Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

I just joined this forum and I'd like to introduce myself! I'm Joanne, and I live in Houston, Texas. 3 months ago I adopted Benny, a parti-colored miniature poodle, from a shelter here in town.

Benny has adapted so nicely to his new home, and every day I'm amazed at how full of love I am for him. My heart feels like it's going to burst sometimes.

At first Benny was very skittish, which is understandable. He was very frightened of my husband, and actually he was afraid of most men that he would come across during our neighborhood walks. But with time and patience, Benny and my husband have completely bonded and they have so much fun playing together. Benny has really come a long way. He's much more relaxed, and I see to it that he gets 3 to 4 walks every day, lots of play time, and ample cuddle time. He's like a new dog.

For the first 6 weeks, I crated him until he learned the house rules. Then I was able to gradually give him more freedom and run of the house for short periods of time when I left, and gradually I extended the time to about 8 hours. Now he sleeps on our bed at night, and during the day he's totally uncrated, with a blanket and pillow set up on the sofa for him. I have a neighbor lady come by while I'm at work every day and spend an hour with him, giving him a walk and some treats.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I was able to adopt a rescue dog. The rewarding feeling I get of taking in a dog that had been destined for death absolutely thrills me. This intelligent, affectionate, playful dog is everything I could have asked for and more.

Best wishes to you and your much-loved pets!

Joanne

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts