Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a waiting list for a Multi-Colored Spoo that will hopefully be born this month, and coming home in late April or early May. I'm also on the fun rollercoaster of "Puppy, puppy, puppy!! I'm getting a PUPPY!!!!" to "What the bleep am I doing, getting a puppy?!" to "Oh, man, she's probably going to find a reason to not sell me a puppy after all..." to "OMG, I've never paid this much for a dog in my life! And that was just the deposit!" to "Puppy, puppy, puppy!!!!" to half a dozen other "What if...." scenarios. Frequently all within five minutes of each other. :ROFLMAO:

The current members of TeamHellhound are Leo, my nine year old GSD bitch, and Lily, my nearly seven year old APBT bitch.

2020-11-1 downtown with the dogs 125921 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

This puppy will be my first ever dog from a breeder. Everyone else has been kind of an accident. For example, I went to the laundromat with dirty clothes, and came home with clean clothes and the half dead GSD puppy that had been wandering the parking lot. Of asking my next door neighbors what they were going to do with their APBT puppy when they moved... he said I could take her, so I did. The "original" hellhound was found after being dumped at a cemetery, and the dog before that was fished out of a storm sewer minutes before nearly an inch of rain got humped on us in less than an hour. You get the idea....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Team Hellhound actually sounds quite heavenly! Welcome!

What made you decide to add a purebred spoo to the mix?
I've actually loved SPoos for years, but like I said, I kept winding up accidently getting other dogs, instead. This year I decided I was going to get one, darn it! I lucked out and found a breeder within a reasonable distance that had two breedings planned, and didn't already have a huge waitlist. I've got my fingers crossed for a silver phantom. Whatever color I wind up with, I know it will be a male, since I think that will be a better fit than another bitch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. Your pattern of acquiring dogs sounds similar to the way I ended up with 4 cats simultaneously.
Ha ha... my current cats are 14 year old See-See, caught in the vision center of the Walmart where I used to work; 10 year old T-Max, picked up as a baby from an abandoned house while walking Lucky and Ilka; 10 year old Bigfoot, adopted from a previous neighbor after fostering all four kittens and having the mama cat spayed for her; and 11 month old Lana, who I finally tracked down after hearing her scream her head off for hours one day. Everyone else had similar stories.

Ilka was the one from the cemetery, and Lucky was the storm sewer puppy. They are both long gone now.

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
Welcome! Can I suggest you get a male? Just trying to balance the breeds and genders. I’ve only had males and they have always deferred to females. No established dogs are keen on a newby.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome! Can I suggest you get a male? Just trying to balance the breeds and genders. I’ve only had males and they have always deferred to females. No established dogs are keen on a newby.
Yes, I'm already planning on getting a male. I've done three bitches before, having already had Leo and an older bitch named Ilka when I adopted Lily. Ilka was... well, "extremely selective" is the politest way of putting it, about other dogs, and we wound up doing crate and rotate with two loose and one put up for a couple of years, until I lost her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the registered name, it kind of depends on whether or not the breeder has a theme for the litter he's from, but I'm hoping for "Kennel Name Renegade Knight". I've not decided on a call name yet, although I've got a couple in mind. I find that eventually I open my mouth and the right name comes out. I had one poor cat who got called "Black Cat" for nearly a moth before "Damascus" came out, and he looked at me like "Well, it took you long enough!".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got to "meet" my puppy today, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, namely the internet and Instagram video chat. The bitch had 11 puppies, with one phantom boy, one sable boy, and three blue/silver boys. The pups will be five weeks old on Tuesday, and the breeder is pretty sure the phantom will be my puppy. The current next best fit for our family is a blue/silver boy, but barring something drastic to change her mind, Mr. Phantom will be coming home in mid-May, when he's 10 weeks old.

I'm beside myself, I'm so excited.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
483 Posts
I got to "meet" my puppy today, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, namely the internet and Instagram video chat. The bitch had 11 puppies, with one phantom boy, one sable boy, and three blue/silver boys. The pups will be five weeks old on Tuesday, and the breeder is pretty sure the phantom will be my puppy. The current next best fit for our family is a blue/silver boy, but barring something drastic to change her mind, Mr. Phantom will be coming home in mid-May, when he's 10 weeks old.

I'm beside myself, I'm so excited.
Very exciting! Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very exciting! Do you have any pictures?
I've not got any myself, but the breeder has a few on their Instagram account, and they are all gorgeous. She already thought she was a bit nuts for deciding to have two litters at the same time (they are about a week apart), but didn't expect it to be quite as hectic as it's turned out to be. What started with the bitch whelping in a rare Texas snow storm wound up with the bitch coming down with mastitis almost immediately, having to bottle feed eleven puppies pretty much from day one, and finally them loading two bitches and two litters totaling 18 puppies for a 23 hour drive to the other bitch's breeder so that she could have some help and support with them after her husband had unexpected work dumped in his lap and couldn't help her like they planned. To top it all off, there was a human medical emergency in the family. So she's been a bit busy....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Hi, and welcome to you and Team Hellhound and Team Hellcats? Or are they part of Team Hellhound too? This is exciting! Do you have puppy photos yet??

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I've not got any myself, but the breeder has a few on their Instagram account, and they are all gorgeous. She already thought she was a bit nuts for deciding to have two litters at the same time (they are about a week apart), but didn't expect it to be quite as hectic as it's turned out to be. What started with the bitch whelping in a rare Texas snow storm wound up with the bitch coming down with mastitis almost immediately, having to bottle feed eleven puppies pretty much from day one, and finally them loading two bitches and two litters totaling 18 puppies for a 23 hour drive to the other bitch's breeder so that she could have some help and support with them after her husband had unexpected work dumped in his lap and couldn't help her like they planned. To top it all off, there was a human medical emergency in the family. So she's been a bit busy....
Oh, no! How stressful.:( Hope every will be fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The puppies are starting to eat real food now, which at least takes away the round the clock bottle feeding, and the bitch is finally starting to really improve, and act like her normal self.

And the Feline Fiends are a rule unto themselves. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts