Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hello::hello:

Hi, my name is Kristy and I live in Indiana. My family adores poodles, we have a few!

I love looking at pictures of poodles being poodles (but the nicely groomed dog pics are very nice as well) so I thought this might be a good place to visit!

Kristy

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi Kristy and :wave: welcome to the poodle forum. The guys post heaps of good pics, I'm a bit slack and my baby boy misses out too often. What size, colour, *** etc ... are your family poodles ... ohh and pics too of course :smile:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm...well here goes! I will try to get some pics up of our family...but with doing all their grooming myself, pictures are few and far between! I have a comb in front of me and a puppy in my lap as I type this! LOL

Punkin...toy apricot
Peanut...toy parti-color white/cream
Dolly...toy parti-color white/black
Kikiyo...toy sable marked silver/cream
Shippo...toy sable marked apricot/cream
Fenton...toy phantom marked black/cream
Ruby...toy red

Raven...mini black
Heidi...mini parti-color white/chocolate
Ginger...mini dark apricot

Daisy...standard black
Casey...standard dark apricot

The others:
Piggy...french bulldog
Gypsy...HHL Chinese Crested Dog
Cleo Bitty...Sphynx Cat
Katara...Cheetoh Cat
Dillemma...Peterbald X Donskoy cat
Toph...Donskoy cat
Shimmer...Donskoy Cat

Me, Hubby and our 3 sons makes ALOT....good thing I am one of those people who can't sit still, if I ever did nothing would get done! LOL

The pictures are of Hubby and us pretending we have daughters....see how sad it is for those with only male children? We have to resort to playing dress-up with our furry daughters! I didn't want poor Shippo to be left out so he is wearing a camo sweat-shirt. We even put dresses on the cats, but as you can tell from the pics...Shimmer was NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi
I'm your neighbor in IL. I have two HHL Chinese Crested girls and one standard poodle puppy. I LOVE Frenchies too. My friend had one that was really sweet.
I can relate to dressing up the girl puppies as I have two human sons and so I have to buy frills for my Cresties! :)
Welcome!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purple Poodle, I LOVE your poodle in your avatar...I am partial to the parti-color ones myself! Hubby likes the solids and we both like the phantom marked ones!

Hello to you in IL!

Our Chinese Crested has been an exercise in patience, we love her to death but she is a 100% food thief. All the poodles leave our kids alone when they eat but she insists on begging. She also tore through our couch and a rocker chair, and a dining room chair as well...and we have at least 10 chewy treats on the floor all the time. I am so glad she seems to have out grown all the chewing...she really is a good dog and is very protective of the cats. She doesn't like to get dressed up, no matter how cold it is outside she hates to wear any clothes...but I do have a picture of her wearing a t-shirt that is a bit funny! I will try to post more pics of the family over in the photo section! Today is hubby's only day of the week off so its hard for me to be on-line as much as I would like! I will do my best though!

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Would love to see some pics of Fenton. The phantoms where what caught my eye intially after trawling the internet looking at colours and I went searching for a black/cream standard. HA HA here in Australia they are about as rare as unicorns.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have a few pictures of him...my son got gum in his ear hair and I had to shave the hair of his ears. I am waiting for him to look more poodle-like before I take more pics of him!

I do have some pics of a little phantom male that is almost the same color as Fenton...this is Lil Bit, he belongs to my husband's friend. He is a toy, ummmm I think he is about 6 months old and I think HT said he weighs 3.7 lbs now. I don't really care for his body style...but he sure is a cutie!

I will try to get some pics of Fenton when I can...but I do have some of Bit's sister that HT sent me, and that picture has another phantom female in it that looks just like my Fenton, only she is bigger.

These pics are of Bit...we baby-sit from time to time! One of them is from his breeder...I think he was @ 6 weeks old in that picture. His daddy is a phantom and mommy is black.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More phantom pics...Bit's sister and her adopted sister. The adopted sister (bigger phantom) looks a lot like my Fenton!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only pics of Fenton I can find...I took these pics the day I had to cut the gum out of his hair. Doesn't he look a bit sad? I took the pics, then evened out his ear hair...but the camera's batteries died before I could take after shots.

I took the pics to remind my son how sad Fenton was when he put gum in his hair...so far no more gum in the hair, hoping it worked! Now when I give him gum he always says, I won't drop it on the dogs this time, I promise!

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yep they sure are cute :smile: Thanks for those pics IPP. Maybe one day I will have one. They are at the top of my list of "must have one day" dogs unfortuntely that list is getting so long I will have to live to be 100yrs to get them all :rofl:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
welcome to the forum. I am loking forward to seeing the whole family together! lol God Bless you! You have your hands full!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we do have quite a few...but they are all in the house all the time except for when they go out to potty. Hubby and I gave up on sleeping alone a long time ago. Lucky for us the standards prefer to sleep on the couches our in the dog beds or I am sure we would have to have 2 king sized beds pushed together. Of course you never get cold or lonely, that is for sure!

I have always been around animals growing up...always had more than one pet at a time and the same with my husband. My first love was Rotties, but after allergies became such an issue I had to consider a non-shedding breed. I visited everything from Maltese to Bichon breeders, but I am not sure if it was the cats in their home or the puppies themselves, but ALL other breeds besides Poodles and Chinese Crested I have encountered have made me sneeze or at least stuffy. Our french bulldog can't sleep in the bed with us, not that she has ever even tried to jump up on the bed and I still have to take allergy meds everyday for other allergies.

So yeah...we have quite a few, but they are all well loved and UTD on their shots, flea/heartworm meds and so on. I do my own 7 in 1 shots to save a bit of money...but I am one of the lucky few who has an awesome vet who doesn't charge office visits. He only charges for the cost of meds so taking your dog to be vaccinated costs you $12.00 TOTAL instead of the $25.00 office visit + $12.00 shot.

I haven't had anyone ever show me how to groom, so I am still learning after 3 yrs. I am sure my dogs hair cuts look a bit odd, but I do try. I have some dogs that came to me never been groomed so some are far from a treat to groom at all!

My poor Daisy came from a breeder who kept her in a 8 foot X 10 foot kennel with 2 labs...2 yrs old and never been groomed. I weighed her hair after I got her able to move basically...it was 5 lbs of hair including all the leaves, sticks, poop, ect. I probably took almost 7 lbs after I finished her feet and face...now I just keep her shaved down totally at about 2-3 inches long. I had to groom her while sitting under the kitchen table, because that is the only place she felt 100% safe at the time.

It can be hectic, but we manage just fine I think...most people do think we are crazy but once they visit they always want to come back. Our home isn't the mad house it would seem like, our guys are all trained and only bark when someone knocks, then are quiet after they enter. I do watch a lot of Ceaser to make sure my pack is acting correctly and to see if there is any behavior I want to try to modify!

Our kids love having friends over, because our dogs love kids and games...so they keep each other entertained!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I watch Ceasar also - you sure have a pack! WE have four - 2 standards and 2 minis - don't know how you do it - the grooming I mean.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 3 sets of clippers and when one set gets too warm I switch. I do swear by the Andis Cool Care Plus...and I have my own sharpening kit that my husband uses about every other week. Since I keep most of them in a short coat, a simple 5 minutes per dog with a slicker brush is all I usually need. I bathe everyone once a month, first with Kenic Oatmeal Shampoo, then with the Allergen shampoo, then spray with the Oatmeal Spray then either comb and dry or just dry. The spray works great with helping get tangles out. Just not dried gum I'm afraid...

I am a stay at home mom, so when the young one goes down for a nap that is my time to brush everyone. I just put the brush and comb on the couch and everyone jumps up for their turn!

A few I have to lure with treats but they all enjoy the attention so they are all pretty good about it.

I have even caught my hubby brushing them from time to time...but only his favorite girls, Punkin and Casey. He doesn't like it when they jump when you hit a tangle and he is still learning...but those 2 could care less if he was ripping their hair out in clumps, they just love daddy!

I will get a few pics up in the picture section while I have a few minutes!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I really admire you ! - you sound like you really have it altogether with those pups. I like to keep mine short too - easiest in summer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, not all the time. When its cold we have sweaters for everyone, and they will tolerate it for a walk as long as they don't have to wear it when we get home. Then they think that its okay to run around trying to rip them off each other!

Its 32 degrees today....freezing out with snow on the ground. I let them out for a potty break and they all went out in their nice clean sweaters and rolled around, so now I am quick bathing and brushing out everyone before the oldest gets home from school. :banghead:

At least they were wearing sweaters so I only have to wash faces and feet!:high5:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts