Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Standard is having some issues as of lately.

1.) Every once in a while she will stand up to the kitchen counter and try to eat the food off of it. We rarely catch her.

2.) She has been jumping over the fence and takes off throughout the neighborhood. Heck she did it right in front of me when I opened the gate and took off. Took me awhile to find her. I am thinking she could be in heat. She is a little over 8 months old and has not been spayed yet.

3.)Won't quit digging holes. They are just little deep narrow holes all over the yard. I have filled them with black pepper and feces but nothing works. I am wondering if she is looking for moles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Molly is a digger. She likes to dig down to find the cool ground underneath. I would make sure your dog has lots of shade and an area where it's "okay to do dog stuff" like digging. Then teach other areas are off limits. Counters... keep them clear of EVERYTHING. Boy, the jumping, that's a problem....

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's hard to stop the eating off the counters, because they get "rewarded" every time they do it. Some people have tried leaving "bait" on the counter, attached to some cans or other noisy things so they get scared.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It sounds like to me that she is board. I would exercise her more. My Pit Cici will jump the fence but if I take her for a good romp a few times a week she is fine. She is probably digging out of boredom as well. For getting food off of the counter I would put up a baby gate to keep her out when you are home and crate her when you leave.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definitely time to spay her. Depending on how smart she is you may or may not be able to stop her from "counter surfing." you can try, putting double backed tape around the counter so when her paws touch it, she won't like he feel. you have to leave it on a while.. (and your kitchen will look silly)... or if she is as smart as Carlo our 5 year old, he just grabbed the tape in his mouth and ripped it off. he looked at me, as if saying..."What is that about." I even tried scram mats ... he touched them and they set off a loud sound.. he figured out how to toss those on the floor with his snoot.
He is just noisey and likes to see what is up there. He will get down if I ask him nicely and say thank you. But yelling at him or grabbing his feet and putting him down does not work. Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts