Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to have found this forum. My 14 year old black standard poodle passed away in August. He was my buddy and workshop dog. We had an incredible bond. We have another standard - a red one who has a great disposition. He has taken the loss very hard.

In two weeks I will be picking up an 8 week old brown standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

We are engaged in the naming debate. Male dog. My choice is Schoggi - a Swiss-German word for chocolate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! Ottawa is such a beautiful city.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your buddy. What was his name? And what's the name of your red poodle?
Thank you Peggy,

His name was Nero. Italian for black, not for the emperor lol. The red poodle is Rockett. My kids named him when I was deployed. My dad's uncle played in the NHL and his name was Rockett. The boys liked the connection.

Cheers

·
Registered
333 Posts
I prefer a puppy to leave Mum at 10 or 12 weeks of age. They are so much better adjusted and easier to housebreak if given that extra time.

If you must bring him home at eight weeks, your Rockett will probably take over the role of wise uncle. In this case, it will be his job to teach the puppy manners. Don't be surprised if it sometimes looks like Rocket is being harsh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome! I can't think of a better name than Schoggi, it is wonderful! I look forward to seeing pictures of Rockett and your brown standard pup! I'm so sorry for your loss of Nero.

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Welcome! Sorry that your pup passed - gave you many years together. Your new Puppy will find a new place in your heart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts