Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we live in the country and we have an outside cat who keeps the mice away. The thing is, the cat likes to bring his kill to the welcome mat for us to see and tell him he's a good boy. All was fine, we would toss them into the pasture and he could either eat them or leave them out there. But now since we have Cash, all that has changed. Purrs (the cat) still kills the mice and brings them to the front door, but if we don't notice them right away, Cash will rush over to it and EAT IT. I have gone to the extent of physicall opening his mouth and shaking his head to get him to let go of the mouse! Why do they have to be so gross!

Maybe he's trying to tell us he wants the raw diet... lol

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Easy prey........can you really stop that? IDK but it is gross - yuck!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well...that is not gross - I mean mouse is not a gross animal to me LMAO - I find them very cute - yes stinky maybe LOL

My main concern would be the fact that rodents (mice and rats especially) are vectors of MANY diseases including very dangerous tapeworm :scared:.

I would talk with a vet about the whole situation :rolffleyes:

I hope you will find the solution soon !

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yummy! I can picture you trying to pry a dead mouse out of his mouth.

We have to be really careful here becase the mice and prarie dogs here have had outbreaks of plague (sp?) in the last few years which has made more than a few people sick from the droppings. The prarie dogs also carry rabies but I don't know if mice do.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mice can carry rabies--any mammal can.

I had a cat who was an excellent mouser, but he didn't eat the remains, just played kitchen floor hockey with the poor little thing's carcass.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same thing here. Our cat kills what I think are moles, well that's what they look like, only very small. So far we get them out of the yard/porch before Fly can get at them, but she will sniff them out to the fence!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mice and rats with rabies are extremely rare and there has not been a documented case in the US. (Small rodents are believe not to spread the disease because they seldom survive being bitten by an animal that is carrying it).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts