Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a 2 poodle household (at the moment). One corded cream female and one blue boy.
We are very interested in all things poodle !

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Welcome,Ohhh corded I am really wanting to do this to one of my spoos I would be interested in how hard it is to take care of I love the look :biggrin1:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome,Ohhh corded I am really wanting to do this to one of my spoos I would be interested in how hard it is to take care of I love the look :biggrin1:
Cording takes a long time to start, you have to struggle through months (6-12) of your poodle looking like a hot mess, and resist the temptation of brushing them out. One day you actually see the cords, they cord faster where the have the wirey hairs as opposed to the cottony hair. I actually started and then lost faith and quit and then I tried again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes..

Foxxy is from a "breeder" in Oregon and Baldr is from Ormar in Montreal. Baldr is the most amazing boy ever and he is my heart poodle.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
hi there and welcome!

i'm strongly leaning on cording my girl's topknot and tail. i've been reading a lot up on it from moondance & on flickr forum.

i totally understand heart poodle. i have 4 dogs and my temperance is my heart dog. last dog who had my heart so strongly was dylan, my german shepherd, who died 5 years ago.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi there and welcome!

i'm strongly leaning on cording my girl's topknot and tail. i've been reading a lot up on it from moondance & on flickr forum.

i totally understand heart poodle. i have 4 dogs and my temperance is my heart dog. last dog who had my heart so strongly was dylan, my german shepherd, who died 5 years ago.
Kari (moondance) is awesome, I used her instructions when I corded Foxxy. The tail is full of wirey hairs so that is fairly easy. Cording takes a lot of patience, especially if you are impatient (I am) it can be a struggle, but I am glad I struggled through it. If you have any kind of questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
both are gorgeous!

i can see how it would be fairly easy to start the cording (vs matting) process as i see the separations naturally occuring after bathing.

my middle son had dreadlocs from 15-20 so i'm familiar with them on humans. heh. it's like a mass of snarls then suddenly gorgeous thick fatty locs which are so fun to fondle. (we realized that on him we had fav locs ... heh).

i am still pondering this commitment. i've not touched her topknot and plan on letting it grow long and rock and roll ...

anyway, my poor groomer would have to accomodate it and leave head and tail alone, but part of me wants to keep the ears NOT corded or just partially corded! (i guess i should learn to use clippers!)

since she's only 7 (almost 8) mos old. i figure i have plenty of time. it gets fairly hot here and that is another reason if i do cord, i'll just do head and tail.

oh sorry for the threadjack!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyway, my poor groomer would have to accomodate it and leave head and tail alone, but part of me wants to keep the ears NOT corded or just partially corded! (i guess i should learn to use clippers!)

since she's only 7 (almost 8) mos old. i figure i have plenty of time. it gets fairly hot here and that is another reason if i do cord, i'll just do head and tail.

oh sorry for the threadjack!
No worries on the threadjack..
If you cord the ears, I would suggest to leave a strip of cut hair along the edges. I corded Foxxy's ear totally, and I found that part of her ear had ripped in playing, as Baldr likes to grab her cords, so I clippered off about 30 cords along the edges of the ears. Another thing you have to watch with cords and in particular ear cords (as they get into the water bowl) is mildew. I have tried all kinds of water bowls and still can't find one that keeps Foxxy's ear cords from getting wet. It is the fact that they stay moist constantly that will allow mold to grow... I use a vinegar rinse on Foxxy.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
LOLOL! that last shot is GREAT!

oh i love when my dogs play and are so dramatic. makes me laugh!

re: ear cords. the reading i've done said the same. i'm thinking the weight can be a lot too. that's why was thinking partial cording.

how do you dry her? i've got a chamois (synthetic one for cars) now to dry after bathing. i don't blow dry.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome! Your poodles are gorgeous!

Where abouts in NE are you? We're in sourthern Maine, and I believe that are a couple other New ENglanders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts