Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Is this where I can ask questions and get help?
I am asking first because I posted on other sites and got
no responses at all.. so dissapointed. I love my new Toy
Poodle. 11 monthes old and thinks hes a real baby. I need
help!:crying:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
:welcome: Yes, this is a great place to get answers to your questions. I have been here for only a few weeks and have found the forum to be quite active and helpful. I have also belonged to a forum where people didn't post for days and I know how you feel. I think you will be happy here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi there,
Ask away and hopefully we can help. I have two standard poodles and Chinese Crested so I have big and little dogs. We love pictures here so don't be shy to post away!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi and welcome!! The people here are very nice and very helpful. I think you found the right place. Can't wait to see pictures of your baby.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Where's the pictures first :rofl: nah your gunna love it here :welcome:.
I can't get through the day without checking back in, does that mean I'm an addict?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome to the forum...that goes for all the new members I unintentionally ignored.
What do you need help with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks for the replies! I am sure I clicked the box to email me when I get replies,but I didnt get email saying I had any. Well.. where to start? First of all we got Pierre our
now one yr old Toy Poodle from an 82 yr old lady. She had gotten him as a campanion for her husband who then became ill and she had to put him in assisted living. So after 1.Losing his master 11/08
2.Pierre and the lady moving from the farm to an apt
1/09
3.Then to a newly built Condo 2/09
4.Then she decided she could no longer care for him.

Now heres the hard part.

She hand fed him
She ROCKED him to sleep at night. At 9PM.
She lifted him on to and off the couch chairs lap, etc.
She pad trained him.. only taking him for short walks.
She handed him his toys.. he doesnt pick up his own to play!
She carried him in and out.. so hes afraid of the door.. the steps.. wont step over things like.. sides of cement etc.
He RUNS on the leash.. wont walk and constantly chokes
himself! We are trying so hard to teach him to walk with us!!!

You cant imagine what we are going thru. Hes soooo
sweet and loveable.. we love him so much!! But hes just
starting to learn hes not a baby.. but a dog. And its sad.
I know its separation anxiety but hes starting to get used
to us. Although hes so small, only 7 lbs. She only fed him a small handfull of food in the AM and PM. We immediatly took him to the vet but all his shots are current and the
vet said hes perfectly healthy. About 8:30 he starts the nudging my knee thing and wants to be rocked to sleep..
so of coarse I did it! lol it was sooo darn sweet... and yes
id hold him like a baby as she did.. and soon he was zzzzzzzzz. But it wasnt long and we knew we has to change all thing knowing it would be traumatic for him.. and it is/was. Whew this all seems so goofy to tell.. I can
just see you all shaking your heads. Everyone who sees him just falls in love with him!! But im telling you the first week I was worn completely out.. this 57 yr old gramma wasnt used to this. Our last poodle was 13 when he passed and he was spoiled as I know they all are but this is completely different! She said he was so smart but it seems she never tought him anything.. he wont jump up or down.. doesnt react to come here come on, let go, go outside or inside, nothing!! Many times my husband and I look at each other and want to throw in the hat! He came with coats and sweaters and he loves to wear them. But when we take him out it takes 30 to 45 min for him to go potty.. we both said he acts like he doesnt know what hes outside for. If in fact he was pad trained like she said he has completely forgotten it. This lady has no reason to fib, unless she was afraid of him not getting a good home. She didnt want money so I went and cleaned her house for a while.. since thats what I do for a living anyway. :hello:
Well you may be sorry you asked what I needed help with lol Everything! Guess whos nudging my knee to be rocked to sleep.. its so hard to say no.. being so sweet and all. But he has to learn hes a dog.. darn it.
OK I learned how to post pics but its telling me the size is larger than allowed here. So I guess thats out.
Thanks for any help with Pierre and thanks for reading this long post.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Wow. It sounds like you got a kid not a dog eeeek.

Could you maybe convert him slowly? Maybe not hand feed him but rock him to sleep, etc, etc.. that way he slowly gets off his kid-kick and won't be all confused about his life??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T- Ohh trust me we are doing this ever so slowly!! Because Pierre was so sad! The whole first week he wouldnt eat.. so therefor didnt potty. So there was no choice but to hand feed him. He needed his hair cut so there was alot to do that first week.. Vet visit.. haircut change of food causes she still had him on Eucanuba Small breed food.. Vet said to get him off it. So we started him on IMS Mini Chunks.
He had always slept in a crate but we thought maby hed like more contact so we put him in bed with us. Well he wasnt haveing that at all.. he was scared on the bed and its a King size so its high. He wanted in his crate so thats where we put him.. good thing we have that going for us
I guess! Theres one thing he does that we cant figure out and maby its easy for one of you.. but he does this cute little playful growl thing.. hes stands then steps back and lays in front of us and does this.. we say come here.. come on.. ill pick you up.. then he just moves farther back and wont come close. So we try to ignore him till he gets close enough to pick up.. somtimes it takes up to 5 min to able to pick him up. We have had him a month shouldnt he be more accepting by now?? Ohhh one more thing I forgot his previous owner did..... she HELD him all day long!!!! lol this is unreal. She also turned on MTV and held him and danced.. she said he loved it and would lay his head on your shoulder and sleep.. well I tried it and its true he does.. sheesh. lol As time goes on I rememeber more things she did with him. WE went to Pet Smart and got him lots of those little stuffed animals (flat ones) he loves them and brings it right back if you throw it a thousand times. She played with him and held him all day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
He looks so sweet in your avatar.
7 lbs is tiny.
The amount of food sufficient for that size must look like it's not enough ,which I think is one of the main reasons why so many small dogs are overweight.....they get overfed.
Pierre will come around and become the pup you want,just keep doing the right things and be consistent.
If all fails,you can always turn on MTV and dance with him...that is so funny.
Good luck with him and post some pictures.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My parents had a toy a while back that they got from a little old lady who had to go into a home. Well when I first met this dog I really didn't like her. Her personality was like a wet noodle - mush, boring, bland & dull. She would always walk behind you and would never go into the house first. Needless to say she was obese and only about 5-6yrs old. She couldn't walk up the stairs without taking frequent rests. The first thing my folks did was put her on a diet. They also treated her like they have every other dog that has ever walked into our home.

Well the second time I met this little dog, a few months later, I liked her. She was totally different. She blossomed, found her voice, became communicative with her humans, able to run up the stairs and was enjoyable to be around.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't give up hope. Be yourself, do your normal training things, Pierre will come around. K9 kids are products of the environment in which they live. Poodles may be hard headed at times but they do get it. Your love for him is your best tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts