Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm 37, have two little kids (4 and 6 years old) and two kitty cats (10 years old). Oh yeah, and a husband :)

I am getting my first dog ever, and have decided (after almost a year of research) that it will be a poodle. I have spoken with numerous breeders (I'm in the northeast) and I'm still doing my research to make sure I find someone truly good and honest.

Mostly, I can't decide whether to go with a miniature or a standard. On the one hand, I wonder if the standard would be too big a dog for a first time poodle owner and for two little kids. Plus I worry about if we fly anywhere, we won't be able to bring a large dog in the cabin the way you can with a small dog (silly thing to worry about since we never travel LOL, but I worry just in case). On the other hand, while everything online suggests that mini's should be around 15-20 pounds, the few I've seen in person have been kind of tiny (closer to 10-12lbs), which makes me wonder if they aren't too small.

Once I have that decided I will move forward full-force. I'm so eager to have a dog. Oh, and not to worry, my husband has had dogs before, so he will help me sort it out (along with the five books on raising a puppy and training your dog that I ordered from Amazon!)

Anyway, sorry if I went on too long - now sure how much or how little goes in the introduction, so thought I'd let you know where I'm at in the poodle ownership process.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Jazztoon,
Welcome! I also do not currently have a dog/poodle. I have had several dogs and cats in the past. I am in research mode as well. I have 2 younger children. They will be 2 and 5 next month. My daughter has allergies, so I am between a poodle and a havanese right now. I had a miniature as a child that was a great pet. I personally like the size of a mini. I have had big dogs (2 German Shepherds) and a small dog (miniature dachshund) and just like having a smaller dog. It's hard to choose. I know what you mean with the kids. The bigger dogs seem to have such great temperaments, but will they knock a kid over a lot? The smaller ones seem to require more exercise, or be more active? I am no expert here, and I am sure others will chime in. I know after all of your research and preparation, you will choose the right dog for your family. Best of Luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi there. I don't have a poodle either but am getting a Miniature. My first choice would have been a Standard, but I decided that as we are both in our 60s, a smaller dog would be more suitable.

I have to say that I have had big dogs. The trouble with big dogs when they are puppies is that most are pretty lively - at least I have had an Airedale, Rough Collie, Golden Retriever and my son has a cross between a Poodle and a Golden -- they love having fun and racing around. My Golden would plough through a group of 5 year olds like they were bowling balls!!

I don't have any little children around now, which is a good job because my son's dog leaps off our three foot high deck without using the steps. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body, but I wouldn't allow him around young children just because he is so lively.

Don't get me wrong. I love big dogs. But with little kids I think a smaller dog would be better. Perhaps you could find an older dog - maybe adopt one from a shelter or something. My son's dog is now a year old and a lot calmer than when he was younger, but a dog that is a bit older might be better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to hanging around and learning as much as I can. Someday, I might even graduate to being able to give advice : )

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi Jazztoon! Welcome to the forum!

I used to want a standard poodle, but my husband felt it would be too large for our house and yard (we have a smaller yard). We ended up with a mini and I could not be happier. He is the perfect size for us. I can take him anywhere, pick him up, etc., but he's still active and doesn't act like a "little" dog at all. He weighs about 12 pounds right now (he's only 6 months old), but he will probably top off at 15 or so. People are always surprised to hear he only weighs 12 pounds because he looks bigger. Poodles are tall and thin, and they have that fluffy hair.

I would suggest that you and your family visit a breeder of standards and a breeder of minis and spend some time with their dogs to see the dynamic. The breeder will be able to tell you more about life with their variety, as well.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I would suggest that you and your family visit a breeder of standards and a breeder of minis and spend some time with their dogs to see the dynamic. The breeder will be able to tell you more about life with their variety, as well.
Welcome! I think this is the best advice, you have to see to know (IMO). I personally grew up with Portuguese Water Dogs (from the age of 8) and have now just got my first dog, a miniature poodle. Both big dogs and smaller dogs have their pros and cons IMO. Also remember there is a big variation in the size of Standards, so if you are concerned 15 inches will be a little too small, you could go for a smaller Standard instead.

If I were you and didn't have a size preference, then I would most likely focus on finding the dog that has the right temperament for you and your family and go from there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Yes, temperament is my #1 priority. I am talking to one breeder that breeds both minis and standards, so she might be my best bet in being able to meet both sizes locally.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Jazz,

Guess there are a bunch of us with kids looking / waiting. My kids are 1 and 3.

I'm going with a Standard, I've had smaller (20 lbs or less) most of my life. Never owned a large dog, but we have all sizes in our lives that we socialize with on a regular basis.

I've met several Standards, in a variety of energy levels, as well as similar sized dogs (Labs).

My impression from breeders is that the Standards tend to be pretty laid-back in the house and more energetic outdoors. Don't know about Minis. The larger dogs we know have similar energy habits. The well-trained larger dogs that have been socialized with kids would never knowingly knock over one of my kids, and they have been pretty patient with my very young toddler. In my personal experience, the smaller dogs are not quite so patient. I'm sure this is partly training and partly personality.

Anyways, I"m personally leaning toward a standard because I want to try large dog ownership and have like the tempraments of most of the larger dogs I meet.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts