Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my new Standard last night and I am so excited. She is 5 months old and is just a sweetheart. She is my 1st poodle (I also have a lab and mini schnauzer), but my roommate has a male Spoo.

I was supposedly getting this little girl from a "breeder", but as nice as the people were, they should not be breeding Poodles. They did do genetic testing on the parents and get the puppy (still unnamed) all of her puppy shots, but that's about it. She was an outside only dog, and really has no clue on how to behave. She is very calm, but she completely shell-shocked by everything that goes on around her. She has no idea how to have fun and play, or even what a treat is. My heart broke for this little girl when I met her last night, so I just gave the lady her money, and brought the puppy home.

She really is a good dog. I can touch her anywhere, and she doesn't care (I'm a groomer, so it's important for me to be able to handle her).

She is just going to need a lot of love, socialization, and patience.

Any suggestions on how to break her from her shell would be much appreciated.

I forgot to add that she has no training whatsoever and has a bad haircut which I will be fixing asap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello Cali, and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get alot of good advice from the posters here. Many years ago, I had a very shy puppy. I took her everywhere with me and just really ignored her fear. Eventually she was bomb proof. I take Gracie everywhere I go, weather depending of course. We call our SUV's her condo on wheels! She is lucky to have you....I am sure you will figure it all out with time.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

Start fresh is my suggestion as if he was 8-10 weeks. It sound like you have the perfect styeps lined up. Thank goodness for you!!:)

Pups will go thru the shy phase. I would just cuddle and show affection like you are and slowly introduce her to all the fun stuff you have to offer.

Maybe even take it slow with her new siblings as well as they are excited too I am sure. But because she was so alone it sounds like, too much too quick from the other may be overwhelming.

I am sure the follow up will be positive.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I recommend tethering. It will help with the bonding process. Also, the Nothing In Life is Free philosophy is most often used with a dominant dog, but I think it could help a shy and under socialized poodle feel secure within some firm boundaries.

Both tethering and NILIF can be looked up on the Internet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Vivien starts a puppy training class tomorrow night so that I can socialize her. I've been doing the NILIF training with her (that's how my other's are trained as well), but she is unresponsive to most things; she just doesn't know what to do. I am working on showing her though and I know she'll get it. Every once in awhile I can get her to respond to my voice . She still won't eat or take treats. She really wants love, but she's so timid that she will spend 10 minutes creeping over to me.
She is a really sweet and gentle dog though. I just finished giving her clean feet (her 1st time), and she laid there the whole time ::D

She does have infected eyes and ears and has never had her ear hair plucked :doh:. I'm also pretty sure that she has worms. I haven't seen any, but her back and hipbones are boney, but she has a potbelly. We'll get that all taken care of at the vet tomorrow though.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum - this place is a wealth of information! I hope that you can get everything settled and taken care of so that she can begin to come out of her shell. When I was younger, we had a greyhound how was painfully shy, and she worked out of it by taking her places and giving her every opportunity to be social and meet new people/dogs/see new things. From 6 months until the day she died, she was the most social, well-behaved dog who never met a stranger. Poor girl, I hope she can get out of her shyness!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts