Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're a family of three dogs (one Bichon Frise, one Tibetan Terrier, one GSD) two cats (2 Maine Coon) a chinchilla, a 13-y.o. daughter at home and me (SAHM) and my husband. So why am I at a poodle forum? Just before we left our home in NY to move to Montgomery our very beloved red standard poodle died. He was a true gentleman, bred by Ilse Konig of Shangra-La.

I thought we would wait to one day get another poodle (when we had fewer pets in the house) but find I am still (1 1/2 years) missing him EVERY day.

So, here we are considering adding one more pet. Preferably a big, red female, bred to the show standard but pet quality (spayed).

I have a lead on a six-month-old female. Just not 100% sure the other dogs will still think it's a puppy and give it some leeway. (The GSD is kept separate from other dogs so she's not a factor.) Or, we could wait until we find the right puppy at 8 - 11 weeks old. Any advice?

Many thanks and glad to be here.
Sandy-Lynn

·
Registered
339 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I know what you mean...I would be so lost without Chloe. I hope the 6 month old works out for you.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not able to really say..6 months or 8 weeks for you. For me I like to start with 8 week old puppy but we did get a dobe that was 6 months old when we got her and she has always been a joy. Think you should wait for the one that you feel even from a picture, that I can't live without that one. I felt it for my recent two puppies in an instant..and so far havent been sorry but have only had one a month and one two weeks lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, Sandy-Lynn. I have no advice about whether a 6 month old will be recognized as a puppy still by your other dogs, but I hope that whatever you decide, it all works out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the welcoming messages

Well, after sleeping on it we decided not to take a chance on the six month old not being accepted, but also didn't want to miss the precious puppy months. Soooooooo, I'm happy to announce that I am the proud human mother of a female poodle puppy from Lucky Poodle to come home sometime in May! Lucky me!:whoo:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwwww CONGRATS and welcome. You're not very far from me. I'm in extreme north florida, only about 3ish hours from montgomery. I'm going up there I think next month for the dog show :)

This awsome photographer is going to be there so it's definitly worth the trip to pack up my two standards to take them with us so they can have their pictures made. I can't wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dog show?

I guess I should know this, but what dog show and when? I love to go to dog shows even though I've never competed in them (aside from 4H stuff my older daughter used to do).
Sandy Lynn

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
April 24 - 16 at the Garrett Coliseum Grounds and Ed Teague Arena
155 Federal Drive Montgomery, AL.

Aside from the all breed show I believe that they are also having obdience, at least it says on their website that they are on friday.

Here is the website addy http://www.montgomerykennelclub.org/home
It's a fairly large club I think, I used to know several memebers but they are now not "in dogs" anymore so are no longer involved with the sport.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks!

Thanks for the link. I hope to be there to observe. It sounds as if you are not showing, but coming to get your spoos photographed????
Sandy Lynn

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I will likely be showing,(tibetan spaniels), but I don't show poodles sooo they will be there stricly for photographing. You're really not supposed to bring unentered dogs onto the show site, buuuttttt I'd risk life and limb for photos from this lady of my poodles. I've already got several FANTASTIC photos of all my other dogs so now that I have the poo's I will get them done to. I'll just have to make sure to run back to the hotel and collect them late in the day, after I've finished showing tibbies, for their photos so they won't be on the grounds any longer than they have to be. Tons of people completely ignore that rule but what can I say... I'm a rules type of person I like to have rules and I generaly like to follow most of them :)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new puppy - I knew Ilse - where in Ny were you from? Do you have pix of your red boy? I am sure you miss him terribly - I have a red female.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts