Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing my beloved miniature poodle mix at the age of 14.5, we brought home a standard poodle puppy at the end of July and have been amused (and exhausted!!) ever since.

This forum has such a wealth of information. I've been so very grateful for it since day 1, when we worried we had an unstable pup on our hands. She's since blossomed into a very normal, very boisterous little (big!) girl, but I continue to check the forum daily for tips, tricks, and comfortingly familiar stories about the ups and downs of puppyhood.

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. Here she is, in all of her leggy Peggy glory! All fluffed and proud after her intro to the groomer's.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Welcome to you and Peggy - what a sweetheart. I love her partipattern.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
:welcome: I've been waiting for you and Peggy to join the forum and I'm so happy that you're here. Peggy is adorable. I enjoyed meeting her and you so very much. You and your husband are going to raise one terrific dog.:angel: I know this because you've told me all that you're doing with her. So conscientious and caring you are. Can't wait to read more about all of your adventures and her development. Way to go! :amen:

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Awww...thanks PeggyTheParti. You are the one being generous. I was a little on the fence myself from how you described her before I met her.

I wrote all about you on a thread when I came to see you and sort of evaluate Peggy. (then Mabel) And I was expecting a fearful or aggressive dog after what you had told me. And low and behold, I was pleasantly surprised at what a very normal, bouncy, outgoing and sweet puppy she was. And we both thought what a mistake that first vet made by being so abrupt and intrusive with her. Also you had mentioned how she growled at other dogs, a child. But looking back, she was so new, recently torn away from her familiar world and it seemed she just needed a little more time than some to adjust to new things. But we weren't 100% sure about her temperament. And look at her now!:amen:

You mentioned you were taking her to puppy socialization classes. And she's doing fine, right? Yay! She really is adorable and I'm so happy things are working out so well. Now I have no doubt she'll grow up to be a well adjusted, well socialized dog who's a joy to live with. She may have shown some marked sensitivity and it wasn't a poor temperament after all. They can't all be the rock of Gibraltar. Poodles are known to be quite sensitive. That was probably all there was to it. You're doing all the right things and she is one lucky pup. I'm really glad you kept her.

Asta's mom, I'm partial to parties too. Both kinds! :pound:

I think it's stupid how AKC or maybe it's the poodle club dis-allows anything but solid colors. After all, I do believe that black and white poodles were the original.

Reactions: Vita

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's just say, at our last class she thought it was GREAT FUN when the trainer waved a black plastic trash bag around WHILE wearing a witch's hat WHILE the sounds of fireworks played over the room's speakers.

One month ago, I'd not have imagined such a thing was possible, but she's so happy and bouncy around her classmates, plays appropriately, and even (bless her heart) eventually settles down by the end of class. She's making us both very proud ?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Let's just say, at our last class she thought it was GREAT FUN when the trainer waved a black plastic trash bag around WHILE wearing a witch's hat WHILE the sounds of fireworks played over the room's speakers.

One month ago, I'd not have imagined such a thing was possible, but she's so happy and bouncy around her classmates, plays appropriately, and even (bless her heart) eventually settles down by the end of class. She's making us both very proud ?
Well my goodness! That does not sound like a weak temperament to me. OMG! What a goof.:silly: No wonder you're proud.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I remember PBG telling us about the puppy. I am so happy that it all worked out. She is very beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the warm welcome!

We just got back from puppy class (currently taking 2 per week) and Peggy is POOPED. Is there anything more wonderful than a sleepy, satisfied puppy?

I had a real ah-ha! moment today, when our trainer helped me see the connection between my over-enthusiastic verbal praise and Peggy getting a) over-excited or b) overwhelmed and just tuning out.

So easy to do the wrong thing with the best intentions!

With Peggy, especially, given our rocky start, I tend to try SO hard to keep things positive that I overdo it or overthink it. She's a sensitive girl and doesn't need to be whacked over the head with praise.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
It's insightful of you to observe your own behavior and the reaction from your dog. So many people are oblivious. It's true...there are dogs that love lots of excitement, dancing, playing super silly when they've done something wonderful and there are those that are more on the sensitive or quiet side in that way and those kind of antics freak them out whereby a more quiet, less vocal reinforcer is much more effective and appreciated. My two poodles are quite different. One loves silly, loud, goofy, pretend rough play and the other, while he doesn't mind it, sort of looks like "huh?"seems to do better with just a quieter, but a little bit high pitched praise. They both seem to like syrupy sweet voice telling them how cool they are. haha. :cool::cool: Sometimes too much talking while training something gets in the way. And quietly going through the paces, rewarding with a treat or other reinforcer but silently works well for many dogs.

Enjoy Peggy and don't worry if you're doing everything perfectly...don't over think. It will get in your way. She'll be great. And you will be too. :cheers2::happy:

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
It’s such a relief to have experienced trainers such as PB and the class instructors’ eyes on your girl, helping and giving you confidence. They are normally bouncy, exuberant, dogs that sense your tension and excitement and absorb that into their moments. My favorite caution from Viking Queen, is “A poodle can sense desperation a mile away.” You really have to up your training chops, or at least I did, to work with my MENSA puppy. Off to a great start with pretty Peggy:)

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts

One month ago, I'd not have imagined such a thing was possible...
What a cool and funny training technique; the trainer should put that on YouTube. :)

Anyway welcome to PF!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts