Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a fairly long time lurker who is finally joining and trying to jump into the world of poodles.

I am a college student in Alabama from the Houston TX area, I am wanting to get a standard poodle in the next 6 or so months.

So far I have contacted Anutta, Shyre, and Bar-None. I have only talked to Anutta who has been amazingly helpful and gave me the contact info for Shyre since she believed that they might have puppies before they could. Bar-None also had previously been recommended by Anutta before her move to Alabama.

I contacted Shyre through their website contact form and that was about 2 weeks ago with nothing to hear back. Does she typically take a while or should I move on and attempt to find a different breeder?

Bar-None I messaged on Facebook a few days ago and saw that she "read" it but did not receive a response.

Just a little confused on what to do at this point, is it even possible for a better/reputable breeder to sell to a college student? I am stable and in an apartment and have ample time to commit to the pup and have contacted a local club about agility and obedience classes and will be doing that with my puppy.

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
Does your apartment have fenced yards or a fenced dog run only for residents? Some breeders have particularly strong feelings about those issues.

Have you fully thought through if you can afford a standard poodle? And not just monetarily but in time...I knew from when I was in college that someday I would have a black standard poodle girl to show in obedience, but I also knew that I had barely any money for taking care of anything other than myself and a couple of guinea pigs, and through college and graduate school time was even less abundant. When I first started teaching as the lowest of low seniority folks I could never be sure I would be able to do justice to the needs of a dog. I waited about 25 years for everything to fall into place for Lily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your apartment have fenced yards or a fenced dog run only for residents? Some breeders have particularly strong feelings about those issues.
Thanks for the response!
My apartment has 2 different fenced in dog parks and a separate long "dog run". I definitely understand why breeders would have strong feelings on this, the puppies need safe/controlled spaces to play and exercise.

On affording, I am aware of the high cost/time cost and am prepared for that. Monetarily isn't really an issue for me and time shouldn't be either. While I am active in clubs on campus I have plenty of time that I am at home. I already go on multiple walks a day so adding in the time for that isn't much of an issue.

It could just not be the time for this to work out and if so then that will be alright. I understand that the breeders have high standards for their puppies and only want them going in to the best situations!

·
Registered
933 Posts
It may take a little time to find the dog that you’re meant to have but, don’t give up if this is in your heart. Breeders may also ask for a vet and grooming reference. I had to find someone who would allow me to use their name for grooming, even though they didn’t know me before hand. I’m now doing all of the grooming myself.

I’ve known several university students in my local training club. One law student admitted that her dog was her only activity outside of studying and, he turned into an accomplished obedience/rally dog. He was her de-stressing activity. She’s now a lawyer and teaches the occasional obedience class. We also have many vet med students in the club who contribute a lot to the knowledge base.

BTW, Anutta was on my short list of breeders. I would trust her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may take a little time to find the dog that you’re meant to have but, don’t give up if this is in your heart. Breeders may also ask for a vet and grooming reference. I had to find someone who would allow me to use their name for grooming, even though they didn’t know me before hand. I’m now doing all of the grooming myself.

I’ve known several university students in my local training club. One law student admitted that her dog was her only activity outside of studying and, he turned into an accomplished obedience/rally dog. He was her de-stressing activity. She’s now a lawyer and teaches the occasional obedience class. We also have many vet med students in the club who contribute a lot to the knowledge base.

BTW, Anutta was on my short list of breeders. I would trust her.
Thanks for the response. I do think it will take a while, and ultimately I might just put a deposit down for one of Anuttas Standard litters for next fall. She has been very helpful and kind in our discussions and is very local to me so that is a plus.

I was planning on learning to groom myself after the first year, but I do need to find one that would be willing to let me use as a reference. Thank you for reminding me on that, I will reach out to a few.

Nice to hear about other students being in training clubs! Awesome that they found something that both them and the dog enjoyed.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello!

I am a fairly long time lurker who is finally joining and trying to jump into the world of poodles.

I am a college student in Alabama from the Houston TX area, I am wanting to get a standard poodle in the next 6 or so months.

Hi there! I can't help but notice your username - are you... headed to a certain business school in Cambridge, MA in the near future? :)

I actually went through business school myself with a dog and a cat (a certain school in Palo Alto :)), and I found them to be a great change of pace from school life. I had plenty of time to devote to them - made me actively work to achieve a balance in life rather than being consumed by the FOMO that tends to overwhelm students. Good luck to you in your search - I'm sure you'll find the perfect pup!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
Well then I guess the finances of being a student have changed since I was in school (apparently in the dark ages). ;)

I wish you success and hope that finding a great pup doesn't leave you waiting as long as I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello!

Hi there! I can't help but notice your username - are you... headed to a certain business school in Cambridge, MA in the near future?

I actually went through business school myself with a dog and a cat (a certain school in Palo Alto
), and I found them to be a great change of pace from school life. I had plenty of time to devote to them - made me actively work to achieve a balance in life rather than being consumed by the FOMO that tends to overwhelm students. Good luck to you in your search - I'm sure you'll find the perfect pup!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response! My user name is just based on my name, though going to HBS or a school in that tier is definitely a goal of mine. That is still 5+ years away, got to finish undergrad first!

It is great to hear that you were able to find time and happiness for those animals while going through a difficult program.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then I guess the finances of being a student have changed since I was in school (apparently in the dark ages). ;)

I wish you success and hope that finding a great pup doesn't leave you waiting as long as I did.
I am fortunate to have a fair amount of savings in addition to a great internship that is ongoing. I have very little schooling costs outside of the course fees which does make the financial equation of affording school to be a lot lower than some of my peers! I'm very thankful for all the opportunities that I've been given to help me get here, it unfortunately is not the norm for most.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome, OP! It sounds like you've already made up your mind to get a poodle and if you can afford it at your young age, consider yourself very blessed.

I was like Catherine. There is no way I could have had a dog in college, even though I was more a nerdy stay-at-home type than go out and party type. Still, I wanted to go out and do fun things and date. Wouldn't have been fair to a dog.

Also, there is no way I could have afforded a dog. Maizie cost me $12K in her first puppy year, not including her purchase price of $3K. My three dogs run $12K/year currently. So, if I only had one dog and he or she wasn't as expensive as Maizie in her puppy year, it would be $4K/year.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Hello from a fellow in Alabama. I just had cats when I was in college. An active standard would have taken too much time from my studies, but applaud you if you have a plan. Standards (and all poodles) are wonderful dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Do get pet insurance on your puppy. It’s very affordable when they are young with no pre-existing issues. I’m belt and suspenders, and bought insurance after reading about a $3K fracture, you need to build up a dedicated health savings account, $5K-$10K. I hope your puppy sails though with no medical emergencies:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts