Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all of you.

I’ve had my little man for a month. He is wonderful and perfect! He is 3 years old.

We set up a little pen area to keep him in when we leave to run errands. It has his bed, toys, food water and pee pads.

He has run of the house when we are around and bring him out with us to all the pet friendly places that allow him inside.

So he is only left in there for short periods of time and did very very well until about a week ago, he has now started to rip up his pee pads into a million pieces.

At first it was funny but not when he goes to the bathroom then shreds it lol!

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

He likes his pen as it has a door and he will randomly walk in it and go in there willingly. The issue is the ripping and destroying of the pee pads.

Thank you!

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I first got my puppy I used LennyPads which are washable.

I got an IRIS puppy pad holder to prevent my puppy from chewing or moving the pad around.

Just figure out the size pads you want and get a holder to fit them.

LennyPad
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072JH49SQ/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IRIS Holder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MYOINU/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, if I had it to do over I’d skip the puppy pad phase and start taking her outside to potty from day one.

She loved her potty pad... as her favorite lounge chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh she’s so cute!!

He does go outside and enjoys going out, we just keep it in there for when we are out and cannot take him, he will then use the pee pad and shred it lol!

He just started this a week ago. Before he would use it and left it.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
A three year old dog should be able to hold his bladder for "short periods of time" and actually longer (read several hours). I don't think I understand why you think you need the pads unless he isn't actually housebroken.

We housebroke our dogs mostly without pads since Lily decided to shred them right after Peeves came home. For Javelin I bought one pack of ten pads. I still have seven of them. I used the other three to wipe up after him when he was little and had oopsies while we were out and about.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
If I have to step out for a few hours I’ll leave one and he will pee If he needs to.

I still don't think I understand why you think you need to leave a pad. Just take him out before you leave and make sure he empties his bladder. If he can sleep through the night without peeing then he should be able to hold his bladder for a few hours.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do take him before hand. He will still pee if he has too on his pee pad, I’m not sure what you aren’t understanding. My post was asking for suggestions not to be criticized so if you are just going to be rude please just stop replying to my thread.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Well my intention was not to be rude, but I do not understand why a housebroken three year old dog even if a tpoo can't be left without a pee pad for a few hours. I guess I am an idiot. Don't worry though I won't say anything else about this matter since clearly you don't seem to understand why I think you shouldn't need pee pads for housebroken dogs unless you are leaving them far longer than they can be expected to hold their bladder. I was trying to help you but you haven't understood what I have said much better than I have understood anything you have said. I wish you luck and hope that a smart person can help you. I'm done, have better ways to spend my time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would do away with it if he didn’t use it but I noticed at times he does which is why it’s there in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would do away with it if he didn’t use it but I noticed at times he does which is why it’s there in the first place.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Vanityfur, stop being defensive and start listening to people who know what they are talking about. Your 3 year old toy is way too old to be using pads. Take up the darn pad and your boy will hold it next time and you won't have to deal with a shredded pad. Problem solved! Stop making it so complicated.

I'm sure you think I was MUCH more rude than Catherine (who wasn't rude at all in my opinion and was just trying to help you).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
He’s using them because they are there and pee pads are scented to encourage dogs to go on them. Unless he’s not fully house trained take them up and he shouldn’t feel the need to pee inside.
If he isn’t properly house trained and you feel you must leave something to save your flooring then they make fabric washable pee pads though they mayb encourage him more to pee on other things like blankets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I’m not sure why you are being rude. He is a tiny poodle who goes out, I felt making him hold it if I’m out for more than an hour was unnecessary. There is no need to attack me

Maybe you can fix your attitude in 2019
Thnx

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
In my experience of 65 years of dog ownership, if you leave a pee pad, a towel, a blanket, anything soft, in the crate many dogs will choose to pee on it. Some dogs tear up pee pads, blankets, towels etc because it is either fun or they are bored. If your kiddo likes to tear up pee pads while you are gone, the only thing to do to prevent this is to NOT leave a pee pad. You can not prevent that problem if you are not home to stop the behavior.

It has been my habit to leave NOTHING in the crate or pen that a dog can either pee on or tear up. When Poppy was a kid if I left a blanket or towel in her crate and left the house she would pee on it. If I left nothing in the crate she would just sleep....not peeing in the empty crate either.

Most adult dogs, if they are already reliably potty trained at times when you are at home do not need a pad or anything else on which to pee if you are going to be gone for an hour or several hours. For decades I had dogs and I worked outside the home and would be gone 8-9 hrs per day. None of them peed in the house and none of them suffered for not being able to go out during the day. Usually when I arrived home they were more interested in greeting me and in eating than in going outside immediately.

Just sharing some of my decades of dog ownership experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I think what others are trying to say is try not to use a potty pad, without it he should hold it and not pee in his pen. I have a small chihuahua who is now elderly, if I gave him a phd he would probably pee on it, they re scented to get them to pee. I don't use pads, he goes out 4x a day 6am, 1pm, 5 pm and 9pm. Never an accident. Try not to put a phd in a few times and see if he holds it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm definitely in agreement with others who have chimed in to say that you are better off to just have him hold it. That being said, I would switch to pine pellets if you feel you MUST leave a potty spot for him. Get a small shallow storage bin (Or even a cat litter pan if he's small enough) and have him use it like a litter box. That's what I'm doing with my pup for now because I don't want pee and poo getting ground into the crate bottom if he has to go before I take him out. I get the pine pellets at the feed store, and I can't imagine they will be similar enough to anything in my house to tempt him to pee inside when he has earned more house freedom.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Here's pee pad tray that I use. The 23x24 wee-wee pads fit perfectly in it, and it's a snap to use and zip to clean. The one suggested by I rarely walk my toy outside so it works great for me, plus I work, and never have a fleas or ticks as a result, but if I lived in a house I'd take her to the backyard. When I do take her out I do it before planning to give her a bath, that's how much I hate fleas.

https://www.chewy.com/dogit-clean-training-pad-holder/dp/50630
https://www.chewy.com/wee-wee-pet-training-puppy-pads-22-x/dp/47514

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your responses. I’ll try not leaving the pee pad, I’ve just always had one and he used it so I didn’t want to take it away and make him hold it.

He is only 3 pounds so he’s quite small, I felt bad, but I’ll give it a try.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 30 Posts