wednesday we went to visit a minature poodle, to be honest she wasn't my first choice for a dog, all that hair is daunting and the grooming that goes along with it, even more so. Quincy my hairless gets groomed monthly but it isn't hard to do, I choose to have a groomer do it because I am afraid of hurting him etc etc...breeder said that most groomer loves to groom poodles because their hair is so verstaile and you can do so much with it, different styles etc etc...still I wasn't sure, I already had a "snobby dog" and a poodle in my mind was a snobby, richy sort of prissy dog to own. However....when she was let out of the ex-pen, she came rushing out and right into my daughter's lap...we spent a LONG time there with her, talking to the breeder and I was falling more in love each minute. The breeder showed us just how tolerant she is...I have never seen anything like it, you can do anything to her and she doesn't flinch, or get nervous etc etc...she is far from prissy or snobbish.

Needless to say Ruby came home immediatly with us....She has done super well and I am quite impressed. She LOVES the snow, she digs and plays and rolls in it, I have never had a dog who liked snow. She is doing great with housetraining, and only has had one mistake in the house, considering she spent her life in a kennel, in a pen where it didn't matter where she went, she has done excellent. She doesn't like her crate and the only way she will tolerate it is if she cannot see or hear us while she is in it, so she sleeps in the entryway to the house in her crate and does well all night, she IS able to hold it all night in her crate. She is friendly and by far the LEAST snobby, or priss like dog I have ever owned lol. She loves to play and is very eager.

She is black with a bit of grey on her face and a bit of white on one foot and mighty cute. She loves to snuggle and be snuggled with, she is very laid back and really has a great attitude (for now).

She gets along well with my crested and doesn't seem to notice the parrot that is out on a playstand through the day. I run daycare and have kids here m-f and she does well with them, if they go to touch her she lays down right away. She is also very empathetic, if one of the kids cry she is right there looking at them and trying to lick their tears away.

Its been a few days now and I have questions about her grooming.

1) I bathed her on Wednesday because she smelled bad, but really was rushed because she was so new and so scared, when is it ok to bathe her again?

2) her hair is really all over the plaace and am unsure as to how to clip her, I would be interested in seeing pics of puppies with various clips. It looks matted and unruly, but it isn't matted at all, just looks like it. Its kinda fly away and she is a big puffball right now (remember I am used to a hairless dog lol) groomer says she will give her a puppy cut for a bit but I am unsure as to what that looks like exactly.

3) she often gets poop stuck to ther fur around her bottom, do you guys keep that area bare ? if not how do you depoop yours?

4) any other information that would be helpful in regards to care, training, grooming, feeding etc etc etc....

Anyway here are a few pics of her just to give you an idea of what I am talking about, in terms of the hair, and to show you just how cute she is.

This was her first full day with us (so Thursday)

Her body

Her face again (she is very sleepy from a long walk lol)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwww welcome to the wonderful world of poodles. LoL, You'll be surprised how unsnobby and tomboyish a lot of poodles are. Mine certainly IS!!! LoL.

What a pretty baby you guys have there, I love the pink bow!! :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She is adorable!! Congrats on your new addition and welcome. She is going to be a silver. That "gray" on her face and feet is her silver color coming in. She will eventually clear out to all silver over the next couple years. She has an adorable face, sooo cute!

About her hair, a puppy cut is all you need for her as a puppy. You can tell your groomer if you want it a bit longer or shorter depending on if you have a preference for length. As far as poo on her hinney, clipping her there is definitely done to keep them from getting soiled. Two of mine don't get soiled even with long hair, but one does. Also, you will want to make sure your groomer pulls the hair from her ears to make sure she doesn't get ear infections. Poodles have a lot of hair that grow in their ears that needs to be pulled regularly.

Poodles don't get "doggy" smelling like most breeds but I bath every two weeks just to keep dirt out of the coat and because mine go to the nursing home once a week. Just make sure you use a good puppy shampoo, I prefer tearless ones so I don't have to worry about irritating their eyes, but that is my preference, and I like using a conditioner as it makes their coat great for combing. Make sure you put cotton balls in the ears before you give a bath to be sure that you don't accidentally get water into the canal as this can cause problems if left wet.

She sounds like she is an absolute cutie! I am sure you are going to be very happy with your mini. I know I love my toy and my standards, they are absolutely lovely, wonderful dogs!! My toy had to be corrected for trying to bite me when I first got him and tried grooming him.... I had to quietly hold him down till he calmed down then continue grooming and repeat the hold till he realized I was not going to hurt him and was not going to allow him to boss me around. Now he loves his grooming and has learned to accept his clipping without issue. He, and the standards, all love having their baths and lick the water as I spray it on them and lick my face...lol.

Congrats on your new baby! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So she won't be black forever?? That kinda makes me sad :( I wish the breeder had of mentioned that, not that it would have changed my mind but would have been nice to know that ahead of time.

Ahh well she's pretty darn cute no matter what colour she is, full of personality and trouble lol.

Is pulling the hair inside her ears something I can do on my own without hurting her? Do you just get tweezers and pluck?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awwwwwwwwwww welcome to the wonderful world of poodles. LoL, You'll be surprised how unsnobby and tomboyish a lot of poodles are. Mine certainly IS!!! LoL.

What a pretty baby you guys have there, I love the pink bow!! :)
The hair thing is so much fun, I can see how people do all sorts of silly things with their poodles lol. I saw a pic of a ninja turtle poodle LOL, so cute, not something I would do but really cute just the same. I haven't had a dog with thsi much hair ever so it's gonna be fun I think lol. My boy is hairless so really can't do much if he ain't got it lol.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So she won't be black forever?? That kinda makes me sad :( I wish the breeder had of mentioned that, not that it would have changed my mind but would have been nice to know that ahead of time.

Ahh well she's pretty darn cute no matter what colour she is, full of personality and trouble lol.

Is pulling the hair inside her ears something I can do on my own without hurting her? Do you just get tweezers and pluck?
Yeah, you would think that the breeder, if they know the breed, would have mentioned that she is going to be a silver. But silver's are gorgeous after they clear out, I don't think you will be upset with her color at all...lol. You will really see her silver when you get her face and feet clipped.

Here is a pic of my silver standard puppy before she was clipped and after her clip. Silvers are born solid black and start showing their silver coming in about 6 - 8 weeks.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here is some info on silvers.

This color is also a dilute of black. It also carries the fading gene.

Silvers are born black and clear over time.

Silvers should have silver face and feet by the age of 6 weeks to be a real silver poodle.

There are varying shades of silver to sparkling platinum that is almost white to a beautiful pewter color.

Silvers must have black points and dark brown eyes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A doll for sure!

Definitely learn how to do a sanitary trim on her rear (under her tail) and near her pee area.

Keep the pee area clean by washing it more often than the rest of her and the hair clipped short (to help avoid urinary tract infections there ).

As your poodle gets bigger, the crested will probably be outsized (is he toy size?).

I have a six pound maltese with my 18 pound miniature poodle and the play is mismatched in weight (the poodle tries to be gentle though).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely learn how to do a sanitary trim on her rear (under her tail) and near her pee area.

Keep the pee area clean by washing it more often than the rest of her and the hair clipped short (to help avoid urinary tract infections there ).

As your poodle gets bigger, the crested will probably be outsized (is he toy size?).

I have a six pound maltese with my 18 pound miniature poodle and the play is mismatched in weight (the poodle tries to be gentle though).

Quincy is about 10lbs...breeder said she shoudn't be anymore than 7 or 8lbs, but she didn't tell me she wouldn't be black forever so now I'm not sure I trust her lol. No matter really what size she gets to be, she is 5lbs now so I bet she gets closer to 9 or 10 before she is through growing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
:welcome: and congratulations on your new addition, she looks lovely.
jester's mom she is too beautiful, I love the transformation from fluffy face to clipped up.

I bath my boy every week and haven't seen any ill effects. Very rarely he might go two weeks, and occasionally he has had two baths in one week if we're going some where special.

Clipping fur away from privates is called a sanitary clip and your groomer can do it for you. Of course you can do it yourself too if your going to be grooming her yourself. I use a #30 blade on T cause he is use to that short a length and it is really easy to keep him clean with just a wipe down, but you might start on a #10 or #15 if she hasn't been clipped before and work your way down if you like it shorter in those areas.

I had a gorgeous toy in on Saturday for clipping but unfortunately she likes the hairy look, I was itching to take my clippers to his f,f & t he would have looked so refined with all that fur gone :rofl: but again it's up to you. If you like the fluffy face then leave it, might be a good idea to get a poodle groomer to do his first clip if your going to have her short, they can set the pattern then for you to follow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congratulations on your poodle. I'd never had one before we got Inca. Now we have Coco as well and I would have another if I could get my husband to agree. However many times you bath them, always remember to wash the shampoo out very, very carefully. Their hair seems to hang onto the shampoo more than our own hair would. Also, if you miss a bit of poo, a close toothed comb is very useful. I kept Inca in puppy trim (face, feet and tail clipped) until she was 5 months old. Then as she was going in the show ring, I cut her into puppy pants and allowed her mane to grow. Coco has always been close clipped, with more hair on her legs as I like the look of puppy pants legs. Have fun and let your imagination dictate what cut your baby has.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts