Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
Is this a recent picture? I don't mean to sound critical, but if it is, he looks very matted ....like down to the skin matted and I do hope you are brushing/combing down to his skin. Sorry, but matted poodle coats are a pet peeve of mine............I hope I am wrong!:confused2:

·
Registered
960 Posts
You had mentioned in Wilson's 52 week thread (https://www.poodleforum.com/35-52-weeks-your-poodle/264429-52-weeks-wilson-3.html) that you allowed his fur to air dry. I don't know much about grooming poodles with long fur, but there are a lot of suggestions in the grooming forum about dryers, specific conditioners, brushes, etc for poodles with long fur. Good luck!

Love his color and his eyes are striking :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a recent picture? I don't mean to sound critical, but if it is, he looks very matted ....like down to the skin matted and I do hope you are brushing/combing down to his skin. Sorry, but matted poodle coats are a pet peeve of mine............I hope I am wrong!:confused2:

Nope he’s not. The mats try to creep in but I comb him to the skin and tackle the issues as they come up. I appreciate your concern. After I comb him I generally spritz his hair so it will spiral into a nice wave on the outer layer and that must look funny to you. I wouldn’t let him mat up, that would be cruel and irresponsible. The puppy coat and adult coat are at odds right now. I realize many of you are groomers and he must be a sight to look at. Thanks to the forum though, I was for-warned about the perils of keeping a long coat, and I actually take it very seriously. I do my best and actually know about line brushing etc. We just adore him and I wanted to share a picture. Now I’m kind of embarrassed. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nope he’s not. The mats try to creep in but I comb him to the skin and tackle the issues as they come up. I appreciate your concern. After I comb him I generally spritz his hair so it will spiral into a nice wave on the outer layer and that must look funny to you. I wouldn’t let him mat up, that would be cruel and irresponsible. The puppy coat and adult coat are at odds right now. I realize many of you are groomers and he must be a sight to look at. Thanks to the forum though, I was for-warned about the perils of keeping a long coat, and I actually take it very seriously. I do my best and know about line brushing etc. We just adore him and I wanted to share a picture. Now I’m kind of embarrassed. Oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He’s cute, but as Molly said, make sure he doesn’t have any matts.

With the heat and everything, besides the fact that it looks so good, a classic poodle groom would do wonder !

Thanks, we avoid the heat of the day. Evenings and mornings are nice.

·
Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Nope he’s not. The mats try to creep in but I comb him to the skin and tackle the issues as they come up. I appreciate your concern. After I comb him I generally spritz his hair so it will spiral into a nice wave on the outer layer and that must look funny to you. I wouldn’t let him mat up, that would be cruel and irresponsible. The puppy coat and adult coat are at odds right now. I realize many of you are groomers and he must be a sight to look at. Thanks to the forum though, I was for-warned about the perils of keeping a long coat, and I actually take it very seriously. I do my best and know about line brushing etc. We just adore him and I wanted to share a picture. Now I’m kind of embarrassed. Oh well.

no need to be embarrassed. thanks for sharing your photos.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Aww he is a handsome boy. We all like a different looks to our poodles. I like the fluffy clean faced look. It works for me and I don't get as much debris coming in. But then I'm older and I hate cleaning now. LOL Its good to know that its the look you like, kinda doodles with a "real" poodle. You know what your doing and I bet he is just as soft and cuddly as my shaven poodle. I actually like the look too but for me its too much work to keep mat free, I like easy now. LOL He is a lovely boy !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aww he is a handsome boy. We all like a different looks to our poodles. I like the fluffy clean faced look. It works for me and I don't get as much debris coming in. But then I'm older and I hate cleaning now. LOL Its good to know that its the look you like, kinda doodles with a "real" poodle. You know what your doing and I bet he is just as soft and cuddly as my shaven poodle. I actually like the look too but for me its too much work to keep mat free, I like easy now. LOL He is a lovely boy !

It is a lot of work. Worth it for now:) Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Apologies if I said anything to offend. As I mentioned, I don't know anything about grooming dogs with long fur...that would be a lot of work, and I don't know if I am that brave! And yes, everyone has the right to style their dogs as they like 🙂 Congrats on your upcoming gotcha day!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hate to say you told me so- but lord the coat change is a game changer. As you know, I fought it and fought it, combed 3 times a day, tried all the products and finally bought an HV Dryer (wish I would’ve done that sooner) and still had to shave him down...and BOY IS HE HAPPY!!! Not only was it exhausting and yes he was hot, but frontline stopped working for him even though I parted the hair for application and applied at 3 week intervals. So the fleas, the heat and the fact that coat change is a 3 headed monster from outer space that basically takes over- we did what was right & I am convinced that the lovely puppy fur truly had to go- like it was at war with the adult coat. So, this is a re-set and we will go from here. I will be studying grooming videos and buying some good clippers;) thanks for your patience and friendship & check out the pic!

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
Good for you! You did what had to be done and what many before you have done too! You now have a happy and comfortable Spoo! Once he has gotten thru coat change, you can always grow a TK and Bracelets if you still want a little 'fluff' LOL! He is a very handsome guy!

·
Registered
960 Posts
He looks great! Glad he is happy with it. Neither of my dogs have very thick coats but I find they are much more comfortable with short hair in the summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts