Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm from Perth Western Australia and I have a red standard poodle named Milo, however according to several people Milo is too small as at 15 weeks he weighs 7.2kgs. and he is very small. What do you all think?
Milo & Me.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
What do you mean by "too small?" Is he ribby? Showing other signs of ill health?

If not, and if your vet wasn't concerned when you went in for vaccinations, then I wouldn't worry. If he's 7.2 kg now, there's no chance he'll end up mini sized. Standard poodles vary a lot in size. It's totally fine if he doesn't grow to the size of a small pony.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Milo!

Weight is often all we can get easily on these young wiggly pups, but it's height at the shoulder which is the determiner.

From Arpeggio Poodles website:
I dont hold a lot of stock in the size charts for poodles out there but I have gotten so many requests for them I decided to post some of the better ones here. Remember though, there are NO weight restrictions on poodles only height so really weight doesnt have a lot to do with the poodle.Toys are 10 inches in height and under.Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches.Standards are over 15 inches. This by the breed standards for both AKC and UKC. NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

HEIGHT CHART FOR TOY POODLES

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
5 WEEKS5 INCHES

8 WEEKS

6 INCHES
12 WEEKS
7 INCHES
16 WEEKS
8 INCHES

20 WEEKS

9 INCHES

24 WEEKS

10 INCHES

Toy poodles are usually finished growing in height at 6-7 months although it may take them a bit longer to fill out.

Here is another height chart for toy poodles.

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS5 3/4 INCHES
12 WEEKS6 3/4 INCHES
6 MONTHS9 3/4 INCHES

HEIGHT CHART FOR MINIATURE POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS8 - 8.5 INCHES
3 MONTHS10 - 10.5 INCHES
4 MONTHS11 - 11.5 INCHES
6 MONTHS13.5 - 14 INCHES

Some miniature poodles will take up to 12 months to finish growing. Some will finish growing in height around 6-7 months but may take a bit longer to fill out.

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS12 - 13 INCHES
3 MONTHS14 INCHES
4 MONTHS18-19 INCHES
6 MONTHS21+ INCHES
FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone - I will measure his height tonight but there is no way for a 4 month old pup is he 18-19'' at the withers. I know his both his parents were only 24" full grown. Am hoping Milo will reach that height. Maybe I am looking for a small pony .. 😁

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The charts can only be generalities but size will depend not only on the parents but on prior generations as well. Does your breeder happen to have several generations of pedigree and physical info available? That might help estimate mature size.

Found this info in a thread for you. Several members have charted and shared their spoo's growth in weight. This is two different spoos from one owner (weight only, in pounds)

For comparison, here are puppy weights for my Cammie (a small female - 35 pounds as an adult) and Sam (an average sized male - 50 pounds as an adult)

Cammie weight

10 weeks: 7 lbs
11 weeks: 8 lbs
12 weeks: 10 lbs
3 months: 10 lbs, 13 in
4 months: 17 lbs, 16 in 49% of adult weight.
5 months: 21 lbs, 18 in
6 months: 26 lbs, 19 in 74% of adult weight
8 months: 32 lbs, 20 in 91% of adult weight
9 months: 32 lbs, 21 in
12 months: 35 lbs, 21 in
18 months: 35 lbs, 21.5 in

Sam weight

4 weeks: 5.3 lbs
6 weeks: 7.6 lbs
8 weeks: 11.0 lbs
9 weeks: 12.3 lbs
10 weeks: 15.0 lbs
12 weeks: 18.3 lbs
4 months: 26 lbs 51% of adult weight
5 months: 32 lbs
6 months: 39 lbs 76% of adult weight
8 months: 43 lbs 84% of adult weight
12 months: 49 lbs
18 months: 51 lbs

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I was looking for moyen sized when I got Pogo. So, naturally, I ended up with a dog that's 26-27 inches. He looks huge when he's freshly groomed in his winter coat.

One day I took him to visit an elderly relative in the nursing home. One of the residents froze in place and asked: "What is THAT?!"
" A poodle, " I replied.
"But, but, he's enormous. Poodles are..." She trailed off.
"He's a standard poodle. They get this big, " I responded.
"But, but, how..." she continued.
At this point her husband intervened. " CRISPR, Alice dear, CRISPR, " he boomed out with a laugh.

Yep, pony sized poodles are fabricated in secret biological research facilities. That's why they're scarce. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone -thanks for all you responses. At 16 weeks Milo now weighs 22lbs and tried to measure his height from withers but was a bit difficult .. i estimated he is only 12inches. The breeder still has the grandfather so will ask approximately what his height and weight is.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I know his both his parents were only 24" full grown. Am hoping Milo will reach that height. Maybe I am looking for a small pony .. 😁
The breed standard is 18 to 24 inches (62 cm). Yet another reason Pogo the Ponydoodle never entered the show ring. :D

My boy Galen at 16 weeks hit 22.8 pounds and around 16 inches at the shoulder. My breeder thinks his litter will end up around 50 pounds on average. It sounds like your pup is comparable weightwise.

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
What a gorgeous red puppy! Don’t stress the stats, stress the training:). Congratulations and welcome to PF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all - I thought I posted this before but can't seem to find it. Milo now weighs at 16 weeks 22lbs (10ksg) and he's height at withers is 12inches or there abouts.. he was wiggling all over the place and that is approximately only. He could be taller but kept trying to stooping to try and bite the tape measure lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Welcome! What a gorgeous red! Rose n poos, thanks for posting that chart! I've never seen a chart done by height :). most I've seen are by weight so it was interesting to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts