Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This forum has been so helpful in the months I have been researching our decision to add a poodle to our family.

My husband and I have talked for years about getting a standard poodle, but with medical school, residency, a small starter home, and human babies, the time was not right. Now we are out of the baby phase and settled in a dog-friendly home, so we are starting to look in earnest.

I grew up with dogs and had 1 rescue dog as an adult, but this will be my first time raising a puppy as "the mom," so I know it is a different ballgame! I'm going into this with lots of enthusiasm, but also a healthy dose of humility and looking before I leap!

About us: We are an active family and love camping, hiking, and running (when it isn't a million degrees). We have a 1 acre fenced back yard with a swimming pool, and our suburb north of Houston is very dog-friendly. I am a work-from-home editor and my husband is a physician. We have 4 kids from 3-12 years old and they are pretty easy-going. A dog in our family will have pretty constant companionship, and when we do have to be away, my parents have 8 acres nearby and they can't wait to spoil our pup as they do our children. ?

Naturally, a healthy pup with a great temperament is what we are really looking for, but I must say...mismarks and partis really make my heart go pitter-pat. ? (I met a gorgeous red and cream SPoo earlier this summer, and I can't get her out of my mind!) I know that many of the best breeders stick to solid coat colors for show purposes. If anyone has any advice about reputable breeders working with abstracts/partis, I'd love to hear. ??

I am very appreciative of the expertise on this forum. The misinformation out there is hard to sift through without the guidance of "insiders." So, thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Welcome - I, too, love the partis. Sorry I can't help you with finding a good breeder - but hopefully someone on the forum may point you in the right direction. My Asta is out of a parti mother and is a black - tho some say he is a mismark as he has a white spot underneath one of his feet and a wee bit on his chin. No partis in the litter but I fell in love with the little guy - he was a very confident puppy and has grown into a beautiful dog who is so much help to me.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
look up jacknic. she used to post here, but even if not active here, she is still breeding single color and partis and has a website. google jacknic poodles.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm afraid that all the poodle breeders I know in the Houston area (and there are quite a few of them) breed to the standard, i.e. solid colors. Perhaps someone else on this forum knows a breeder of parti-colors.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Glad you have decided to stop lurking and hope you will continue to 'join in'!
Ask any questions you need an answer for, cuz here there is no such thing as a dumb question LOL!
As far as recommending a breeder...there is a Face Book group called 'Litters From Health Tested Poodles' All breeders who post a litter there must health test and show proof of it so it's a good place to start your search! Good Luck!

P.S. Also try 'Poodles Online.com'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi from a

Thank you all! I have been intimidated about jumping in, so I appreciate the friendly welcome. ?

Quossum, that is so helpful, thanks! I am very happy to travel for the right pup. The deeper I've gotten into this process, the more concerned I am about making the right decisions. Definitely a case of "the more you know, the more you know you don't know."

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you're anywhere near Spring, that's where our almost weekly Agility shows are held, if you'd like to come as a spectator some time. Shoot me a private message for more information if you like!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're anywhere near Spring, that's where our almost weekly Agility shows are held, if you'd like to come as a spectator some time. Shoot me a private message for more information if you like!
Oh, I'm in the Woodlands, so that would be fantastic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts