Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how I do his top knot with one band ( yes I know not the right bands)

before I combed him

after

parting right at the eye ( says to for puppies in the complete poodle book)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Banded first part ( I am not sure if I did this backwards which is done first ?)

Then I took comb and used tooth of comb to pull the band up to create bubble

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
video lol

but it looks kind of funny to me with all the hair around his face ? so I added second band ( i know I did this wrong)

·
Registered
25 Posts
You did it great! That is pretty much how to do it! His hair is long enough though to start banding all around his head, bc if your not carefull it will get dirty and break. Good job

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much hair do you put for the second band? I notice on some dogs they grab the hair on the side so you can see where you trim like this

are we supposed to part the hair where his ear starts ?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Are you talking about for show? Or for home maintenance?

If for show, I think you need to go a little farther back behind the eye and take up more hair. Then the bubble needs to be fuller and the back of the band needs to be pulled "down" tight towards the skull. Again, I'm not good at this and I'm on my third show coat... it is why I use a pro.

If you are talking about home maintenance, I would part the hair down the middle and band back both sides to at least the occiput. Are you using a knitting needle to part the hair? If not, go get one. It makes the job so much easier. Also, you should think about wrapping. I know it looks dorky, but it really does save the hair because you don't have to use as many bands on each section of hair.

Finally.... are you wrapping those ears? Time to start. When does this boy go into pattern?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you talking about for show? Or for home maintenance?

If for show, I think you need to go a little farther back behind the eye and take up more hair. Then the bubble needs to be fuller and the back of the band needs to be pulled "down" tight towards the skull. Again, I'm not good at this and I'm on my third show coat... it is why I use a pro.

Finally.... are you wrapping those ears? Time to start. When does this boy go into pattern?
I am talking about for show I need to practice how to do it my self, I don't have that kind of money right now to have some one groom him for every show lol My sister does his body and I guess I been dubbed " I do his top knot better than she can lol"

I think The book said about half inch or one inch ( I will have to go look)behind the eye for adults I will try this tonight and take more pictures. I did it right at the eye.

We wrap his ears some times not all of the time I will tell my sister to start wrapping his ears.

He goes into pattern in 2 months Oct to be exact. So we are trying to get his neck hair to grow more. and his top knot. I hope he looks ok by then. I was kind of worried about his pompons being too short on his hips ,but when the groomer trimmed him she told us that to let it grow and do not shape him down like how she did it. So we have not clipped him his hair, it has grown a lot since june.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Once in pattern, this boy is going to have to sit out and grow hair on his head and neck. It is just a fact of life. Banding, wrapping and that satin collar will help keep the ends of the hair from breaking.

The next time you go to a show, ask one of the pros to show you how to do the bubble. There really are a couple of tricks to it that the books just never tell you. You have to pull the bubble forward, pull up the center of the hair to tighten the sides, and then pull down the back of the band so that it gives the bubble more of a pompadour look.

If you see Laurel again, she will help you when she is free. She is great about mentoring people.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just wanted to throw out there he looks great, Roxy! His top knot really is growing, such a striking red boy! Looks like your doing fine, keep practicing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I normally will do the first banding from each corner of the eyes across and then start the second one right where the ears start. But if you go farther it is fine, BUT JUST DONT GO PAST HIS STOP. They can dock you for that. it is only legal to do it before the stop. I will post pictures tonight.

How much hair do you put for the second band? I notice on some dogs they grab the hair on the side so you can see where you trim like this

are we supposed to part the hair where his ear starts ?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I normally will do the first banding from each corner of the eyes across and then start the second one right where the ears start. But if you go farther it is fine, BUT JUST DONT GO PAST HIS STOP. They can dock you for that. it is only legal to do it before the stop. I will post pictures tonight.
I am not sure I am understanding what you mean don't go pass his stop?

I don't think Enzo has hair at the stop ?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think she meant occiput not stop.

He has some good hair! If I were you, I'd start wrapping it. You might want to wrap down his neck too. You haven't been trimming that hair have you? If so, STOP. I would be concentrating on his future continental and not worrying about his puppy trim right now.

Gosh! He is a great color!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

He has some good hair! If I were you, I'd start wrapping it. You might want to wrap down his neck too. You haven't been trimming that hair have you? If so, STOP. I would be concentrating on his future continental and not worrying about his puppy trim right now.

We have yet to trim him since the groomer helped us in June. I just told my sister what you said about when he is in clip he has to sit out for a while so it can grow.

Ironically i think we have no shows after he is in clip for at least 3 months, There is on that is at a UKC show but they don't care how your poodle is groomed really lol.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I recommend these grooming Videos from "The Styling Academy" by Philip Langdon (a Master of the art). They show the skills and techniques on how you need to do they top knot and show cuts as well as others. I got Modules 2, 3 & 4.
Module 2 - The Lamb Trim plus Extra Features
Module 3 - Puppy Pants & Show Preparations (Maintenance and show bathing)
Module 4 - Continental & English Saddle Trims (I recommend this one for your top knot questions even how to spray it.)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Where is the occiput located ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi the occiput is the little boney bump at the back of his head in the middle. That is how far I band my toys in coat.

I have found keeping it oiled up helps to grow coat and stops it knotting up.

What Phillip Langdon doesnt know about grooming a poodle is not worth knowing! he has won groomer of the year many times in the UK and has campaigned a fair few champions.

I wouldn't worry about a 2nd band yet he looks just right with one at the moment.

I have included a picture of Dom with one band in at around 18 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi the occiput is the little boney bump at the back of his head in the middle. That is how far I band my toys in coat.

I have found keeping it oiled up helps to grow coat and stops it knotting up.

What Phillip Langdon doesnt know about grooming a poodle is not worth knowing! he has won groomer of the year many times in the UK and has campaigned a fair few champions.

I wouldn't worry about a 2nd band yet he looks just right with one at the moment.

I have included a picture of Dom with one band in at around 18 months.
Thanks for the info and pictures Dom is so beautiful !

I think I see what I have to do I will post more pictures tonight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts