Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here for a while. I have been so busy. I am going to be even more busy now. My poodle was at the groomers today. I stayed while she groomed him. He started to act ugly, but she showed him who was boss and he quit, he became a good boy. I am so glad he is doing better.
He is not nipping as bad, still does a little bit.
He still runs with Caleb, and sometimes grabs at his diaper, but that is not entirely his fault. Caleb loves to get him started. I refuse to disipline him for something he was given permission to do, whether by me or someone else. He does not understand that Caleb is 2 and 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sounds like a busy house for you. Do you have pictures? I am fairly new to the forum and noticed your thread was missed : (

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hey Debby! long time no see!! glad to hear you're having some sucess with Beau and his grooming! IA with Olie, we need to see PICS!! Especially if he's newly groomed! :)
Also I was going to comment on
He still runs with Caleb, and sometimes grabs at his diaper, but that is not entirely his fault. Caleb loves to get him started. I refuse to disipline him for something he was given permission to do, whether by me or someone else. He does not understand that Caleb is 2 and 1/2 years old.
In my opinion, dogs DO know that the person they're playing with is a little person... and I think you should discipline him everytime he puts his mouth on the baby... that way he'll just realise that touching the baby ever, in a rough way is simply not allowed.... even if he was provoked... dogs need to know it's never ok to retaliate. Our daughter is 2 (just had her birthday) and Rogan just knows, if she's running or freaking out or hitting him (which she seems to like to do to get his attention, and yes I discipline her too for that for sure) but he still cannot ever put his mouth on her or growl or do anything that might hurt her. Now, if she's bugging him, he often just walks away from her,and that is fine with me :) I have been very strict with him in this area from day one and I think it's paying off! He loves her to death and snuggles with her and is very soft and gentle for the most part so I think he's learning what behavior is ok and what is not!
Anyway, that's just MY OPINION!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree. Dog's should never pull on people's clothes - playing or not and snapping or growling is just out of the question toward babies. I would not tolerate it in a dog for a second. Even some "guard-dog" breeds are instinctively very gentle around human babies. Terriers have trouble as well as some other individual breeds, but POODLES are definitely expected to "play nice" :dancing: !!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you are so right . I am strict with him even though it bothers me to dissapline (sp?) for somethning hel didn't start. I also punish Caleb for it too and Sarah mommy gets very mad. It is my house, my, dog, and my rules in my home that work here if she doesn't like it then she will have to get another place to live. I would hate it, but my rules stand and that is thank. Now tell me I am right or wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts