Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals.

I've grown up around dogs all my life and even in college, had a very loving female Pit Bull runt.

I've been married now for 15 years but alas, my wife has allergies and I've been with canine companion for said 15 years :(

Anyway, I'm quite resolved to have not one but two pupps in the house in the near future, preferably introduced when my girls, age 13 and 15, start their summer break.

I understand poodles breed is one that sheds the least and is one of the easiest breeds for those who suffer allergies - and so, I am here :)

I live in Houston and have a nice sized backyard and plenty of neighborhood to walk them in, along with various parks in my area.

The plan is to have them also as house pets regardless of the brutality of our summers.

I don't particularly require "papers" nor do I wish to breed them. In fact, if I acquire a female, the plan is to spade after the 2nd heat, if not after the 1st - need to really look into what's best here.

Further, I am more inclined to go with a Standard rather than go smaller.

OK, two may be a hard sell on the Mrs., but we'll see.

Alas, I am compelled to admit that I'm more concerned about allergies and how to mitigate them rather than take the poodle route for the sake of a genuine breed love, apologies upfront if I come off if less than altruistic reasons. I suppose I’m more the German Sheppard type or even the Pit Bull type but per the latter, don’t wish to have an animal inside the house (besides myself) capable of, well, you know.

If you think I should go a different breed route, by all means steer me the right track. Of course, that breed should also go easier on the allergies. Please don’t get me wrong however. The foremost quality I’m pressed into is along the allergy front and of course, traits / characteristics are also important. For example I understand that Poodles are a very smart breed and I admit that.

So there you have it – me in a nutshell – and thank you for

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
eek - how can i edit my post and resolve grammer issues!!! :)
Welcome to the forum, flazer! You should be able to edit your posts for a period of time after you submit them (500 minutes is the limit - after that, the posts cannot be edited by the poster)

At the bottom right corner of your posts there should be an edit button that brings up your post in an editable dialog box. Once you are finished, you can click on Edit or Save Changes (I can't remember which - or maybe both! :lol: I haven't done it for a while!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
duh, i see it now... but last night i know that 500 minutes hadn't elapsed prior to my not finding the button ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome flazer! Coming from a family who also has had to choose dogs based on allergies, I hear where you're coming from. The most important thing is to test your wife's allergy out with the breeds you are interested in. There's no such thing as a dog who truly doesn't cause allergies, as people can be allergic to the saliva as well as the hair. I would recommend finding a breeder who does not have any other pets in the home and going and spending some time there. Getting a hair sample is not sufficient.

We have Portuguese Water Dogs, and now I am getting a poodle. My mom was so allergic to our first PWD for 6 months that we almost had to return him to the breeder. Then one day she just got better. She would be best without any dogs in the home, but chooses to always have some allergies than not live with dogs.

Anyways, best of luck! Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hay thanks for responding. hope i don't get in trouble but i'm taking this post to the main forums to get a wider audience perspective.

Also, appreciate your advice on the breeder recommendation!

(btw, probably, i couldn't modify my 1st post because it was my 1st post. I'd like to think I'm computer saavy but then who knows? ;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts