Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have just spotted a tick on Jake, tried to remove it but it burst and i think the head is still in there. Should i be phoning the vet?? Im panicking at the moment and need some advice???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If you see the head just get some twizers dip them in alcohol and pull the head out. IMO this does not need a vet call.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've also heard that nail polish will sufficate it. Hopefully, after decapitation it may 'let go'. I would recommend clear if you decide to go that route. I would try alcohol first though. Much cleaner.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I've also heard that nail polish will sufficate it. Hopefully, after decapitation it may 'let go'. I would recommend clear if you decide to go that route. I would try alcohol first though. Much cleaner.
By what Shereen described she did not decapitate it she just took the body off. She has to pull the head out or it will not die , it will just grow another body.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
By what Shereen described she did not decapitate it she just took the body off. She has to pull the head out or it will not die , it will just grow another body.
Taking the body off the head or the head off the body is the definition of decapitation... or did I miss something?

Sounds like she pulled the body off, left the head in and needs to get the head out.

Tweezers and alcohol no vet needed :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Taking the body off the head or the head off the body is the definition of decapitation... or did I miss something?
You are right Todd , I just think differently I just know its not dead lol

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
You are right Todd , I just think differently I just know its not dead lol
HEHE!

I squished one on moose once thought I ripped it's body off but it just got so flat lol, it's head was still in there had to dig it out that was no fun...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
OMG...I needed a good giggle. Ticks are no fun. That's for sure. I didn't realize they would grow a new body. I just figured leaving the head in there would start a nasty infection.

Hopefully Jake is all better and gets to have a bone after all this trauma.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
HEHE!

I squished one on moose once thought I ripped it's body off but it just got so flat lol, it's head was still in there had to dig it out that was no fun...
I did the same when I encountered my first tick, I thought it was a mole because my rottie had a mole around her eye. I saw legs moving and I freaked out !!! I used pliers to get it out hahaha

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Get yourself a tick key for future incidents... I love these things and think every pet owner should have one, since animals are not immune to getting them (even if you use flea & tick meds) and those damn tweezers never work the way you want them too when you're frantic! ;)

http://www.tickkey.com/

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lol in the video, it was the same dog each time they showed how to use the Tick Key, someone must seriously live in tick city! That poor dog! lol

In my area, there isn't even any fleas, and ticks are rare, though when I get my poodles and train them for game retrieving I may have to get one of those!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I was grooming Grace for Dianne one day and I thought I saw a big mole too when the hair blew apart. On closer inspection, it was a fully blown up tick. I grabbed it with tweezers and managed to squish it too! They I had to do the digging thing. They are so nasty. I'll have to look at those keys. We gat a fair amount of ticks up here in Vermont.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mix some dish soap with a bit of water.
Soak a cotton ball in it.
Apply the cotton ball to the tick and hold for about half a minute.
The tick usually comes off attached to the cotton ball.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use a lighter and a needle. Heat up the end of the needle and put right against the head and you will see it back right off and release from the skin. The heat has never hurt the dogs and I recently had to remove approx 10-12 from the two rescue poodles that I groomed a few months back. Worked like a charm.

Good other methods also. I didnt know alcohol did the trick too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use a lighter and a needle. Heat up the end of the needle and put right against the head and you will see it back right off and release from the skin. The heat has never hurt the dogs and I recently had to remove approx 10-12 from the two rescue poodles that I groomed a few months back. Worked like a charm.

Good other methods also. I didnt know alcohol did the trick too.
I was going to suggest the hot needle, works every time! my aunt lives in the country and places the ticks in a can of gasoline to kill them after removing since they are hard to kill.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This is gross, but I once had a tick, when I was a teenager. I went to bed (in Toronto in the middle of the city) and woke up with a tick in my armpit. And believe me I knew it was there, it hurt! My mom doused it with alcohol, which got it squirming and me squealing and pulled it out. Yuck it was so gross. I have no idea where it came from, as ticks are not at all common in the city. I think one of the dogs picked it up somewhere and brought it home with them.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Luckily not speaking from experience, I've also heard the same thing about the nail polish. I could see how that would be a bit tricky on a dog, especially with some of the fluffs on the poodles! I believe it's the same concept as the flame. They breathe through their rear ends, so you remove the oxygen and they back out a little more to expose more of their body and breathe more. Repaint and it backs out more.

*shudder* Now I'm completely itchy, too!

How is your doggie?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replys everyone!!! I ended up phoning the vet last night. They said to clean the area in salt water, and to bring Jake in today for a check up. They said he might need antibiotics. But i think he's ok.
I was sooooooo panicking last night lol.
Maby someone should open a thread for ticks?? I know as a new dog owner, i didnt have a clue about them.

Thanks everyone :drool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts