Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone~~

My Name is Jennifer, I have just got my first toy poodle for 2 month now~His name is Pudding, he is currently a happy 4 month old baby~~

I've been learning a lot from this great place!! + I love everyone's pictures of their Poodles!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome!

My advice... don't baby this dog. People ruin their Toy Poodles by treating them like they are living stuffed animals. Treat him the same way you would treat a big dog with all the same expectations for behavior.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum and would love see pictures of your little pudding. He sounds adorable.

I think differently than cbrand or perhaps would express it differently. I think toys are absolutely meant to be spoiled and babied with lots of love and affection, just like any other dog. I also think they need to learn obedience and to socialize properly, so they don't become little brats.

This could be said for any size dog. I have seen a LOT of owners with big dogs that IMO don't socialize their dogs properly and as a result their behavior is totally unacceptable. Taking liberties to sniff, jump, and run down anything they see.

This is one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum. There are a lot of ideas and information to help you decide how you want to be the best leader for your companion(s).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Couldn't agree more about the big dogs! It is plain dangerous to have an untrained big dog.

And this is not about not liking Toy Poodles.... Toys are smart, athletic and capable dogs. They can be a joy to own!

However, an owner will positively ruin a Toy by spoiling and babying it. Spoiling and babying a dog is not love. You will do yourself the biggest favor ever (and all your friends and family) if you treat your new Toy Poodle like a regular dog.

I say this because a woman recently came to me for help with her 3 yr old Toy poodle. The little beast was a tyrant. He launched himself aggressively at any dog he saw on walks. He ran around the house barking and doing as he pleased and he had graduated to biting guests in his owner's home. His owner loved him to death, but she molly-coddled him and fussed over him constantly. She was afraid she would hurt him or that he would be angry with her if she corrected him. She was the route of his problems.

We put a pinch collar on him and in 45 minutes of training, we had a new dog. He came when he was called, walked nicely on a leash, sat quietly and didn't give passing dogs a second thought because he was now focused on his owner and what she wanted him to do.

At home she tethered him or he dragged a leash. She implemented the "Nothing in Life is Free" training system. She stopped letting him on furniture. She got great results! It turned out that he craved structure and he wanted an owner who would be a good leader. He is now on his way to being a stellar pet.

So... my advice... for what it is worth:

Don't carry this dog around constantly. Make it walk on its own 4 feet.
Limit access to furniture. (confuses status)
Teach all the same obedience commands you would to a large dog.
Socialize it well with people and other dogs. (don't always scoop it up)
Don't be afraid to correct your dog.

Good luck... owning a poodle is fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here he is!!!!
I do spoil him I think...but I don't carry him around~~ he now knows a few commands like sit, lay down, hand hand, and he knows how to play throw and catch~~

does anyone know how to calm them down when you need them to? I tried...and he just wont listen...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just remember to not telling him off for getting excited as when you play with him and get excited and then tell him off, he is told off for something he was getting rewarded for doing before.
Also remember you always be calm, and there should be no need to tell him off as he is just a puppy and does not know between right or wrong. So by telling him off for doing something that is wrong by your standards, he will think you are just 'being mean' and will have no idea whats going on, and will make a negative association with it.

Basically, teach good behaviour through play and fun stuff.
Get rid of bad behaviour by ignoring, so he will quickly learn that by ie. biting you, getting way too excited equals getting ignored.

Also, if you ever have to tell him off, by going ahh ahh etc. dont then patt him as it is contradictory.

So best punishment is to ignore him.

BTW he looks very cute

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Explain what you mean? What is he doing? When is he doing it?
He usually jumps around when he is trying to reach something or want to be hugged, but I heard people saying that jumping too much when they are young might cause some knee problems when they gets older, so I'm afraid of that so I'm teaching him not to, but he won't stop...

Plus he love biting people's pants when you are walking....he'll follow you and try to grab them.... and because I don't want to drag him around like that so I'm trying to teach him not to, but it seems like he think it's fun...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
He usually jumps around when he is trying to reach something or want to be hugged, but I heard people saying that jumping too much when they are young might cause some knee problems when they gets older, so I'm afraid of that so I'm teaching him not to, but he won't stop...

Plus he love biting people's pants when you are walking....he'll follow you and try to grab them.... and because I don't want to drag him around like that so I'm trying to teach him not to, but it seems like he think it's fun...
Have you tried not only ignoring this behavior, but actually ignoring him all together? Once he's calmed down, then give affection. Don't ever give affection, or like you said "hugs" when he's in a hyper state, wait til he's calm. Just completely ignore him when he's being a maniac and wait til is relaxed. It will show him that calm behavior gets rewarded. Easier said then done? I know, but worth a try! Good luck! :clover:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Good advice above,

I follow Jan Fennell's advice from 'The Dog Listener'

The key to any problem I find is pecking order issues.

The way she teaches dogs this is by what she calls "Amichien Bonding'

The way it works is that when you come home (whenever) you must ignore the dogs, NO MATTER WHAT! Not a hello, or stop it! etc. basically no verbal or eye contact. The only thing you are allowed to do is 'gently' push the dogs chest down if it is getting too much.

Basically, ignore the dog until it calms down, and goes off to chew a bone or lie down etc.

Wait for five minutes once the calming down is happening, and then call your dog to you, making sure you have a treat.

If the dog gets excited and boisterous again, repeat the process.

Basically, you are teaching the dog that it will only get attention on your terms and conditions, therefore making you the leader.

This applies for when you leave and enter rooms, but doesn't have to be a 'religious' as above.

Also, if you can, try and get visitors to do this, even kids, as it will help with jumping up on them etc.

If you want, try it out.

It definitely worked for me, and many people I know.

If you want a more comprehensive description, get the book, it provides priceless information and many great examples and reasoning behind it.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried not only ignoring this behavior, but actually ignoring him all together? Once he's calmed down, then give affection. Don't ever give affection, or like you said "hugs" when he's in a hyper state, wait til he's calm. Just completely ignore him when he's being a maniac and wait til is relaxed. It will show him that calm behavior gets rewarded. Easier said then done? I know, but worth a try! Good luck! :clover:
Oh! Oh! Now I got it!!! I'll try that from now on~(the only thing I'm afraid of is when he looks at me with his innocent eyes...)~Thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts