Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two standards - Ginger - female and Teddy - male - same age , When I give them each a biscuit, she will wait until he is finished until she eats hers - even if he is in his crate. I thought maybe she thought he was dominant but if he goes to lay down near her she growls and he backs off so I don't think that is it. anyone got an answer? :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sounds like she is the dominant one. I don't have this with the Spoos, but the Poms I do.

Aoki will do the same exact thing and I think it's to taunt Coco because he is going to come over and sniff.....so when he does she growls like she might bite his head off! I feel it's her way of being the stronger one :eek:hwell: she is also much smaller then him. Not sure if thats the answer but I can relate! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree, she's dominant. If she was submissive she'd eat hers quick so he doesn't get a chance to take it. She's "allowing" him to have a biscuit but letting him know she is making that decision by not allowing him near her's. She also knows you're the alpha so if you gave him a biscuit then she must let him have it. It's probably not as strick as that b/c they are friends and the same age but she has the final call between the two of them. :):):)

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's so strange that you mention this.

We have one toy poodle and 3 Boston Terriers. Pedey, the poodle is only 7 lbs and the Bostons are between 15 & 20 lbs. Pedey has deformed back legs and doesn't get around as well as the others.

I have never seen a dog do what he does.....

When we give them treats, he hoards his. He doesn't eat it and walks around with it. If anyone goes near him he growls at them. We've come to learn that Pedey has dominance tendencies. He plays the victim, but he's actually the instigator in many of the squabbles that break out. He looks like such a pittiful little thing, so you feel sorry for him, but in fact he's controlling them all! What a little stinker!

He will also run around and try to bury his treat. He gets all frantic and whines when he can't find a good place and go back and remove it from it's original place and hide it somewhere else. Does anyone know what that's all about?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! thanks for the comments - I kinda thought she was dominant over him but the biscuit thing confused me. We are getting a new dog in the pack in April when my daughter gets married - Akita Huskey Lab mix - he is 12 years old - I hope Teddy gets along with him. Ginger gets along with all other dogs but Teddy and my son's dog don't get along. still trying to figure him out - lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts