Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's strange to come to the poodle forum after 10 years. I lost touch with you but I still consider you as my family. Most of you probably won't know or remember me, I came here to learn about poodles when I started to search for a mini poodle. Thanks to your recommendations I found our baby Monti 10 years ago. We flew for him to California, back then we lived in NJ, recently we live in Florida, much nicer weather ;) Monti is still very healthy, the first year was a hell, before we switched him to home made raw food. He is still like a puppy, sweet and playful even sometimes is a big Alfa :D
Well, I'm thinking that I would like another mini as his playmate, my husband thinks that's not a good idea since he was growing by himself just with us. That's why I came here to ask you about your opinion. Thank you and if anybody remember us say Hi :giggle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have 2 poodles, but that's for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with one of the dogs being lonely. I find that poodles are focused on their owner's before anything else. You want a lonely poodle, one of you leave home for just a few hours, watch him on your remote camera and I guarantee you will see a lonely dog. So I would not get a 2nd poodle to satisfy some self imposed desire on your poodle. Sounds like your picking out a winter outfit for your dog and saying "I think he likes this one", knowing that it is your choice not his. As an observation, Our toy was 3 when I retired. I had always had large dogs growing up, my wife, small dogs. So it was time for me to get my own poodle, Latte. At 1st, there was much fighting, teasing and hoarding of toys and food, but as Latte got bigger and bigger, Janet relinquished all her powers to Latte. Latte has a different personality from most standards that I have been around, in that he is not a retriever, but a watch dog and hunter. He is protector of his territory and his little mate Janet. He sits on top of the hill and watches cars drive by, joggers and others walking their pets, but try to come to the gate and his huge bark will shake you to the bone. Once he is properly introduced, ie. the mailman, everything is cool. But he is constantly watching out for little Janet, if another dog get close, he immediately inserts himself in between, for the longest time we thought it was jealousy. But not too long ago, on an open beach, another larger dog, with malice chased after Janet, within a blink of an eye, Latte was all over the back of the mongrel. There was vicious growling and biting. The larger dog took off. He is definitely the Protector of his pack. You might feel sorry for him, because he never plays in public because he is always tense. He only plays with us. Watch dog is his job, and I think having a defined job makes him a well balanced dog, but he does sacrifice "puppy playfulness" for his watch dog role. Sorry for the long post, I just love my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
I don't think there's a good answer to this question. Both choices have drawbacks, both have positives.

I ultimately chose not to get a second dog with my senior girl because 1) I didn't want to mess with our wonderful bond or routines and 2) I didn't want to bring any unnecessary stress into her life.

Yes, it would have been nice to have a puppy learn the ways of the world from her. I'd love to see some of my beloved old Gracie's mannerisms in my new girl.

But ultimately I think I made the right decision for us. I cherished our increasingly precious together and poured all of my love straight into her.

We had such great times in her senior years. Our bond grew and grew. We discovered new activities she loved. And during her unexpectedly last year, when she slowed down so abruptly and considerably, was so very sore and fragile, and started showing cognitive decline (including having regular accidents in the house), I was so very grateful I didn't have a young dog there to pester her or split my focus.

She deserved all of me through that painful, golden time. ?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have 2 poodles, but that's for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with one of the dogs being lonely. I find that poodles are focused on their owner's before anything else. You want a lonely poodle, one of you leave home for just a few hours, watch him on your remote camera and I guarantee you will see a lonely dog. So I would not get a 2nd poodle to satisfy some self imposed desire on your poodle. Sounds like your picking out a winter outfit for your dog and saying "I think he likes this one", knowing that it is your choice not his. As an observation, Our toy was 3 when I retired. I had always had large dogs growing up, my wife, small dogs. So it was time for me to get my own poodle, Latte. At 1st, there was much fighting, teasing and hoarding of toys and food, but as Latte got bigger and bigger, Janet relinquished all her powers to Latte. Latte has a different personality from most standards that I have been around, in that he is not a retriever, but a watch dog and hunter. He is protector of his territory and his little mate Janet. He sits on top of the hill and watches cars drive by, joggers and others walking their pets, but try to come to the gate and his huge bark will shake you to the bone. Once he is properly introduced, ie. the mailman, everything is cool. But he is constantly watching out for little Janet, if another dog get close, he immediately inserts himself in between, for the longest time we thought it was jealousy. But not too long ago, on an open beach, another larger dog, with malice chased after Janet, within a blink of an eye, Latte was all over the back of the mongrel. There was vicious growling and biting. The larger dog took off. He is definitely the Protector of his pack. You might feel sorry for him, because he never plays in public because he is always tense. He only plays with us. Watch dog is his job, and I think having a defined job makes him a well balanced dog, but he does sacrifice "puppy playfulness" for his watch dog role. Sorry for the long post, I just love my dogs.
View attachment 463926
Thank you, I see your point, it was probably only my wish to have another playmate for him. BTW you have lovely happy babies, thank your sharing your story.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there's a good answer to this question. Both choices have drawbacks, both have positives.

I ultimately chose not to get a second dog with my senior girl because 1) I didn't want to mess with our wonderful bond or routines and 2) I didn't want to bring any unnecessary stress into her life.

Yes, it would have been nice to have a puppy learn the ways of the world from her. I'd love to see some of my beloved old Gracie's mannerisms in my new girl.

But ultimately I think I made the right decision for us. I cherished our increasingly precious together and poured all of my love straight into her.

We had such great times in her senior years. Our bond grew and grew. We discovered new activities she loved. And during her unexpectedly last year, when she slowed down so abruptly and considerably, was so very sore and fragile, and started showing cognitive decline (including having regular accidents in the house), I was so very grateful I didn't have a young dog there to pester her or split my focus.

She deserved all of me through that painful, golden time. ?
I'm sorry about Gracie, you were a good mom.
Thank you for your opinion, you are totally right, it would be nice to se them to play together but unfortunately some day it will be painful to see the puppy bothering him when he deserves his peace. See I didn't have a dog before, so I kind of don't know what to expect and I worry about that time, but after reading your post I worry less, thank you.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I see your point, it was probably only my wish to have another playmate for him. BTW you have lovely happy babies, thank you for sharing your story. Here is our Monti

1 - 6 of 6 Posts