Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!:smile:
I'm Tash, I live in the countryside in New Zealand, with my hubby Jared, nearly 11 month old daughter Hollie, a cat, two birds and the nearly 11 month old poodle :)

I'm a stay at home mother, who enjoys aside from the family and animals, reading, writing, scrapbooking, small bird toy making and knitting.

Our poodle is a chocolate mini by the name of Duncan. He was our compromise dog, Jared wanted a teacup/toy, I wanted a great dane. We both love our dog, but have come to some grief on occasion. I waited until I was at home full time before we got the pup, and now we have a pup with seperation anxiety. We are also still having toilet training issues. We didn't use a crate at all and he sleeps on our bed.

On the positive, he's learned to walk beautifully on the leash, he sits, stays and comes on command, he nearly has down sorted, and he's great with children. He won't eat until given permission to do so, he jumps and ducks obstacles and will walk along a plank of wood set up as a bridge.

I'm hoping to get some wonderful advice and ideas from these forums :hug:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hi and welcome.

You have a great dog at 11 months. Doesnt seem like it would be that difficult to house train him....but dogs have a mind of their own:eek:hwell: I dont think it's ever to late to introduce the crate, it helps greatly, IMO.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I can't suggest Cesar Millan enough. From him I've learned that most of the issues that you face with your dog are through fault of your own and allowing behaviors you shouldn't. He has a website and he has books and dvds. He is truly a dog whisperer.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hi hi and welcome.

I'd definitely check out Cesar or Bark Busters (they're great trainers as well).

:)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Welcome Tash from waaay down there :) Duncan is beautiful puppy and he will learn, IMO the crate training is really the answer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you :)
Just to clarify I do not in any way blame my dog for his faults, I know they are inconsistancies in our behaviours moreso, apart from the barking. He has many play and training sessions in a day, the run of inside and out, dog's who visit for a full day twice a week, and an hours daily walk....but then, I talk plenty during a day so why shouldn't he :) We live around many working and farm dogs, when they go off it sets the neighbourhood off!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
He looks like a cute puppy!

What part of NZ are you from?

A couple of others and I are from Dunedin lol

You'll certainly have lots of fun with him!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Welcoem from another kiwi too!!! I second Jak's question for where abouts you are, cos I'm in Dunedin too. heh. If you're anywhere in the area, there will be a heap (10+) of poodles at the big national agility/obedience show this coming weekend, including mine and Jaks! heh.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol Flying duster I love your username! Standard poodles are gorgeous, we briefly looked in to one of them, but decided our lifestyle was better suited to a smaller dog.

I'm in Canterbury :( I'd love to see some poodles in agility, that's what I hope to do with Duncan! I'm a rider without a horse living vicariously through my dog:rolffleyes:

We are trying to find a local club as we live about 45mins from Chch and don't want to be going into town if we can avoid it. I think he may still be too young though? For the time being, we thought we might try and teach him a few of the basics:

http://www.facebook.com/natasha.steven?ref=profile#/video/video.php?v=180141750090

Sorry you may have to copy & paste, I don't know how to make it a link!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
awww, the video is so cute!!! Isn't it FUN to teach them tricks!! heh. Does he have a 'dogbook' page? I've added you as a friend, but Paris has her own 'dog book' page and can have her own friends too! hehehehe!

There are some wonderful poodle groomers in chch, and good training clubs etc too, so you're in a good spot!! Agility is primarily about handling and teaching the dog to go where and how you want, so even though he can't do the full on jumping & weaving etc he can still learn the basics!

I look forward to watching him grow through the forum, and hopefully one day we can catch up! Let me know if you're ever down this way!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is an agility only club in Christchurch that would be great to get involved in, but unfortunately their training is on weekday evenings, and we are too far out of town to make it in. Hopefully their is a district club to though, I emailed the address from the NZKC website but it was void :( I will do that, likewise if you are up for anything!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well failing any other time, i will be up in chch (and staying in Cust) in the first half of next year for a practical workshop prior to my poodle grooming exam! (The exam will be held aug/sept usually, to give the workshop dogs time to grow their coat back out for the exam!!!) And obviously I'll have Paris with me too, so we'll have to catch up then. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Totally random, but I love seeing you all chat about NZ. :) I did a 5 month back packing trip round various countries a couple of years ago and NZ was my favourite place! South Island especially was beautiful, although really there was nowhere I went that I didn't like (straight down the middle of North Island and in a loop around the South).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Speaking of NZ...
I LOVE Flight of the Conchords.

Just sayin. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol it took me a while to get used to the humour of the flight of the concords, I think they are probably bigger overseas!
But yeah, it's a gorgeous country alright :D Kiwis are a lucky bunch.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Lol, Flight of the Concords are great!
But their 2nd season wasn't as good as the last

Yea, I love NZ, Dunedin is pretty good, but the best part of it, is you can go in any direction around you, and end up in a different type of place each time.
Like in Dunedin, go 10 minutes south, and there are a multitude of beaches, and then go 10 minutes inland, and we have Ross Creek (a great walking place) which is native forests etc. and then 2 hours inland and we have central otago, which is the complete opposite of Dunedin, where there a many camping places, lots of hills, and rocks (schist), and there is great temperatures in summer, and really cold in winter.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
:welcome: Your poodle is very cute. I have an almost 5 month old puppy who seems to be going through the Terrible Twos. It's frustrating sometimes because I know he is very smart and learns very quickly, but sometimes he'll just look right at me and pee on the floor. I love him dearly, but he can be a little rascal. I think poodles are almost too smart for their own good. LOL

(LOVE Flight of the Conchords)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts