Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First of all, let me thank you all--I've been stalking these boards for a few months as a non-member, picking up tips and learning all kinds of invaluable information about poodles. So, a little background on my Bu Dou: A couple of months ago, I got Bu Dou, a 4-5 year old white toy poodle.

The reason we don't know her real age is that her owner didn't really care for her that much, and just bought her to breed her and sell her children. She has spent most of her life locked up in a crate without walks or playtime or any real human interaction. As a result, she is fearful of people, but she's not the kind that growls or bites. Instead she runs away and hides, and gets in a submissive pose if anything big and imposing comes even remotely close to her. At least, that's how she was before; now she's a bit more confident and less like to bolt and hide under the couch or shake in fear if people come up to her.

Bu Dou also seems to likes her owner a lot, so much that the only thing she ever wants to do is lie in his lap and sleep there. Although this was nice at first, her owner is now being driven slowly crazy because all the things that worked with his friends' dogs (toys, training habits, treats, etc.) don't seem to work with her. Also, Bu Dou has a very strange habit--she loves to walk and run in circles when excited. She does this alot, especially when her owner is trying to train her. Although she knows what "sit" means, whenever her owner tells her to sit, she feels like she has to do anywhere from 2 to 10 circles (and maybe a little jumping on her owner's legs) before sitting. The idea of "sitting" was very hard to Bu Dou to learn, given that she is like a switch: either asleep or ready to go run a marathon. Her owner is really confused by her since she exercises far more than his previous dog, a Golden, and still never seems to tire. Her owner was wondering if anyone has had experience dealing with a dog who gets extremely excited whenever he/she is praised or even looked at, so excited that they can't even execute the command they were given, and how they dealt with that.

Thanks for taking the time and reading my post and I hope to talk more with you all in the future

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome from so far away!

I think Bu Dou spins and runs and jumps during training because she is insecure and unsure what to do.

I think you must use a leash when training Bu Dou. Hold the leash close to her so that you can control her movement. It may help to do these exercises against a wall so that Bu Dou can not also spin in place.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum. cbrand gave you some great advice.
My sister resuced a maltese that lived in a crate his entire life
and also did the turning of circles when he was stressed.
I always thought that it was due to the fact that he spent his life
in a small space, just spinning around. A hard habit to break!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good for you for rescuing your poodle. I think the leash idea is probably a good one and it will certainly take time, patience repetition for her to change. Hang in there

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to you and Bu Dou. This is good advice to follow. Hopefully, she will begin to understand what is being asked of her. Nice to have you here. Would love to see a picture of her.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome. You are a wonderful person for rescuing this little poodle. Because of her horrible past she may never react to toys and treats like your friends dogs do. Sometimes those habits are just too ingrained to ever completely go away. But she can still be a love and joy for you and she can still learn some nice manners. Just be very patient and don't give up...it may take some time. And enjoy all that cuddling that she so obviously needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks So Much For The Replies

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice and well-wishing everyone gave already, especially cbrand for his quick response and the advice with keeping the leash close to the body. That really did the trick--she's finally beginning to understand that "sit" means to stop immediately (or at least after one circle). It's amazing how quickly she picked up on it after I started doing that. Thanks again for the advice!

The groomer I took her to shaved her down because of her fur was in pretty bad shape. I can't argue with his decision, but I wish he would have shaved down the fur on her face as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Maybe she wasn't ready for face-shaving yet. If she is not used to being groomed it may take some work before she'll stop struggling. My little George is just starting to submit quietly when the clipper gets near his nose. He still needs work too.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice and well-wishing everyone gave already, especially cbrand for his quick response and the advice with keeping the leash close to the body. That really did the trick--she's finally beginning to understand that "sit" means to stop immediately (or at least after one circle). It's amazing how quickly she picked up on it after I started doing that. Thanks again for the advice!

The groomer I took her to shaved her down because of her fur was in pretty bad shape. I can't argue with his decision, but I wish he would have shaved down the fur on her face as well.

Isn't she sweet! Cbrand is a she and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am glad to hear things are improving. God Bless you for taking in this special little girl. With a lot of love and patience I bet you will continue to see improvement. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Oh she's very cute! I know the spinning twirling thing, Paris will pace in a circle constantly when she's unsure of what else to do too (excitement, nerves or just a new location), it has taken work, but she still needs to be MADE to settle down (ie put into a down-stay) when she's in that sort of mood...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts