Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we decided on Mocha!! After getting a new
picture today we decided on Mocha! Out black and white girl my kids named Leah and I got the privilege of naming our other soon coming pup. Leah and Mocha. Hoping to get new pics of Leah this week as well. They are 5 days apart. Different litters but same breeder.we get them the end of june

·
Registered
524 Posts
They are cute.

I would question why a breeder has their dogs on pine shavings though. I would think the strong pine smell would be bad for their lungs. Seriously.

I am hoping I’m not coming off as mean but when I see someone using shavings I think they would be keeping them outdoors or a garage ( because who wants shavings in their house? They attract bugs, and can have mites) . Are they just being lazy because they don’t want to clean up?If they are keeping them outdoors then why? How many litters do they have going ?Puppies should be raised indoors near people.

I raised my litter in my living room on washable bedding, with peepads in potty area. Yes it takes a lot of bedding change several times a day in the beginning to keep them clean but that should be part of raising puppies. Some use use wood pellets for potty area and I may try that in the future ( no time soon).

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I would question why a breeder has their dogs on pine shavings though. I would think the strong pine smell would be bad for their lungs.
This has been weighing on me, too. I even looked it up to see if I was being silly.

Do you have a good relationship with the breeder, amosely? Might be worth inquiring about.

You want your cute little girls to have the best possible start :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has been weighing on me, too. I even looked it up to see if I was being silly.

Do you have a good relationship with the breeder, amosely? Might be worth inquiring about.

You want your cute little girls to have the best possible start :)
Hi! Thank you for your concern. My friend has gotten 4 poodles across 15 years from this breeder. They have a unique set up where it is a farm with multiple families caring for the dogs. So yes more than one litter at a time but there are about 20 people helping. The dogs are in foster homes when not breeding or taking care of pups. This area is the staying area for where she takes some of the posed/professional pictures. It isnt where the pups stay. Thank you for your concern

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
The breeder concerns me as well. The white puppy has a funny looking right foot, it’s at a weird angle, and he seems to have a bad front. The other is hard to see. This looks like a backyard breeder setup. You can read many posts about ethical breeders on the forum.

Also, if not already done, you should read about the difficulties and challenges of raising two puppies at the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The breeder concerns me as well. The white puppy has a funny looking right foot, it’s at a weird angle, and he seems to have a bad front. The other is hard to see. This looks like a backyard breeder setup. You can read many posts about ethical breeders on the forum.

Also, if not already done, you should read about the difficulties and challenges of raising two puppies at the same.
What do you mean by a bad front? Her foot is hard to see well bc of the flooring...im not sure what you see that is off? The breeders are reputable. A close friend has known them for many years and gotten pups with no complications....we have read about there being issues with littermates...these two are not from the same litter and there are 6 of us..plenty of people to manage them. Thank you for your concern

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
What do you mean by a bad front? Her foot is hard to see well bc of the flooring...im not sure what you see that is off?
I mean bad angulation, which could cause joint problems, limping and/or chronic pain as the dog gets older. Sometimes it’s mostly aesthetics. You often see it in poorly bred dogs.

I hope this breeder does all the necessary testing but unless she is an ethical breeder with the betterment of the breed as a goal, there is a good chance she doesn’t and you need to be careful.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Congratulations on your two new furry family members, Leah and Mocha! I'm sure it's very hard to wait these last few weeks :).

I know you have concerns over "littermate syndrome" and as you know, the main risk of it simply comes from leaving the pups to rely on each other rather than taking the time to give them individual experiences as well as time together. I'm sure your kids are bonded to one another and to you and DH because you've done just that with them. You already know how to do this :).

·
Registered
201 Posts
her ears and her tail are so cute. you could also spell mocha as Moka. Moka is a coffee brand but I love unique spellings. lol. I always have the weirdest names. even my kids have weird ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts