Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I don't have a poodle yet, trying to decide between a mini and a toy. I used to have 2 Bichons, but not in a long while. I showed them and finished my boy, but think the poodle I get will only be in the obedience ring : )

I live in SoCal, but am currently in Maryland on business with my husband.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Lisa,
Welcome! I do not currently own a poodle, either! I had a mini brown as a child, and I have decided I would like another mini. I have to say, the toys seem much easier to find! Good luck with your search! Please post pics when you get your new fur-baby!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Welcome! I was in your position last summer, trying to decide between a toy and mini. I went with a mini in the end but am sure I would have been happy either way! I hope this forum helps you in your decision in the same way it helped me make mine.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi!

My friend has three black toys (retired show dogs) and I just loved them. Such wonderful dogs. But my husband and I would like to have children soon and I just thought a toy would be too fragile.

I hadn't spent anytime around minis so I sought them out at dogs shows and thought they were the perfect size for us. They are small enough to carry, but not as fragile as the toys.

I really had to see the minis in person and hold them to get a better idea of their true size. The photos of show dogs looked so big to me, but it was really just a lot of hair, LOL!

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a toy or mini.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnaks to everyone!

I want to thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. I love the posted pics, the dogs are just too adorable!!

Skye, make sure you post a pic when you get your new poodle! You will probably be much before me-I am traveling much too much right now to consider a puppy right now, but I am sure starting to prepare (no wonder my husband says I am a bit obsessed LOL). I think it's important to learn as much as possible before adding a puppy to our family, and I am really enjoying pouring over all the info.

Paddle, I agree that it would be a great idea too see both minis and toys befor making a decision. I hope to go to a dog show in the near future, that would help.

I am leaning towards the mini, but again, I want to be as sure as I can be.

I am curious if anyone has found housebreaking a toy any more difficult than housebreaking a mini. My only experience is with bichons, which are the worst when it comes to housebreaking (but I loved them anyway!)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Welcome to the group! I'm also waiting for my first Poodle. I'm on a waiting list w/ a Standard Poodle breeder and will hopefully have my new puppy by the fall.

I love your username. I knit when I have time and I'm hoping to knit something w/ Poodle hair once I have mine. Check out this thread; http://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/6957-chiengora-dog-wool.html, as a fellow knitter you should find it interesting!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i was debating between the toy and the mini too but i ended up getting a mini, with a very similar reason with paddleaddict. but my mini boy is growing so fast that there are times i wish i had got a toy, so that i could easily carry him around or take him with me on the plane (not that i am going to fly with him a lot though). don't get me wrong; i love my boy and i love him more and more. i think one should really consider one's lifestyle when deciding between the toy and the mini.

welcome to the forum and good luck with finding your poodle puppy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info!

Harley,

Great link, thanks! When I had my Bichons, I read a bit on Chiengora, now you have sparked my interest again! I do love to knit, don't seem to have as much time to do it as before, but I need to make the time. Actually, a few years ago I started looking into learning to spin. I have been reading alot, and have acquired 2 spinning wheels. I would like to take classes-and now I sure will think about adding poodle hair when I learn more about the process of spinning.

Schanuserpoodle-you also gave me something to think about regarding size. So many things to think about, but it is a big decision and I want to make the best choice for my family as well as the new puppy :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
These are some moments that I wish I had got a toy instead of a mini, who came back as 5 lbs, currently 9 lbs and will get to 18 lbs:

- Purse on my shoulder + One bag of grocery with eggs inside + trying to scoop my mini up on the car
- Running in the rain from the car to the vet's + Mini in my arms (before getting all the puppy shots or before leash-trained) + poop bag in another hand + (yes, no hand for umbrella)
- Time to buy another crate because he has outgrown the one he flew in from the breeder
- Deciding what size of harness, soft carrier, etc - mini puppy v.s. full grown are always in between sizes
- Planning to fly to visit my mother-in-law and now we might have to drive or send him to boarding and I don't like that idea very much

But it felt so so so good to see him play with my friend's kids (one is 3 and the other one is 7) and other bigger dogs (less than 25-30 lbs) knowing that he's not too fragile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alot to think about

all very valid points-this decision is harder than I thought!

At least I know I want a poodle :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
But it felt so so so good to see him play with my friend's kids (one is 3 and the other one is 7) and other bigger dogs (less than 25-30 lbs) knowing that he's not too fragile.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason I am looking at minis. My kids are 2 and 5, but I probably will not get a pup till next year. It just seems like a good size for young kids, to keep the dog safe and the kids from being knocked over!:wacko:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts