Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my new pup after I shaved her face, feet and some of the tail. I think she turned out alright.
Now, I need to find a way for my sheers to not give her razor burn. Poor thing! I will have to do some research on it.

ok..... here she is>>>>>

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just replied to your post on Poodle Grooming. If this your first attempt at poodle grooming, I think you did great. Sophie looks like a real cutie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Thanks! I will have to go look at the other post. I am in the air about the feet. The sheers really made them sore. So, thought might do those with scissors from now on. It's hard to get a close cut like that without any marks from the sheers. I will have to do some more research on it or something. Maybe if I grease the sheers more or something.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Love the pic with her face in the grass what a cutie pie! What kind of shears are you talking about. Clippers--if clippers what size blade are you using? Could be a blade that's made to cut very close and my be causing clipper burn (really friction irritation). With pup's starting out its best to stick with a #10 blade, maybe a #15 blade, but #10 is safer. Also you should always check the blade to make sure it's not getting too hot, that can also cause irritation. Sissoring feet is fine if you want "teddy feet" but it's pretty difficult, in not impossible to get the "poo" look with sissors. I also dab witch hazel on the feet right after I clip them for the first few times.
JMO Good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on the temp of your blades, they can heat up very quick. Check by touching the blade to your inner arm or cheek.

Also, are you keeping the blade flush against her skin? Shaving at too steep an angle can cause major razor burn.

She looks cute! I think you did a great job, especially for your first time. I do have a few tips, if you don't mind. :)
Fold her ear back against her head and shave all the way to the inside of the ear (carefully, that inner ear is delicate). The face line should form a triangle: from the inside of the ear, down to the throat, and straight across from each ear to the corner of each eye. That gives her improved air circulation for her ears, and also separates the face from the neck for an elegant look.

I hope that helps. You should have a lot of fun grooming her, she's very pretty! You should see some of the clips my poor Poodle had when I was starting out! You're off to a great start already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts