Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to owning a poodle. I bought a miniature chocolate poodle on Nov. 17 and I named Chip. I know, chocolate chip:). He's 6 months old and tends to have psycho puppy moments. He came from a backyard breeder and will have, and already has, a much better life with me. I need some help with the psycho puppy moments. Other than those, he is a cute, lovable, funny puppy and I'm glad we have each other.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome Chip and Chip's mom. I'm sure you'll get lots of help when you request it!
Meanwhile, enjoy him while he's young and goofy. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi chipsmom and chip and welcome to the forum. Could you describe the psycho moments so that we can help you a little better.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome! Can you tell us more about Chip's psycho moments? Maybe we can help.

BTW.. in poodles this color is called Brown. Yep, not very exciting, but that is the official name for the color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

I wasn't looking for a poodle when I got Chip, I was just looking for a small dog/puppy. I found him on Craigslist. I liked his picture and went to see him and liked him, and that's how I ended up with my first poodle and smallest dog I've had in years. I will get pictures of Chip up as soon as I can. I am having trouble figuring things out on here. I guess I'm forum challenged. My biggest problem with Chip is he barks and snaps at my husband, and barks at anyone in general. Inside and out, he's not picky. He has always been nice and lovable to me and really misses me if he can't find me. Anyway, I'm glad I have him, quirks and all.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
This is not silly puppy stuff, this is very serious behavior in a 6 month old puppy.

Do you think Chip is scared when he is barking or is he being more of a bully?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chip

I know this isn't silly puppy stuff. He is getting better. I called a dog trainer who told me to have my husband ignore Chip. This has helped and for the most part, he is now lovable and friendly towards my husband. He still growls and barks, but not as often. He will also sit and play with Tim and be very lovable. We thinks it's more bossy than scared. The woman I got him from ran a day care out of her home and we think the poor dog got picked on by kids all the time. The husband had a pit bull and I was told they got along. Chip soes well with our other dog and he really would be happy if the cat played with him. We are making progress and I think his bad behavior is more of a defense mechanism he neede at his old home. He is also really grouchy when he is tired, so I just put him in his crate for a nap.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I know this isn't silly puppy stuff. He is getting better. I called a dog trainer who told me to have my husband ignore Chip. This has helped and for the most part, he is now lovable and friendly towards my husband. He still growls and barks, but not as often. He will also sit and play with Tim and be very lovable. We thinks it's more bossy than scared. The woman I got him from ran a day care out of her home and we think the poor dog got picked on by kids all the time. The husband had a pit bull and I was told they got along. Chip soes well with our other dog and he really would be happy if the cat played with him. We are making progress and I think his bad behavior is more of a defense mechanism he neede at his old home. He is also really grouchy when he is tired, so I just put him in his crate for a nap.
I am sure cbrand has a lot of good info to offer for training but in the mean time I can give you my experience as well and suggestions.

Some of it sounds to me like the small dog syndrome and to be honest it can be pretty serious, although it seems cute and manageable now it will wear itself out quick and then you might see how out of control it might be.

Small dogs can demand and be more territorial than even big dogs thus the barking and growling as well as being a grump when tired. I have 2 small dogs and Aoki was very much like this and still can act this way but you have to get a hold of it quick!!

We do not allow the growling we immediately stop her by bumping her side or placing our hand on her snout and she would go back at it and we continue until she stopped and would walk away from it, same with the over barking, chest out kind of thing.:eek:hwell: Nope get this quick because it will get even worse, and your pup is 6 months old now so you have to think like this is a younger pup and start over.:)

Your husband will need to help being firm as well. I agree with moving or ignoring jumping up, but not the rest. I am glad you have chip too and its a great name for a brown poodle!! But to get the best out of each other work on this training with him - some tips go to Youtube and pull some free videos and see how the techniques are done. Also google training tips for " and this may link you to some videos - it's what I did and a book BUT when you see the progress it kind of comes together better - Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chip

I do stop him from barking and growling and he it's getting much better. I thought it might be small dog syndrome. I figured he'd have to unlearn all the old behavior. I am working on obedience training, which he didn't have. He was also the runt of the litter and was probably babied by his old people. Tim says now, at times, Chip is just a lovable pest. Chip does seem to catch on fairly quick, but he does have a stubborn streak. I know clickers are suppose to be used for positive training, but Chip and Jake are afraid of the click so I use it to stop bad behavior. I will look on you tube. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts